LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Near blowout ruins Fuel pump relay and wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-11, 03:03 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yeah... .
Old 07-02-11, 05:12 AM
emarknot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as PureDrifter said, yeah...and I stated earlier...yes. replace the tire. I wouldnt even drive that car car down the block on that tire,
Old 07-02-11, 02:04 PM
ramo1246
Driver School Candidate

ok, i figued out how im going to but the wires and add the extra wire but as for the air situation.
how would i go about finding the right air bag?
a freind just told me that it has to be a certain kind of air bag that i have to use.
i cant just get a 1990 ls 400 air bag from say ebay or a junk yard?
Also i apperciate the help everyone been giving me.
Old 07-02-11, 02:43 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

replace it with one from the same as yours. if you have a 1990, get it from a 1990.
Old 07-02-11, 02:55 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Dude, if you've never done any kind of wiring, which is what it seems like with all these questions, have someone else do it for you. Especially the air bag. It's not like you're just wiring up a stereo that ends up with no sound, you're wiring important componants on a vehicle. (air bag and fuel) I'm sure you can get someone to do it for $40-$50 cash, ask around. To answer one of your questions; you can connect as many pieces of wire as ya want as long as they're connected right. Personally though, I wouldn't add wire to the air bag wire.
Old 07-02-11, 03:19 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deanshark
Dude, if you've never done any kind of wiring, which is what it seems like with all these questions, have someone else do it for you. Especially the air bag. It's not like you're just wiring up a stereo that ends up with no sound, you're wiring important componants on a vehicle. (air bag and fuel) I'm sure you can get someone to do it for $40-$50 cash, ask around. To answer one of your questions; you can connect as many pieces of wire as ya want as long as they're connected right. Personally though, I wouldn't add wire to the air bag wire.

as far as I know, he isnt adding wire to the airbag loom. and I did specifically say to REPLACE THE AIRBAG wire loom. and I did specically warn of the potential danger of not doing so.

and yes you can replace a any additional lenths of wire by however many pieces you see fit. if a 6in section is required, you can do it in 1in, 2in, or even 3in sections. and then adding in the extra needless connectors and extra resistance, you do run the risk of NOT GETTING THE PROPER VOLTAGE. the LEAST AMOUNT OF RESISTANCE is the key to obtain the proper voltage. so, in order to achieve this, use the proper length and the least amount of connectors.
and the only way to achieve 0 resistance and have the absolute proper voltage, is to replace that harness as well......which, I also stated before.

for example, if a you need a 5volt signal refference and you only have 3.5v due to the 20 butt connectors added,its not going to work.

and yes, if this is way over the op's head, then yeah...get some help.
Old 07-02-11, 03:22 PM
ramo1246
Driver School Candidate

yeah, i hear on that one, im actually having a friend doing the wiring for me and the air bag thats the reason i said i got it figured out, he works with doing solar work its just that when do wires they recommend us not to splice two wire together, must be different for cars then but he said he'll do it for me and the air bag as well.

all i really know how to do is really work on the coolant side of a car not the electrical.
Old 07-02-11, 04:10 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ramo1246
yeah, i hear on that one, im actually having a friend doing the wiring for me and the air bag thats the reason i said i got it figured out, he works with doing solar work its just that when do wires they recommend us not to splice two wire together, must be different for cars then but he said he'll do it for me and the air bag as well.

all i really know how to do is really work on the coolant side of a car not the electrical.

I understand that.but I did say in the very begining it is not highly reccomended to use the butt/crimp connectors. and I did reccomend to use the solder less ones as well, they were the ones I mentioned that you heat them up. those aree completely exposed bare metal tubes and are the shortest type.and you would would need shrink tubing for those.

but you should be safe, providing you do your best to use the least amount of these connectors. so, if you need to add 6in of wire, use a 6in strip and 2 connectors instead of 2 or 3 strips of whatever lengths and the 3 or 4 or however many connectors that create all that resistance.
and when its done and after the car is running, use the black electrical tape to wrap around that wiring , this helps the connections from working loose. I say the black tape, because the wheel well is black/dark, so it will blend in.......and I dont think you want bright yellow or red screaming out....hey, look at me !
Old 07-02-11, 04:28 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

After watching that video it sure looks to me like the airbag wire loom was pulled out just as hard as the other wires, which is probably what set off the airbag, not by anything hitting the sensor. So in my opinion, if it was me, I would go to the junkyard and get a replacement harness for the airbag, b/c there is probably a cut in that wire somewhere that can't be seen b/c it's covered by the plastic loom. (Not something you want to guess at) At the beginning of this thread it said something about changing the steering wheel along with the airbag, there's no reason to change the steering wheel unless it cracked somehow with the airbag exploding, which is doubtful but it could happen, so that can save some money.
Black electrical tape, it's gonna be up inside the wheelwell behind the splash shield, so what difference does it make on what color to use? Use whatever color you have.
Old 07-02-11, 04:41 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

he doesnt have that shield
Old 07-02-11, 04:50 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deanshark
After watching that video it sure looks to me like the airbag wire loom was pulled out just as hard as the other wires, which is probably what set off the airbag, not by anything hitting the sensor. So in my opinion, if it was me, I would go to the junkyard and get a replacement harness for the airbag, b/c there is probably a cut in that wire somewhere that can't be seen b/c it's covered by the plastic loom. (Not something you want to guess at) At the beginning of this thread it said something about changing the steering wheel along with the airbag, there's no reason to change the steering wheel unless it cracked somehow with the airbag exploding, which is doubtful but it could happen, so that can save some money.
Black electrical tape, it's gonna be up inside the wheelwell behind the splash shield, so what difference does it make on what color to use? Use whatever color you have.

yes dean you are correct as for the whole wire bundle being pulled. and once again, I did say to replace the whole entire airbag harness, due to the fact there could be damage inside of the wire loom. and never once did I imply or say "ok" to do any repair work to the airbag loom..
the wire or wires that are being repaired, are not in the airbag loom. so those wires are ok to replace.
just note, I did reccomend the airbag wire loom to be replaced,not repaired
Old 07-02-11, 05:43 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

and to settle the tape color...

black, used for insulation and indicates low voltage,phase a
red, used to indicate low voltage,phase b
blue, indicates low voltage,phase c
brown, indicates high voltage,phase a
orange, indicates high voltage,phase b
yellow, indicates high voltage,phase c
green, indicates earth ground
green with yellow stripe, indicates isolated ground
grey, indicates high voltage and low voltage,neutral
white, same as grey

and furthermore.......black became the standard industry color,primarily because of its ultraviolet resistance in 1948.
Old 07-02-11, 07:07 PM
ramo1246
Driver School Candidate

ok sorry for all of this but my friend just looked at the wires and told me to just go to a junk yard and pull the whole wiring harnnes off the same model and replace the one in my car instead of soldering of butting the wires back.
he said the whole thing is just one big harness and can be replaced with a used one.
as for the airbag, he said the same thing pure drift said, just replace the airbag with the loom and harness.

would DIY have any information on how to take the whole harness off?
or would you guys know a way to take it off?
or is better to just connect the wire back together?
Old 07-02-11, 08:29 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

when you go to the junk yard, pay attention to how it is routed throughout the vehicle.

I just looked at my 91, and I donot have any externally routed wire harnesses. all of mine are inside the car. under the backseat, along the door frames etc.

you could search the diy and see if rhere is something.

and yes, same car,same year

best of luck. hope youre running soon
Old 07-02-11, 09:14 PM
ramo1246
Driver School Candidate

would you know what the wire is called?

Quick Reply: Near blowout ruins Fuel pump relay and wiring.