LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Who wants more POWER?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-01 | 04:46 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like zushwa has a project when he comes back!
Where you going, might I ask?
One of my boyz is based in Germany and then he's going off to Japan.
The HKS exhaust for the LS won't be out until at least the end of this month.
Their still testing it out as far as I know.
I will keep everyone updated on the exhaust.
Now the LS4 forum is getting EXCITING with all these mod heads!
Well take care when you go over seas and we'll see ya in 6 months!
Old 03-22-01 | 11:09 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

thanks edogg on the info on the lights and intake...I'll see if anyone around here can do something similar...I have a question about your wheels...you have 18's, right?? what size and brand tires are you running...any problems with rubbing??? I want to get the 18 inch Diablo Racing Vienna's or MKW or Zenetti's and Eibach springs...I just want to make sure I wont have any problems with the plus 2 sizing and lowering about an inch..thank for the help...
Old 03-22-01 | 11:25 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Im not leaving until the end of April so I might be able to get the exhaust before I go..Im in the navy so we go to a bunch of places..usually Spain, Italy, maybe Israel...all over the Med...
When I first got my LS I didnt really have big plans but now I see all the cool stuff people are doing and Im hooked...my wife thinks Im insane...she says "your car is really nice already" but then I show her pics of what my car could look like and she says "those wheels are nice, how much are they?"
just out of curiosity, has anyone been pulled over just because of their car??? I get a lot of looks from the police just because Im relatively young in a nice car and I was wondering if making it even more eye catching is going to cause problems..
Old 03-22-01 | 02:19 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

How old are you?
I just turned 25 today!
Well I haven't got much looks from the cops but a whole lotta looks from the "Rice Boyz".
I also have 18's on my car (Volk Racing AV3). They are 18x8 with a offset of 45 (want to be able to balance and rotate the tires, therefor all four are 18x8). I know for sure on the LS you can put 18x8.5 in front and 18x9.5 in back, but the smallest offset you can put on the car is 38 before you start hitting the caliper. On the exhaust I should hear something in a couple of days!
Old 03-22-01 | 02:54 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Hey Lou, post some pics of the wheel/tires. Did you lower it? Still need to hook up so I can check out the TC in your car.
Old 03-22-01 | 03:43 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

You'll see them when we meet.
By the way the date might have changed.
Go check the Meet forum.
As for pics, I not satified with my car to take pictures of it (don't want to show something half done).
My car is not dropped yet (funds).
My car is being worked on very slowly due to funds and time but hopefully it will be at satisfaction by this summer. Then and maybe then will I take some shots of my car for the club.
Old 03-23-01 | 08:35 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

congrats on the B-Day!!

Im 27 but everyone says I look about 23...Im sure they honda civic owners wish they could mod a lex..

the wheels Im looking at are 18x7.5 with an offset of 45 so I should be ok..as long as the bolt spacing is close...I believe its 114.5 for the LS (jbrady?) from everything Ive read the tire size should be about 245/45R18 and the speedometer should still be right..Im looking at the Yokohama AVS DB...anyone had them??? they're a decent price and have pretty good reviews...

I feel the same way about pics...not until its where I want it to be...but me leaving will give me time to save money and then in October...watch out!!!

I have to get my bumpers painted and windows tinted this weekend..thats all I'll probably be able to do before I leave...maybe the exhaust (loule!!!)

Old 03-23-01 | 09:35 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

What rims are you planning to put on?
Yeah, 114.5 is the correct size.
I also have 245-45-18 on my car; they are the Toyo Proxes and I like them. Ride is still smooth and the grip it has on the road is awesome (plus they look really cool too)!
You might want to consider going with 18x8 or better yet 18x8.5 because they fit the tire well better and look better then the 18x7.5.
What is your budget on the wheels?
Maybe I can help you out.
It took me 4 months to research, get funds, and decide on what I have today.
I will have a definite answer by Monday about the exhaust so hold your horses!

