LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Who wants more POWER?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-01, 08:26 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts
Default HP!!!

The exhaust would not only be for looks, it would have propbably better hp then the borla or hks. The best kind of exhaust would be one with not bends! So if you go from the cat, stight and hot follow the heat shield then ther you go. Just make sure the welder keeps the pipeing close to the car as possible, it's possible that you might dent the pipe while going over bumps. This is the bes and cheapest in my eye, just loud!, this can be solved with a univers exhaust with baffle, i will reduce noise but also HP. So when you at the track just take out the baffle.
For strut bar, i did notice about 5-8mph impove on my turning. I take corners hard, and i can do certain corners at about 5-8mph faster than what i used too. The JDM bar is too expensive and it does the same as my bar, but mine only cost around $45.
__any idea on how to fix my center peace, it the one where you read the temp and time, it went out.
Also dose anyone have the problem when you go over a bump it sounds like the brakes are clanking, the pad hitt the rotor or somthing. It sounds weird, i check and all the bolts are on there.
Old 05-09-01, 08:29 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Default pic

http://members.asianavenue.com/ViEtL...Untitled-1.gif

just copy and paste it should work now
Old 05-09-01, 08:51 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is tight!
Need more over all pics of the car though.
On your display, you might want to check the maintenance forum. There is one where it talks about a guy solving the problem.
So a Supra bar will work ehh?!
What brand bar did you use and from what year Supra, 94-97?
Thanks,

Last edited by SQ-LS; 05-09-01 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-09-01, 09:14 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum LS400in520....the more LS enthusiasts, the better...

Unfortunatley, I'm having issues seeing the links you've posted...my fault, not yours...(stupid military internet connection!!!) so if you or loule can post them here I would be very greatful...especially the body kit and strut bar...

About the exhaust, I'm sure the straight pipes will give more HP but I personally wouldn't want THAT loud of a system...something reasonable sounding and SOME extra HP and looks good is what I'm looking for and would pay extra for the best combination.

It seems like that stupid center console display goes out on every LS....mine isn't completely gone but it looks foggy...just a matter of time...

Keep posting...all information is knowledge and therefore good!!!

Old 05-10-01, 09:36 PM
TonyN
Instructor

http://members.asianavenue.com/ViEt.../Untitled-1.gif
Old 05-10-01, 09:38 PM
TonyN
Instructor

above is the kit..
can anyone tell me how to put the picture up on the site acutally thanks..
i'll put picture of my car up next week if i find out how.
Old 05-22-01, 07:43 AM
Bracket

Originally posted by jbrady

Bracket, you my friend will be in luck. I would also say to go with the TC. In the meantime get that thing to the track and get some baseline numbers on it. I would guess high 14s at 95mph. If you are slower maybe I can give you a pointer or two
jbrady,

Sorry about the slow reply.

I know I should get some baseline before I start modding this thing, but I know exactly zip about where tracks are, when they are open, how much they cost, necessary safety equip etc...

AND I know exactly squat about doing a time trial in an automatic. I have read a couple of the different forums and gather that I should left foot brake while holding the RPM's around 2000

Everything about this car is stock so far and I am pretty sure I would eat up the current tires. As soon as I get a chance, and maybe a partner to go with me to the track, I will try to get in some times and post them here.
(Just as long as everybody remembers that it would basically be my first run.)

-Bracket
Old 03-18-02, 05:47 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Jbrady,

Great topic. I just spend about $20,000 on my Mustang Cobra for upgrades and all the other go fast stuffs. Now i am back and i want to do something with my LS 400. Supercharging has been in my mind for a while. The place for it would be the battery and fuse box area. Relocation of the two would allow either supercharger or turbocharger head unit. Turbocharger in this location would have few heating problems.

Second place for turbocharger would be under the car, next to the tranny. The turbos will be connected to the headers. The problem with this set up is tightness of space and execessive lag time (due to the distant to the intercooler). I have seen mustang turbo company made this setup with T35 Ball Bearing. Incon (a mustang turbo company). This would be a sleeper setup, but the plumpings would be a nightmare.

