LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Purchased a '96 LS 400.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 01:03 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchased a '96 LS 400.

I purchased my first Lexus, a 1996 LS 400 with 77K basically fully loaded with the exception of the trac-control, air-ride suspension, and Naki sound system. The car was in excellent condition both mechanically and cosmetically. I simply could not pass it up. The LS is replacing my Cadillac as a daily driver.

Here are some pics, bad lighting and all...

Since it is my daily driver, I don't really plan on modding the car, however, I would like to install a performance air filter, custom cat-back exhaust, and perhaps an ECU tune of sorts.

Mike
Old 06-29-11, 02:37 PM
acidfire52
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. What did you pay for that time machine?
Old 06-29-11, 02:38 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

how much $

prime rule: do the maintenance before nodding anything.

timing belt scheduled for 90k. is this mileage suspect at all? perhaps the years call for a somewhat shortened schedule. just something to think about.
Old 06-29-11, 03:03 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

^^^^
Mileage checked out good, no problems there. I had the Lexus service department look over the car throughly and there were no issues. However, I was thinking that changing the timing belt early may be a good idea.

Originally Posted by acidfire52
Nice. What did you pay for that time machine?
I bought it at a dealership for $8K, which may have been too much but, I simply had a hard time walking away from such a clean and near perfect car after the many others that I have looked at over the last month or so.
However, in retrospect, I really don't feel I paid too much because I truly feel that these cars are priced too low based on their excellent build quality, features, and reputation. I think the LS 400's are a steal at the current market prices.

I did look at and drive quite a few '95-'97 LS's in the $5-6K range with just over 100K miles that would have been great cars too. One awesome '94 LS with 88K sold before I could even look at it, they were asking $6K for it. Most of the '90-94 LS's were in pretty beat-up shape. Overall, it seemed that in my area, the nice examples were selling faily quickly.

Mike

Last edited by Rdrcr; 06-29-11 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-29-11, 03:13 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A very nice car. My 96 LS has about 210K miles and still runs good.
I am in the market for an LS430 or other newer LS, but I am having a very difficult time to convince myself to part with the 96 LS
Old 06-29-11, 03:35 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

^^^^
Thank you.

I definitely plan on keeping my LS for a long time. These cars are simply fantastic.

I've never driven an LS430 but, I can only imagine that they are very nice.

Mike
Old 06-29-11, 03:48 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Easy updates to improve handling of the car:
1. transmission mount.
2. Front strut rods.
3. Rear Trailing arm bushings.
4. Lower ball joints.
Old 06-29-11, 04:05 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

^^^^
#1 & #2, along with the engine mounts were replaced before I purchased the car. I'll have a look at #3 & #4 this weekend.

The only things that I've had to do to the car was an oil change (just in case) and repair the antenna mast.

The car runs and drives as smooth as silk. This car is so much better than my previous Cadillac.

Mike
Old 06-29-11, 05:00 PM
djkneekap
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cadillac and Lexus...no comparison. Nice car!
Old 06-29-11, 06:14 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice car, Rdrcr! $8k is not too much for a car like that from a dealer. Unless you do almost all your own work, buying a really nice, lower mile car makes good economic sense. Plus, you get to enjoy it longer before it needs much repair.

I just got a family hand me down silver/gray '97 LS400 with 156k miles. Parents bought it new, then my sister bought it from them in early 2002 for $18,600 with 61k miles. She did the 60k major service including t-belt. I did the "catch-up" this month. T-belt, idler, tensioner, water pump, rotors, caps, wires, plugs, 4 tires, drivers outside door handle,lower ball joints, strut bars, front sway bar bushings, coolant, trans and diff fluids changed and a thorough detailing. About $2500. If your car needs half this stuff, which it probably doesn't, it's still a fair deal.

The front lower ball joints on these cars do wear out, they operate in tension, the weight on the front wheels is trying to pull them apart rather than pushing them together as many other designs do. To check them, lift the car till the front tire is an inch or two off the ground. Put a pry-bar under the tire and try to lift the tire up while looking at or grasping the joint. A bad one will be obvious and move up and down 1/2" or even more. There is probably a play specification for these ball joints but mine were so loose I didn't bother to find out.
Old 06-30-11, 07:35 AM
Goofaroo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find. I recently bought a 96 with 129K for $6,300 and spent another $500 on brakes, strut rods, ball joints, sway bar bushings, and temp sensor to get it right. It was pretty nice cosmetically, full service history, and my color (white) so even though I probably paid a bit more than I should have, it was the car for me.
Old 06-30-11, 08:21 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

^^^^
Thank you. And yes, I agree, once you find a really nice LS it is hard to pass it up. I, believe it or not, prefered the Gold (I'm not sure the name) because I wanted a 'low-key' cruiser but, the excellent interior of this car, plus the perfect condition of the leather forced a purchase.

Originally Posted by robert1408
Nice car, Rdrcr! $8k is not too much for a car like that from a dealer. Unless you do almost all your own work, buying a really nice, lower mile car makes good economic sense. Plus, you get to enjoy it longer before it needs much repair.

I just got a family hand me down silver/gray '97 LS400 with 156k miles. Parents bought it new, then my sister bought it from them in early 2002 for $18,600 with 61k miles. She did the 60k major service including t-belt. I did the "catch-up" this month. T-belt, idler, tensioner, water pump, rotors, caps, wires, plugs, 4 tires, drivers outside door handle,lower ball joints, strut bars, front sway bar bushings, coolant, trans and diff fluids changed and a thorough detailing. About $2500. If your car needs half this stuff, which it probably doesn't, it's still a fair deal.

The front lower ball joints on these cars do wear out, they operate in tension, the weight on the front wheels is trying to pull them apart rather than pushing them together as many other designs do. To check them, lift the car till the front tire is an inch or two off the ground. Put a pry-bar under the tire and try to lift the tire up while looking at or grasping the joint. A bad one will be obvious and move up and down 1/2" or even more. There is probably a play specification for these ball joints but mine were so loose I didn't bother to find out.
Thank you! I'll definitely take a look at the ball joint's as well. On occasion, I'll get a couple squeaks from the front suspension but, the squeaks go away after the first mile of driving.

Mike
Old 06-30-11, 11:50 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Congrats on the ride.
Old 06-30-11, 01:03 PM
Driver School Candidate

Nice n clean!!
Old 06-30-11, 05:36 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdrcr
^^^^
Mileage checked out good, no problems there. I had the Lexus service department look over the car throughly and there were no issues. However, I was thinking that changing the timing belt early may be a good idea.

I bought it at a dealership for $8K, which may have been too much but, I simply had a hard time walking away from such a clean and near perfect car after the many others that I have looked at over the last month or so.
However, in retrospect, I really don't feel I paid too much because I truly feel that these cars are priced too low based on their excellent build quality, features, and reputation. I think the LS 400's are a steal at the current market prices.

I did look at and drive quite a few '95-'97 LS's in the $5-6K range with just over 100K miles that would have been great cars too. One awesome '94 LS with 88K sold before I could even look at it, they were asking $6K for it. Most of the '90-94 LS's were in pretty beat-up shape. Overall, it seemed that in my area, the nice examples were selling faily quickly.

Mike
Congratulations. You won't find a car in as good condition for that price. I bought my '96 back in '06 for $4k but it had enough miles to go to the moon several times. Your car should essentially be just like new - and closer to the $53k price tag that it commanded back in '96.

Quick Reply: Purchased a '96 LS 400.