Old 03-24-01 | 10:56 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

I was just giving you a hard time about the exhaust...I was interested in the Borla because it was said on this sight that it wasnt too loud...how are the HKS exhausts???

I plan on spending about $2500 for wheels and tires, I get an annual bonus in October that will cover most my mod's,but if I see something I like for cheaper then I'll have more for other mod's!!!...I like chrome even though it makes the wheels heavier...I like the Diablo Racing Vienna's and Zerati's, the Omni Calipso and GP Sport, MKW MK9, and a couple of the Zenetti's. Heard anything good or bad about any of these???

The diablo racing vienna's are the 7.5 wide...I thought that was a bit narrow too..I do want the same width all the way around for rotating purposes also..

Got any hook-ups on wheels????

Last edited by zushwa; 03-24-01 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-25-01 | 11:40 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

hey loule, I just got an email from Borla and they gave me a part# for a catback exhaust....11493...I checked on carparts.com and they have it for $664.80...know anywhere to get it cheaper????

your tires got good reviews..how many miles do you have on them...considering your setup on your LS I'm assuming you drive them pretty hard...I'll see what kind of deal I can get on them...thanks for the tip...

Old 03-26-01 | 08:42 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Borla is making their exhaust again for the LS?! Wow, a guess enough people bothered them to produce it again that they did. Last time I checked, which was several months ago was it was discountinued.
Hey if you got the part number for the borlas I bet David at GTautosports can get it cheaper. Give him a call.
I'll hear about the HKS sometime this afternoon so check the forum later on.
On the tires, I paid $1000 total on all four. The treads seems to be holding very well so far as I have put on about 4,000 miles on it already without much notice of wear at all.
I don't recommend the Zennetti because they are very heavy. Have you consider Racing Harts?
There is a website called GroupBuyCenter, and you just join them for free. In the buys, there is a group buy for Racing Harts (one piece only) for around $1460 for 18s and Pirrelli tires. You can probably upgrade the tires to 245-45-18 for several hundred more. All and all, Racing Harts with tires for under $2000 is dirt cheap.
Don't know much about your other choices very well but I can look them up.
If you have any other questions just email me personally and we can talk.
Old 03-26-01 | 03:26 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Default rod millen intake!

wow borla has brought back the LS exhausts, how do the tips look like and Loule keep us posted on the HKS exhausts.

it also seems that rod millen has brought back its LS 400 intake because it no longer says disc. on their website, but i am not sure.

Last edited by LOTC; 03-26-01 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-27-01 | 10:25 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Has anyone seen/heard any of these exhaust systems? What would REALLY be cool is a system using changeable path mufflers. I have seen a few variations. Basically a muffler uses a diverter of some kind to allow very free flow and LOUD operation at one setting an less well flowing QUIET operation at the other. Some even have a range. The new Q45 uses something like this.
Old 03-27-01 | 12:59 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Exclamation it's very loud

One of my best friends has a 3000GT that has that exhaust set up... At knowledgable muffler/speed shops on drag/street cars I've seen that set up. The part is only around $50 plus labor of having someone to weld it into the exhaust line.
Old 03-27-01 | 02:51 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Ikon, you are talking about a cut-out which would work but would be VERY loud and require tools. I am talking about mufflers that actually have 2 internal paths and an internal valve that can be automatically or manually selected giving LOUD max flow or QUIET reduced flow. The factory Mitsu 3000 GT VR4s (car name too long) had a primary low noise muffler on one side and essentially a glasspack on the other. At high rpm a valve opened allowing the straight pipe to reduce pressure at the price (or benefit) of louder exhaust. There was a company that made Corvette mufflers that were like a big screw internally that could be adjusted from loud to quiet. I am thinking a Borla or Dynomax Ultraflow straight through muffler with a trap door that directed the flow though internal chambers most of the time and could be opened to allow straight through operation, not hard really.

Quick Reply: Who wants more POWER?