Tuning and injectors that i am not too familiar with. I know more about mustangs.

If you guys are local (socal) we should hang out and talk about this. It would be a great conversion piece.

Take care
Old 05-07-03, 08:50 PM
GR8TSCOT
Driver School Candidate

Here's my shopping list (in the fullness of time, of course). These are in no particular order:

1. Wheels & tires: probably end up with OZ Superleggera 1-piece wheels for low weight (18 lbs. vs. 29 lbs for stock wheels), but would love to be able to afford the 3-piece Superleggeras with polished rims. If anyone out there has a used set for sale in good condition, give me a call! I plan on using 18"x8" in front, 18"x9" in the back. Tires will be 235/45-18 in front, 265-40-18 in the back. These are about 1/2" smaller in overall diameter (2%) compared to stock 225-60x16 tires . I don't want to go up to 245/275 combination because of additional rolling resistance and rut-tracking.

2. Intake: this is cheap and easy! K&N filter (done) with JBrady's cut-out and headlight gasket delete.

3a. Exhaust: JBrady, WE NEED HEADERS! I saw your excellent photowork and analysis on the stock exhaust manifold. You build, I will buy.

3b. Exhaust: Could you please send me details on the muffler delete mod for 98-01 LS400? Also, I'd like my exhaust tips visible and serious-looking, but not "rice racer" in appearance.

4. Performance chip: jetperformance.com will reprogram your LS400 chip; 24-hour turnaround plus shipping either way. Cost is $300; they estimate HP gain at 15-17 HP.

Total estimated HP gain from above mods: 50 HP. Does that sound about right, JBrady?

5. Suspension: tower brace in the front, lower braces front and rear; urethane bushings; and a spring/shock combo that enhances handling without adversely impacting comfort too much. Maybe a bit more BMW-like and less Cadillac-like... I don't expect it to handle like my last car (Honda S2000, what a rush!) but it should still *handle*.

6. Brakes: I have acquired a set of used Porterfield drilled front disks. Next set of pads will be Porterfield pads. Calipers should be painted, but what color? Any advice out there?

7. Appearance: simplicity is the key. I am painting the lower body moldings black to match the rest of the car (currently a silverstone grey). I'll also paint the grill black. Much classier than the current two-tone paint scheme.

Comments anyone?
Old 05-09-03, 11:11 AM
Phil
Driver

I have a '03 LS430, which has 290 HP. I wouldn't mind increasing it by 100HP at all! BUT, who sells/installs tubro-chargers for my car? Also, would it invalidate my warrenty if I could have this done? Any idea on cost? I love to put the pedal to the metal and get pushed back in my seat. I am no youngster (61), but have always enjoyed "fast".

Thanks, Phil
Old 05-09-03, 10:28 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

I believe Lextreme can custom make a twin turbo system for your car. But keep in mind this will void your warranty without a doubt. But, have you thought about a Big Shot of Nitrous?
Old 05-09-03, 11:10 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Phil
I have a '03 LS430, which has 290 HP. I wouldn't mind increasing it by 100HP at all! BUT, who sells/installs tubro-chargers for my car? Also, would it invalidate my warrenty if I could have this done? Any idea on cost? I love to put the pedal to the metal and get pushed back in my seat. I am no youngster (61), but have always enjoyed "fast".

Thanks, Phil
This is the best LS430 setup I have seen, a Twin Supercharger setup! But in this pic it is on the SC 430 which has the same engine as the LS430.
Attached Thumbnails Who wants more POWER?-105327.jpg  
Old 05-09-03, 11:10 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Attached Thumbnails Who wants more POWER?-105328.jpg  
Old 05-09-03, 11:11 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Attached Thumbnails Who wants more POWER?-105329.jpg  
Old 05-09-03, 11:12 PM