LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lower EGR tube Seal Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 09:30 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lower EGR tube Seal Off

1996 LS with 210K miles.
I knew I had a cracked lower EGR pipe because of the engine noise.
I went to a local muffler shop, and ask the owner to loose the two nuts that connect the lower end of EGR tube to the exhaust pipe (just before the cat converter).
Working under the car and without removing the cat converter, the owner heated the nuts with a burner. He then used a short flex-head ratchet with a 12mm socket to loose the nuts. Got the lower half of broken EGR tube and gasket, put them back with a piece of sheet metal to seal off the hole. After the sealoff, the engine became much quieter.
The owner charged me $8.14. I gave him $20 and no changes.
The owner also quoted me $90 for labor to get the upper half EGR tube and put a new tube in if I wanted it.
I am debating myself whether it is worth of spending $220 to put a new tube in (tube and gaskets will cost $130).
What's the long term effects or no effects if the upper half of the broken egr tube stays open all time (I know the EGR valve will close after the engine is heated). Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by dashan; 06-17-11 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-17-11, 08:52 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

You know what would make a ton of people happy here (including myself) - get him to do it while you watch, and take a video or a load of pictures of it and notes how he does it. I've read he has to take off the cat.

If the tube is leaking (like mine, big time), then instead of burnt exhaust entering the cylinders, you just get plain air, which is no different to the air going in through the intake. Hence there won't be any moderation of the combustion gases - the temperature will be slightly higher and can (apparently) damage the engine over time. Mine's been holed for at least 2-3 years now, but the noise is annoying.
Old 06-18-11, 06:19 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The EGR system is not fitted to JDM models as it is not required in Japan.
Mine is an import,has no EGR (all blanked off) and therefore non of the problems associated with the EGR system.
The engine runs no different to the EGR engine.
Old 06-19-11, 10:40 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Update
I added two pieces of sheet metal to cover the hole on the exhaust manifold in front of the cat converter that originally connects to the egr tube.
The two nuts can be reached from the engine bay (not under the car) at the passenger side. A 12mm flex stubby gearwrench works at that small place very well.

Last edited by dashan; 06-19-11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-19-11, 12:15 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

So do you think there's any way to get off the old pipe and put a new one on without taking off the cat? (Its just that I already bought the pipe).
Old 06-19-11, 03:50 PM
LSproject
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently changed my old broken EGR pipe. If you want to replace the bottom half of the pipe than taking off the intake manifold would be the best option to go (other than removing the tranny). I've tried every possible way to get to the 2 top bolts of the lower EGR pipe and it's pretty much impossible.
Old 06-19-11, 06:37 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by deanbrown3
So do you think there's any way to get off the old pipe and put a new one on without taking off the cat? (Its just that I already bought the pipe).
No, I don't think that you could get the top two nuts without removing the cat converter if you try from under the car.

Get the lower two nuts at the exhaust pipe (from engine bay or from under the car without removing the cat converter), and then seal the hole on the exhaust pipe is what I did. I am also going to fibricate an airfilter and put it in the EGR line, since the upper half of my broken egr tube stays open. In this way, you don't have check engine light on, and you have clean air through the egr line when the car starts.

The car drives like a lexus after I put three layers of sheet metal to cover the hole, on top of which sits lower half of the completely broke egr tube.
Old 06-20-11, 10:05 AM
Rudee023
Driver School Candidate

If the pipe is left open to fresh air after you close off the exhaust part, isn't it letting unmetered air into the engine. (not seen by the MAF)
Old 06-20-11, 10:32 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

From what I read in the forum, the egr valve will close after the engine is heated, so there will be no no-metered air at that time from the egr line.
Old 07-28-11, 04:23 AM
fluxedup
Driver School Candidate

Default I believe that the post 92 egr valves are controlled by a stepper motor....

and not by vacuum. On my 94 the constant heat had caused my steppper motor to not step , open or closed. With the broken egr tube providing a source of unmetered combustion air if the valve fails open you will have a lean burn condition , which is never a good thing. I miss the good old days of non computer control, and even the not as good ole days when the computer controller was simple and it relied on simple sensors and parts........
Old 07-28-11, 04:55 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

on my old 97, we had to remove the RH cat to replace the tube, the top bolts were harder to put back in than they were to get out. there is no magic, just keep on trying until it starts... but the quiteness is worth it.
Old 07-29-11, 06:33 PM
RAINBOW
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixing EGR Valve on LS

I had a broken EGR pipe on my 93', one guy had told how he had removed his, brazed it and put it back on in 1 hr or an hour and a half. So I figured I could do the job at least that quick. Well the top 2 bolts were right in the open...very easy and took 10-15 minutes. The bottom bolts on the r-cat were harder to do because I only had the right side jacked up about a foot (just enough room to squeeze under the car. That took about an hour. But the hardest bolt was the 12mm middle bolt that goes to the back of the r-head, that supports the tube half way up. That took about 3 hrs. from what I remember, because it has to be done by feel. Some people get that bolt out in 10 minutes. I don't know why people always talk about dropping transmissions and exhausts, or removing intake manifolds, I didn't do any of that. It's not an easy job, but where there's a will, there's a way.
Old 09-27-11, 03:05 PM
Dwan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
on my old 97, we had to remove the RH cat to replace the tube, the top bolts were harder to put back in than they were to get out. there is no magic, just keep on trying until it starts... but the quiteness is worth it.
Hello how's it going..? I have a 1997 sc400 engine and the egr pipe is broke do you have any ideal where I can get another one, I been every where and can't find it , thanks and have a bless day !!!!
Old 10-03-11, 08:51 AM
RAINBOW
Driver School Candidate

When I did my pipe a new one was around $125.00 (from the dealer) I reused my gaskets. I took my cracked pipe to a welder and he brazed it for $15.00 (I gave him $20.00) that was 3 yrs. ago and still quiet. I did not put the middle bolt back in (I believe the pipe has less stress on it this way, and is alowed to flex when needed).