LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Which is the better car
Mercedes S-Class
28.24%
Lexus LS430
71.76%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-03, 06:12 AM
turnne1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Japanese luxo car will cost 25% more then a regular.
I would doubt the accuracy of that article....that would mean that an new LS430 would only cost 25% more over a 4-5 year period than a Toyota Camry....that would be hard to believe as even an oil change has to be twice the price..as there are other systems that need maintenance that the Camry doesn't even have...suspension components,cabin air filters...etc..etc

Warren
1992 300SD
Columbus Ohio
Old 02-11-03, 07:18 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know..I've owned a GS for three and a half years and I've not spent anything substantial on it. My suspension still passes the bounce test and my tires are still good after 30k. My brakes have a lot of pad left on them. Basic oil changes are more then a toyota dealer would charge, $50 versus $35, and service is more. I don't know how much MB service costs but for my car and it's similar to a LS430 in terms of cost. Not exactly but similar enough.

$525-30k
$925-60k

Given the Lexus is more then likely to need very few repairs outside of basic maintenance I would say the numbers could very well be accurate.

I am surprised that audi, bmw, and mercedes have to use free maintenance as a selling tool. I guess it's built in the higher msrp.

Of course, YMMV.

Last edited by meanboy; 02-11-03 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-11-03, 11:02 AM
turnne1
Driver School Candidate

well there you have it...you have just disproved the article...as the figures you quoted are more than 25% more

Warren
1992 300SD
Columbus Ohio
Old 02-11-03, 12:05 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Now, you're splitting hairs. Even if oil changes are indicative of the difference, and they are not because I quoted a sales price for an oil change at a Toyota dealer, then the costs still do not represent a significant change in maintenance costs. $50 is at the high end of the spectrum. Other Lexus dealers charge less then that.

Please feel free to use your numbers to disprove the article that it's not 100% more in maintenance for German luxury cars. Hint: If you like to bolster your position, perhaps, you could discuss what kind of selling tools German automakers are using in regards to maintenance.
Old 02-11-03, 12:16 PM
turnne1
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE]Originally posted by meanboy
[B]Now, you're splitting hairs. Even if oil changes are indicative of the difference, and they are not because I quoted a sales price for an oil change at a Toyota dealer, then the costs still do not represent a significant change in maintenance costs. $50 is at the high end of the spectrum. Other Lexus dealers charge less then that.

why would it not be indicative of the difference?...you were talking maintenance right?...is that not part of maintenance?
I am sure if you do the research $50.00 is by no means at the high end of the spectrum

in regard to bolstering my position..I don't need to...all I am speaking to at this time is the fact that you stated the article said the cost of Japanese luxury was only 25% more than a regular car

I guess the $25K question what do you consider a regular car?

Warren
1992 300SD
Columbus Ohio
Old 02-11-03, 12:27 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by turnne1
[B]
Originally posted by meanboy
Now, you're splitting hairs. Even if oil changes are indicative of the difference, and they are not because I quoted a sales price for an oil change at a Toyota dealer, then the costs still do not represent a significant change in maintenance costs. $50 is at the high end of the spectrum. Other Lexus dealers charge less then that.

why would it not be indicative of the difference?...you were talking maintenance right?...is that not part of maintenance?
I am sure if you do the research $50.00 is by no means at the high end of the spectrum

in regard to bolstering my position..I don't need to...all I am speaking to at this time is the fact that you stated the article said the cost of Japanese luxury was only 25% more than a regular car

I guess the $25K question what do you consider a regular car?

Warren
1992 300SD
Columbus Ohio
I am willing to bet you won't find many higher then $50 for an oil change for the Lexus. As least mine, you won't. Unfortunately, I live in one of the most expensive cities in the U.S.

Since you would rather state your position is correct and you are unwilling to prove it but rather write that I disproved the article I'll leave you to your own devices.

Thanks for playing.
Old 02-11-03, 12:45 PM
turnne1
Driver School Candidate

I am willing to bet you won't find many higher then $50 for an oil change for the Lexus. As least mine, you won't. Unfortunately, I live in one of the most expensive cities in the U.S.

