LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Starter replacement '90 LS400...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-02, 01:08 AM
mdrag
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter replacement '90 LS400...

I completed the starter replacement last weekend on my 1990 LS 400 @ 100K miles. The last few months the car was starting slowly, and the battery/alternator/battery cables checked OK. After searching the old posts on this forum, I decided it was the starter....

When you can't find the starter on a service lift - definetely not a good sign. The starter is located UNDER the intake manifold. I estimate it took me about 7 or 8 hrs to get the starter off and another 3 or 4 to put it all together...I take my time and work slowly since I don't have the time or desire to do this a second time.

I took the opportunity to have the fuel injectors flow tested/cleaned/balanced, and installed new spark plugs. Besides the starter, I purchased new intake gaskets, throttle body gasket, rear water bypass pipe gaskets, and fuel injector insulators.

I tested the remanufactured starter before bolting it in as per the Lexus shop manuals - and did not try it out until I had everything back together....Just like brand new...and no left over parts

Here is a link to a few pics of the engine with everything removed - I forgot the camera the day that I put in the new starter, so no pictures with the starter in place:

http://community.webshots.com/user/mmdrag

Last edited by mdrag; 09-17-02 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-17-02, 02:05 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, replacing the starter is not a simple task. Thanks for posting you experience and pictures.
Old 09-18-02, 10:12 PM
mdrag
Driver School Candidate

I should have mentioned a big THANKS to Gordon at Carson Toyota for his much appreciated help in getting me the parts I needed.
Old 09-25-02, 10:35 AM
mlevk
Driver

Hey Mdrag , thanks so much for the postings.

I know about the starter and really dread doing it
when the time comes. I typically do most work myself
but I had my mechanic do the T-belt since I didn't want to
chance a screw up. But I've replaced a few starters in my day, and yes they typically are below on one side. That would be too
easy eh ?

The labor is the killer on this item. I think LEXUS gets
900-1200 for this work/ My mechanic says they
typically last 200K ? so I have to ask the question why
at 100K , can we get a survey on AVG miles?

What was the cost of the starter and parts/
Old 09-25-02, 12:47 PM
mdrag
Driver School Candidate

mlevk,

Why at 100K? Not really sure...must have been a Friday afternoon or Monday morning build. The steering rack was replaced under warranty within 1 month of ownership/ approx 1K miles on the car. This car is one of the last '90's - the '91's were arriving on the lot, and it was NOT a demo. I've owned the car since new, and it has not been abused.

I don't have the invoice in front of me at the moment, so I don't remember the exact price of the gaskets. I was pleasantly surprised that the intake gasket's price - I was expecting them to be much higher.

Parts list:

Lexus Remanufactured starter: $294 (includes S/H) less $30 core refund = $264
Intake manifold gaskets: 2 @ $5 or $6 each
Rear water bypass pipe gaskets : 2 @ $5 or $6 each
Throttle body gasket: 1 @ $5
Fuel injector insulators: 8 @ $3 each
Fuel injector test/clean/balance: 8 @ $24 each www.rceng.com
Toyota red anti-freeze: 1 gal
Spark plugs: Bosch +4 platinum: 8 @ $6.00 ea

I was very impressed by the lack of corrosion in the water passages - I've only used Toyota red AF during maintenance and this confirmed that I will continue to use it. You probably could get away with reusing the intake manifold and TB gaskets, but I did not want to take the chance. The rubber was beginning to separate from the metal on the DS rear water bypass gasket, and it had to be replaced - also this is last item to be removed before taking out the starter, and I did not want to take any chances of a leak...

I reused the (4) intake chamber to intake manifold gaskets, since the Lexus shop manual said these metal gaskets could be reused once. I also reused the EGR and ISC valve gaskets - they were in great shape.

The fuel injector testing showed that 7 tested GOOD, and 1 fair before cleaning - all EXCELLENT after cleaning. RC Engineering does flow testing and visual inspection of the spray pattern before and after cleaning, then balances the injectors so they are all flowing very close to each other. The fuel injectors looked brand new when I got them back.

The engine runs like a brand new car - not that it was bad before this, but it definitely is a little smoother and accelerates better. I'm sure the cleaned and oiled K&N air filter and new plugs also contribute..

My intake manifold was dirty from a leaking PS idle up valve (previously replaced due to the blue smoke on start up). Simple green did almost nothing. I immersed the intake manifold in about 2 gallons of Castrol Super Clean, and after about 30 minutes, most of the grime came right off, but as you can see in the pics, there was a slight chalky appearance to the intake manifold on the outside, but not much if any inside. I did not know until the other day that the local Toyota dealer had a special cleaning machine for cylinder heads, manifolds etc - otherwise I would have paid to have it cleaned.
Old 09-25-02, 04:00 PM
mlevk
Driver

mdrag,

Thanks for the details.

The Starter is a little high ? I think it's a NIPPON-DENSO if I am not mistaken. Anyways , my idependent mech says he rebuilds them all the time and knows it like the back of his hand, so I think he charges 2 hrs labor for it if I can get it out and to him.

I think like you Mdrag, don't screw around with cheap $$ parts , just replace them. Especially if they are bad and you have to tear it apart again.

I notice you used Bosch +4 Platniums , I used them too plus Bosch wires as well. But I notice a little misting oil blow-by between the ceramic and the metal casings ? Not sure how
bad it is or if it causes lowered compression, but I am tempted to return to Bosch for a refund. If you get a chance , check it out.
I've yanked the plugs numerous times to inpect them, and it's a pain.

Thanks again for the great info.
Old 09-25-02, 05:22 PM
mdrag
Driver School Candidate

I changed the plugs/plug wires at about 60K for the first time and went with Bosch Platinum. I did not research the +4 plugs, just saw them and figured I'd give them a try. Since everything was off the engine it was so easy to replace them during this job. I'll keep an eye on them for the oil blow-by you described.

I gave a long hard look at rebuilding the starter, but I was not confident I would find a reliable person to do it in this rather small town.

Overall I spent about $600 for the starter replacement PLUS fuel injector service PLUS new plugs...12 hours of labor saving $300 to $600 - or $25 to $50 per hour for my free time.
Old 12-15-15, 03:40 AM
m7ri20
Driver School Candidate

Default need help,

1990 Lexus sl400 I drove the car and 10 mins later and tryed to start my car and the dash lights and mirrors move and moon roof opens and all the light work, but when I turn the key to start it it does nothing, who thanks starter and if not what you think g