LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Near blowout ruins Fuel pump relay and wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 12:55 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramo1246
ive been looking online found some driver side airbags for 50 to 100 bucks, do any of you think it would be safe to install the airbags and steering column by myself?
im not bad at replacing parts on the engine but i never dealt with the airbag, i dont want to waste my money on a broken nose ill get by installing it.
but im really thinking of just doing what sdls said JUNK IT
you can install it just fine.
make sure the battery is completeky diconnected. positive and negative, wait 5-10 minutes to let the system de-energize..

out with the old,in qith the new. when its all back together, hook up the battery positive first, then negative. and youre in front of the car, so if by some freak incident occurs, your nose will be safe.

but as I said earlier, do the shock sensor and harness, if there is damage inside the wire loom you cannot see, the new to you airbag WILL deploy as soon as the battery is hooked up. do it right the first time. when it comes to safety and protecting your noggin, nothing is worth doing a half-*** job.

I have never encountered a deployed airbag preventing a car from running.

and

I do not think the total repair should be more than $1000. dont quote me on that. but I cant imagine it being that much. source it out and get the absolute best deal.

dont junk the car over a couple broken wires. take the time to learn to fix it, that way you save money,gain experience, and the ability to help other people who may need it.
Old 07-01-11, 12:58 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

and yes, the airbag system is the big yellow loom.
Old 07-01-11, 02:19 PM
ramo1246
Driver School Candidate

ok i took my tire off to get a better look at the wires, from what i see theres only one wire that is completely broken and like trees others that are striped two are striped all the way and the other is barley stripped.

As for the broken wire 2 of the little copper wires are shorter than the others not being able to reach the others, would this still be able to work without ever piece of copper reaching each other or must they all be connected?

and for the stripped wires, can i just use electrical tape to cover them, i used to work for a solar company and we used to tape showing copper from being exposed and causing a short in the system, would this work for this car as well?

im posting a video to give a better description of the problem it also includes that fuel pump relay that i was mentioning.
Old 07-01-11, 02:36 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

yes the tape is fine on the stripped wires. black electrical is preffered.

as for the cut wire. you could just add or splice a segment in. 2 regular ol but connecters will do just fine to make sure all is well and to check for anything else not working. these connectors have a tendency to cause resistance and not suitable for some applications. for for now,they will be fine.
Old 07-01-11, 02:53 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by emarknot
yes the tape is fine on the stripped wires. black electrical is preffered.

as for the cut wire. you could just add or splice a segment in. 2 regular ol but connecters will do just fine to make sure all is well and to check for anything else not working. these connectors have a tendency to cause resistance and not suitable for some applications. for for now,they will be fine.
Black electrical tape is preffered? Please, tell me why. Elecrical tape is electrical tape. Yellow, blue, red, green, and of course black are just colors to distinguish one wire from another.
But anyway, make sure you connect the wires the right way, don't just rig it to get by. Use butt connectors or heat shrink it,... then you can cover it with whatever color electrical tape you want.
Old 07-01-11, 03:08 PM
ramo1246
Driver School Candidate

ok i got my fuel pump harness back on but on of the clips are broken on of the harness,is there any other way to make sure it wont slide off?

ok as for the but connectors what kind would i have to buy for it, is there a specific kind of connector used for those wires?

heres a video to show more.
Old 07-01-11, 03:18 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Whatever gauge wire it is, that's the size butt connector you need. If you need to add a little length of wire to reach, make sure you use the same gauge wire or it might just burn up the wire and start blowing the fuses or circuit breakers and relays.
Old 07-01-11, 03:23 PM
ramo1246
Driver School Candidate

ok how do i find out what size wire it is?
and how would i go about adding more length of wire if its too short? solder them together or what?
Old 07-01-11, 03:38 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Use butt connectors to add a piece of wire just like you would by connecting the orignal 2 wires back together. The size gauge of the wire you're just gonna have to match them up. I usually eyeball the gauge of the wire but I know the difference but you might have to just take a piece of wire to the store to match them up. Or sometimes it's stamped on the wire itself.
Old 07-01-11, 04:13 PM
ramo1246
Driver School Candidate

ok let me get this straight.
so i got to get a harness that fits that gauge wire?
and as adding mor wire so it would reach the others i would use more butt connectors.
can i use more than one connector on the same wire?
i dont know about butting the same wire twice, would it still work?
Old 07-01-11, 04:49 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

a butt connector is a small round metal tube with a plastic shield or case or whatever anyone wants to call it. and they are colored, blue,red,yellow.

since its a "tube" ,both ends are open. so, if you have a single wire,cut in half, you would only need one connector. one end of the wire in one hole, the other side of the wire in the other hole. and of course a pair of crimping pliers.
if you need to add a section,segment,small portion...whatever anyone wants to call it, you would then need 2 connectors. one for each end of the section,segment,small portion...you are adding. and then you would add the added wire to your existing wire that was cut.

when adding in a section of wire, use 1 piece of the length that you need. if you need 3 inches, use 3 inches, not 2 -1.5 in pieces.
Old 07-01-11, 05:00 PM
ramo1246
Driver School Candidate

how would i connect adding wire?
solder them or the same way by using butt connectors?
im just getting a little lost been in the sun all day felt like i killed 2 million brain cells, its freaking hot as hell today!
Old 07-01-11, 07:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

this really sounds like you need to get a pro to fix the wiring (ANY car audio place that's half decent could do this...) or use a friend who knows how to deal with automotive wiring.
Old 07-01-11, 07:55 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ramo1246
how would i connect adding wire?
solder them or the same way by using butt connectors?
im just getting a little lost been in the sun all day felt like i killed 2 million brain cells, its freaking hot as hell today!

connect with the butt connectors.

here a a crude example/description of the wire vs. butt connector.

get 3 pens or pencils or even 3 straws. now, line up 2 of your selected items end to end, so that they form a line or "segment" lets just call it a line for simplicity.
so, you have your line, now pull them apart say, 6 inches. what do you see ? a line/break/line. now if you had a used toilet paper roll, this would represent the butt connector. if you were to place in inbetween the breaks of the line, the 2 ends of the line would go into the open ends of the paper roll. then with your crimping pliers, you would crimp buth ends. this is a single connection to a broken wire.

to add a section..........

do the same as before with the 2 items. end to end. now, pull them apart a little longer than the length of the left over item.
take that item and put inbetween your 2 others. now you have a 3 segmented line. if you had the paper roll, you would need 2 in this case, and place them as you did for the single connector example.

its supposed to.be 117 and really humid tomarrow. so if you thought today was bad, tomarrow is going to be worse.....sorry to break it to ya.
im near 101 and 7 st. in phoenix, how long of a drive to get to you.
Old 07-02-11, 02:03 AM
ramo1246
Driver School Candidate

pssh i live casa grande, right next to I-10, its been getting real hot out, and my car ac doesnt work as well so im ****ting bricks when i got to school.

quick question i should fix my wires and get a new tire before i start replacing the air bag right?

Quick Reply: Near blowout ruins Fuel pump relay and wiring.