55.00 Lexus(Ohio)...not sure where you live....new Mercedes is free.
old benz $53(I paid the last time)
Accord,camry..Ford ,chevy..average $25-30 at the dealer
Prevailing dealer labor rates here are 68-75 per hour FYI

55-30 equals 25...percentage of difference is 45%(MORE THAN 25%)...so is that article accurate?

and then there are those cars(Honda accord) as I recall that almost need nothing but oil changes until 100K

or maybe you can reread it and relate the accurate information

Warren
1992 300SD
Columbus
Old 02-27-03, 04:52 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430

Originally posted by fvellani
LETS POLL IT GUYS
The S-class is a master limousine. The Lexus is not even in the ball park, it is an imposter. You ought to compare the E-class to the LS4XXX
Old 03-03-03, 06:19 PM
the man

sup guys, im a new member, im a member at mb world.org also, i was reading their debate on this. i personally think the LS430 is a better value car, but if ur going for name, might as well get the S class. we have a S430 and we enjoy it a lot, the engine has enough power to pull the big tank around. safety wise, i would go with the s also, check this thread out just for one example- link

also the shape of the S is a lot better, but im sure lexus will improve in 2004 from what ive heard on autospies, not sure if they are a legit source.
anyways, didnt want to put down any of the cars, anyone who has either of them should be satisfied and thankful for it.
peace.
Old 03-03-03, 07:43 PM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Default the man

the quote "....anyone who has either of them should be satisfied and thankful for it..." is by far the most appropo point to date. Good point, the man.

Why people like to put another car down beats me ?? If you have $60+K to plunk down on any of these fine vehicles, you have made it. Who cares what the other person thinks about your vehicular choice ? You are buying it for YOU. S-class, E-class, LS-class, 7-series, 5-series.... these are all very nice, comfortable, luxurious, powerful, expensive vehicles. I am just happy I can afford to drive an LS.
Old 04-27-03, 09:14 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Re: Re: MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430

Originally posted by ychachad
The S-class is a master limousine. The Lexus is not even in the ball park, it is an imposter. You ought to compare the E-class to the LS4XXX
I'd be very critical on that statement, My LS400 1994 has better ride then my aunts 2002 S500. And just recently we concluded the S500 has the best ride quality in the S-Class. And even weirder is your sig, AFIK the S-Class doens't have an AMG version cept the S55 (but that's not even cool because its a v8 )

EDIT: I'm sorry, I was also a bit dead when i wrote this. I just remembered your S-Class is also a old body, which i'm dead in love with. That s-class was the master limo! The news ones,, eh.

Last edited by vraa; 04-27-03 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-28-03, 11:31 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430

You are correct. My S420 is not a "True AMG", but an honorary AMG with modified computer chip, AMG exhaust, and AMG wheels, and some other mods which allow me to squeeze about 300 hp out of the old W140 chassis. Hey, I love my LS400, but they are not comparable cars. The LS400 has a softer ride, and rides seemingly better, but the S-class handles better, and has more road feel to it, and absorbs shocks better, making it, an overall better riding car. The LS400 engine is as smooth as silk. The S-class is a wee bit boomier, but better insulated. Here's to two of the best sedans in the world.
Here is a picture I took of my Benz, if interested.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...threadid=37063

I understand this is not an MB forum, but since this post is related, I do not mind posting the link. Comments welcome.

Originally posted by vraa
I'd be very critical on that statement, My LS400 1994 has better ride then my aunts 2002 S500. And just recently we concluded the S500 has the best ride quality in the S-Class. And even weirder is your sig, AFIK the S-Class doens't have an AMG version cept the S55 (but that's not even cool because its a v8 )

EDIT: I'm sorry, I was also a bit dead when i wrote this. I just remembered your S-Class is also a old body, which i'm dead in love with. That s-class was the master limo! The news ones,, eh.

Last edited by ychachad; 04-29-03 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-28-03, 06:41 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430

Originally posted by ychachad
You are correct. My S420 is not a "True AMG", but an honorary AMG with modified computer chip, AMG exhaust, and AMG wheels, and some other mods which allow me to squeeze about 300 hp out of the old W140 chassis. Hey, I love my LS400, but they are not comparable cars. The LS400 has a softer ride, and rides seemingly better, but the S-class handles better, and has more road feel to it, and absorbs shocks better, making it a overall better riding car. The LS400 engine is smooth as silk. The S-class is boomier, but better insulated. Here's to two of the best sedans in the world.
Here is a picture I took of my Benz, if interested.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...threadid=37063

I understand this is not an MB forum, but since this post is related, I do not mind posting the link. Comments welcome.
Very nice! I like you a lot! I may have come a little hostile in my previous posts so please forgive me! Have you done track times for your car?
Old 05-02-03, 07:26 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Lexus LS430 and SC430 KING AGAIN !!!

This and J D Power, Consumer Report, Consumer Digest.......
Only idiots will deny that the LS430 is not in the same class as ANY premium luxury car.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 05-02-03 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-03-03, 12:35 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default youre the idiot

if youre foolish enough to think that the sc430 is in the same league as the sl 500. and arrogant to boot.

Quick Reply: MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430