LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 12:37 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
NO NO NO, not the CAM seals... just the crank seal
Oh well, brain fart. Sorry billy, I thought you did them but as I sat thinking I remembered it was william somebody who had his cams out and it was only a 93.
Anyway, PjLex; here's a video of a crankshaft seal removal. (NOT a Lexus) At about 4:20 it shows how to take it (crank seal) out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf93v-d3Kdc&feature=fvsr
Old 07-23-11, 12:46 PM
PjLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft oil seal in...

Thanks for the video. I got the crankshaft oil seal out and the new one in. Used a smaller screwdriver and got it out.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400-dcp_7739.jpg   Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400-dcp_7740.jpg   Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400-dcp_7746.jpg  

Last edited by PjLex; 07-23-11 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Forgot Pics.
Old 07-23-11, 12:55 PM
PjLex
Driver

Moving on to the LH Camshaft oil seal. Should I do the LH Camshaft oil seal? I think it is leaking from there. the RH cam looks really clean compared to the LH cam. Unless it is something else.
Old 07-23-11, 01:02 PM
PjLex
Driver

Have you actually done the camshaft oil seal on the LH side? I was told you did. Why are you saying no? I know it is a PITA and i have got to be super careful, but is it dangerous to do it?
Old 07-23-11, 01:11 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PjLex
Have you actually done the camshaft oil seal on the LH side? I was told you did. Why are you saying no?
Are you talking about me? I thought billydpowe did but it was someone else. I did mine but it's a 93 which is 100% different. Personally, I wouldn't even attempt to do the cam seals on your 98 without the service manual right in front of me b/c the cams need to be removed. I would want to know exactly which bolt has to come out in what order and which way the cams need to go back in and everything like that. On the 93 the cam seals are just like the crank seal was, easy. If I was you I would look around for some step by step. I can't emphasize that enough and I've been working on cars for over 30 years.
Old 07-23-11, 01:12 PM
PjLex
Driver

Default General photos showing oil leak around timing belt...

showing some more photos to show the leaking of oil and maybe get an idea of where it is coming from.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400-dcp_7682.jpg   Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400-dcp_7684.jpg   Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400-dcp_7689.jpg   Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400-dcp_7698.jpg  
Old 07-23-11, 01:15 PM
PjLex
Driver

I was responding to Billydpowe, so Sorry about that. I tried to do a direct message or something. I was just wondering why he was all no , no , no like. Sorry about that, thanks for all the advice.
I have a shop manual that I downloaded on line in pdf form. It was dead on with the timing belt / water pump job. So I think it would be good for the LH camshaft oil seal.
Old 07-23-11, 02:06 PM
PjLex
Driver

Default Looking around, might have found the leak in the LH Cam..

Well I spent some time with flashlight and small mirror. And I think that the camshaft position sensor located under the LH cam cover could be leaking oil. And possibly not the camshaft oil seal in the LH.
I looked under both timing cams. Expecting to find at least some oil under the LH timing cams. To my surprise it was clean, I could see silver metal. Even right under the unit. It got a little dirty / oily directly to the right of the camshaft position sensor. The RH cam was clean and looked virtually the same way, silver metal underneath. I tried to take pics but my camera sucks.
Anyway, looking at the LH cam cover shows most of the oil leak eminating from that spot where the camshaft sensor wire comes out.
So is this possible that the camshaft sensor could be leaking oil around the timing belt?
My whole oil leak problem in the area of the timing belt could have been some water pump leak, crankshaft leak, and some oil leaking from the camshaft sensor.
So I think I can pull the sensor out, clean it up and put some liquid sealant around it and solve the problem. I am hopeful.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400-dcp_7760.jpg   Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400-dcp_7774.jpg   Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400-dcp_7776.jpg  

Last edited by PjLex; 07-23-11 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-23-11, 02:37 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

The sensor itself doesn't have any oil in it, it's electronic and it just picks up a signal from the cam pulley. The reason it's covered with oil is b/c (I still say) the cam seal is leaking. Most of the oil coming from the seal would be behind that black metal plate behind the cam pulley. The little oil will come out the bottom of the plate, and with the timing belt spinning, the dirt and dust will stick to the oil. That's why it looks to you like the sensor leaks oil. What I would do, to see if the seal is or isn't leaking, is take off the cam pulley and that metal plate. Then you can see the seal perfectly. You might not even have to take off the plate to see the seal. I think the pulley is 4 bolts, but it will say in your manual. Do NOT spin the pulley.
Old 07-28-11, 05:44 PM
PjLex
Driver

Deanshark , you were exactly right I removed the metal covers and found more oil leaking. Eventually had to replace the LH camshaft oil seal. And decided to go ahead and replace the other one. A double PITA sandwich. But I got it done. Thanks for all the advice everyone, especially Shark man.
I only have one question, how much do you torque the valve cover bolts when you tighten them? I have looked in the shop manual but can't find anything.

Thanks, Preston J.
Old 07-28-11, 06:12 PM
PjLex
Driver

Default Timing Belt done

done, thanks for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400-dcp_7916.jpg  
Old 07-29-11, 03:54 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Glad I could help and that ya got it done. About the oil leaks, I can see every tiny bit of oil on an engine. I hate a dirty engine, I feel it should be clean enough to eat off of. Although there isn't too many that are anywhere near that clean. The valve covers get torqued to 52 in-lb. (NOT ft lbs) Don't tighten them too tight, that just crushes the gasket which will crack it and make it leak. Ya don't want that.
Old 07-29-11, 06:53 AM
PjLex
Driver

The only tool that I don't have is a torque wrench in inch lbs. How can I tighten it without a torque wrench? Or is that possible?
Old 07-29-11, 07:56 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

You could just snug them tight. There's a conversion into ft lbs which comes out to only about 3 or 4 ft lbs. I'm not sure what the exact conversion is though. When I need in lbs I usually just look at the chart I have in my torque wrench case, but someone borrowed it and I didn't get it back yet. I'm sure if ya did a Google search you can find it.
Old 07-29-11, 07:59 AM
PjLex
Driver

Thanks Shark man.

Quick Reply: Advice on replacing Timing Belt and Water pump, etc. for 98 Ls400