LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Who wants more POWER?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-01, 12:51 PM
Bracket

Does anyone have any details / pics on how they have modded their Lexus? (Mostly engine mods) I would be really interested in seeing what people have done. (Trying to figure out if I want to do something similar!)

Old 04-15-01, 10:02 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

go to www.swiftracing.com

I would strongly recommend their air intake/ecu mod. Don't waste your money on anyone elses as SRTs is WAY better (5hp vs 25hp). If you can get the torque converter also. Don't go cheap. You will be unhappy if you do. SRT may seem expensive but for the 2 grand the 2 items above will cost you you will be Lexus smooth, quiet and FAST. IF after these two items you want more...they will have a silent supercharger out in a couple months.

Old 04-21-01, 10:39 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default that much power?

hey Jbrady does the SRT air intake/ecu really give about 25 more hp?
Old 04-22-01, 01:12 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

I haven't tested it myself but from all the evidence I would have to say YES. First, it uses a MAF to TB tube that is slightly larger than the TB. This slows the air increasing its pressure at the TB (slightly larger is the key, much larger will loose more than it gains) effectively making the TB flow MORE . Next, it uses a high flow filter and isolates it from the hot underhood air and feeds it cool air. Finally, it adjusts the fuel ratio lending maximum benefit. This is definitely the most power from an air intake mod that I have seen.
Old 04-23-01, 08:06 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Default installation?

Jbrady,for a average person would it be tough to install these mods,and if they are tough where should i go for installtion?
Old 04-24-01, 12:20 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Post Here's some answers...........

Check out this install....

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/ape...ter/index.html
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/k&n...ion/index.html
Great site...... www.mkiv.com

It has a lot of info that can be used in the LS forum, and thru-out the Lexus forum.... Browse thru the tech articles and the BPU "basic perf. upgrades" the have info about every thing and a lot of installation pics.....

Guys, I hope this info helps some one!!!
Old 05-04-01, 07:04 AM
Bracket

I have looking into the products offered by swift raceing and RMM, and while both have an impressive array of products for the GS400 (98-00) they don't really have a whole lot for the LS400 (98-00).

For instance I really like SRT's HFI kit. It seems well designed, and simply put, clean. I would probably purchase that as my first modification, as it looks like I could do the install myself.

BUT I am not sure that kit would work in an LS400. I do not know if there is a difference in the dimensions under hood between the GS and the LS.

Before I ask SRT I thought I would post this up and see if anyone else knows if this kit works in the LS400 or not.

Thanks for any replies!
Old 05-04-01, 07:18 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have talked to Mo at SRT and he told me they don't have a HFI for the LS4 as of right now but are in the process of working on one. He told me they are nearly done, just working out some kinks on the ECU. Can't wait to see this bad boy get installed on my car!
Old 05-04-01, 08:27 AM
Bracket

Originally posted by loule
but are in the process of working on one
ThankyouThankyouThankyou!

You have just made my day. I will be watching their Webpage with great interest.
Old 05-05-01, 04:04 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

LOU, bad news for you and I, both the 1st gen (90-94) and the 2nd gen (95-97) cars have a side feed intake manifold. The 3rd gen (98-00) and 4th (01+) have front feed intake manifolds. The SRT system will be designed for the front type I intend to design one for us less fortunate. I won't be messing with the ECU though.

Bracket, you my friend will be in luck. I would also say to go with the TC. In the meantime get that thing to the track and get some baseline numbers on it. I would guess high 14s at 95mph. If you are slower maybe I can give you a pointer or two

Last edited by JBrady; 05-05-01 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-05-01, 04:46 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jbrady

Please keep us informed about your intake design....I, for one, am interested as I might think edogg is ...one of his later posts gave me the impression he wasn't completely satisfied with his set-up...from reading the information you have posted previously I would trust that what you design would maximize the intake without touching the ECU.
Old 05-05-01, 05:04 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Default your right Zushwa!

yes i am not satisfied with the HKS intake and i will just wait for Jbrady to come up with something!
Old 05-08-01, 11:10 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts
Red face parts and kit for LS400

Hey if you guys are looking for parts let me know. First if you want and intake for LS400, it easy and cheap. Rod Millen makes one but he wants 180+, you can get one for 55 bucks like me. Order a Supra adapter for about 25 or 30 bucks then a cone shape filter, make sure it is a cubber bottom.. Metal or chrom bottom would ba pain in the *** to get on the adapter. Secon for the Strut Tower bar. No one makes one.but... Order a new generation Supra modle bar, all you have to do is buy washer to prop up the bar. Stock the bar is not bent high enough to clear the engine so it vibrates it. So i put about 4 washer on each bolt, and it solves the problems. The exhaust. The best and cheapest was is to build your own cat back, if you have a kit or plan on getting one then this is great. First buy two exhaust any kind universal. then take it to a local exhaust, make sure they do quality work (what you pay is what you get). it shouldn't be more than 150-200 for the piping done. Tell them to cut all the old piping form the old cat-back. Just intsall a 2 1/2 pipe back, stright no bends, do not foll the old exhaust bend. Just straight and close to the body as possible, make sure it clears and make sure they sucure the pipe with lots of hangers. This stright cat-back should add about 10 hp, but i got to warn you it's kidda loud. So if you dont' like it that loud, but an univers exhuast with a silencer/baffle on it. For other mods e-mail me. IF you want these parts, email me too, i know a guys with a shop that is a lexus owner also so he give me great prices. Nguyennhu23@aol.com
Next...
I recently spoke with VIS, they said they can get me an evoulution kit. the kit comes with front bumber, sides (with door caps, about 6pcs total), rear, Eyes brows, and front grill, maybe a spoiler i'm not sure but i'll check. Anyways they said that they can ship the kit here from japan for me for about 950. I asked them what about a group buy, they said that i can probably get the kit for a couple of hundered cheaper then what they told me if i bought it by myself. So here we go.. E-mail me if you want to join the group buy it is Nguyennhu23@aol.com
you can view the kit at www.importfans.com
Go to their old site, the icon is near the middle of the page. Then products and then lexus LS400 kit. the kit that looks like the evolution is the what they call junction kit.
Hope to hear from you sooN!!!!

Old 05-08-01, 11:18 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts
Default picture.

<center>Img src="http://members.asianavenue.com/ViEtLuvEr69/Untitled-1.gif"
here is a picture of me and my car. YOu can see the clear bumber light i got adn somewhat the strut tower bar, you can see the red bottom and part of the bar. So email me for parts and prices..
Old 05-09-01, 06:48 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your pic doesn't work.
It is good to hear there is another mod junky on the LS forum then besides me, jbrady, edogg, and zushwa. On the exhaust note I thought About going universal but really didn't like the idea because it be more for looks then my plan to increase HP. Borla reintroduce their catback exhaust for it about a month ago for about $550 and HKS is almost done with theirs, in the process of dynoing it. Of course the HKS will be very expensive but I like to do things right so I can wait, also gives me time to save for it.
The air intake sounds very good idea except the problem me a jbrady have is prventing heat from the engine. I am in the process of creating a heat sheild and will post pics as soon as I'm done with comments on any improvements or not.
The strut bar, there is one available but it is a JDM and it will cost you around $350. I'm interested in how your strut bar looks and actual fit under the hood as it is very tight fit. Did you notice any difference on turning before and after the strut bar?
Well it is good to hear we are not alone in fixing up our LS.

Quick Reply: Who wants more POWER?