LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS430 Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 02:02 AM
E55AMG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 Pricing

I'm about to pick up an '03 LS430, and my dealership said that with the Nav/Lev package, the LS430 comes out to $62,600 MSRP. They said they'd let the car go for $59,000 (or about $3,600 off sticker.) Is that a good deal? Does anyone have any new car pricing data? Thanks!
Old 09-19-02, 03:00 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to www.carsdirect.com

they usually give good pricing guidelines....i know you can do better than that here in LA
Old 09-19-02, 03:15 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

A few web sites have MSRP and invoice price for the 02', like www.carpoint.com where MSRP for 02' with Nav/Levinson lists at $60,200. Lexus did state a price increase of 1% for the 03' LS430, but that still isn't $62,600. The Lexus site list the MSRP for the base 03' at $55,500 and the Nav/Levinson option adds extra $5,220 MSRP. They might be pretty close to MSRP for a 03' at $62,600. Things like wheel locks, trunk mats can add to the MSRP.

From Lexus press release:
"For 2003 the Lexus LS 430 premium luxury sedan receives as standard 17-inch wheels and a new optional 17-inch all-season tire. The base MSRP for the LS 430 increases 1.0 percent, to $54,925, a difference of $520."

There was a time it was difficult to get any $ off a new LS, but with a weaker ecomony you can now try to get your best deal. I was able to get $6300 off my Ultra Luxury, but then again the sales manager put on the 1st 2,000 miles for me.
Old 09-19-02, 04:17 AM
LexFather

Your in NY, are u dealing with Lexus of Manhattan? They give deals to ClubLexus members. They are on this board, PM them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=55477
Old 09-19-02, 08:00 PM
HoleinOne
Rookie

I got my 2002 a month ago with ML package and Nav, Lexlink, Chrome 17" wheels, and sports suspension for $54600 plus tax and license.

That may help as a haggling aid.
Old 09-20-02, 02:21 AM
E55AMG
Rookie

Is it typical that dealerships won't discuss pricing over the phone? My job takes long hours, so I don't have much time during the day to visit a car dealership; I called a dealership in the New York area (won't say who) and they said they'd only discuss pricing if I put down a deposit with a credit card over the phone! Is this typical, or am I out of my mind for letting the salesperson know that my time is short, I need a car, I am busy, and would like to discuss the purchase by phone. I'm in the market for the LS430 within the week -- been procrastinating on buying it because of my job, but I really need it now. I don't want to put down a deposit, because to be honest, I'd like to price shop. It's my hard earned money, and I'd feel stupid not getting the best deal.

I've negotiated pricing on my previous Mercedes by phone, no problem. Same with most of my cars; I've only had high pressure "deposit now!"-type of tactics only from Honda before. I'm somewhat disappointed because I've found Lexus dealers to be the best out of all the luxury makes, including, but not limited to, BMW, Mercedes and Porsche. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 09-20-02, 02:37 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

it all depends on who you know, what area, and which dealer you called. yes, typically many dealer would not want to disclose pricing over the tel..but, nowdays, all the info are out in the open. you can say that you are a AAA member or Costco member and aks to talk to the Fleet dept as they usually have a set pricing guidelines each month(at least that is how it is here in cali)

and it is not like you are buying an SL55 or a any rare car like your AMG...you are right, i do not put a deposit before i go in. or, you can simply fax or email few dealers in your area and ask for bids and availability....time has changed and the way people buy cars are gradually changing too....
Old 09-21-02, 01:13 AM
E55AMG
Rookie

Well, I've got a couple of dealerships down to $58,280. Not a bad price, but I'm hoping I can still do better. I e-mailed 6 dealerships, have heard back from 2 of them so far; hopefully I'll hear from more.

As for the original dealership I mentioned that wanted that deposit, the salesman had the nerve to actually call me today at work! He asked when I would drop by, and I told him, "Actually, I've got two dealerships right now that are dealing with me via e-mail and phone, so I don't think I'm going to drop by." *shake head*
Old 09-21-02, 01:18 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

way to go and give it to him.....usually 10% off msrp for a lex is a good # to start...
Old 09-21-02, 01:27 AM
E55AMG
Rookie

Really? All the way up to 10%? MB's pricing these days has made for only a 7% margin, so their whole pricing philosophy is "no-haggle." You can usually get 2-3% off, but hardly anymore, and especially not if you're looking at a specialty AMG model (just thank the stars for no premium).

So, I could get up to 10% off even though the '03 models are fresh?
Old 09-21-02, 01:36 AM
oac3
Rookie

FWIW, a friend of mine is buying a customized '03 LS430 UL. The deal is ca. $60K + TTL. The car is due for delivery in a month or so.

Before purchasing an LS in May, I shopped online and at a few dealerships. Got a few price points and eventually found the car I wanted with all of the features ONLINE. I called the dealership and arranged to buy the car at a price agreed. But I was in Houston on a business trip for a week (I live in San Diego), so to keep the car I gave them a deposit with a credit card. I arrived a week later at the dealership, took the car out for a drive and drove it home later that day. Turned out, there was no deposit charged to the credit card whatsoever. The dealership was that nice. The sales guy told me, they were impressed with my candid purchase approach - no BS, and a straight-shooter. They didn't need the deposit; they had a hunch I would buy the car when I see it in person.

If you find the right car for you, a deposit, IMO, is not much to pay, afterall you will be hoping to take the car home with you. It also signifies clear intent to buy - always a good thing to get a great deal as well..... And if it doesn't work out, the dealership will gladly refund your deposit - no questions asked.

Good luck with the purchase.
Old 09-21-02, 01:47 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

oac..that is my way of purchasing cars too....one exception, i do that mostly over the tel...when my dad was looking for an LS400 back in 98, i got him a deal of 10% off msrp and no sales tax...last day of the month and there was some factory to dealer incentive...

amg..

welcome to the reality of lexus pricing...cool eh..typically, lexus is ~13-14% mark up. plus, there is always that "hold back"..yes, even on 03s..as the LS is not a "rare" car, dealers would need to move them..OAC made excellent suggestions...

i know very well about the benz "value" pricing...i do not believe in them...keep in mind i am in cali market, one of the most competitive one in the US...unlike benz or bmw, lexus does not limit production just to keep the price high
Old 09-21-02, 01:54 AM
E55AMG
Rookie

Perhaps I should start checking out California dealerships for pricing! I wouldn't mind paying ca. $60k for an UL LS430.

I don't mind putting down a deposit when I'm certain that's the dealership I"ll be purchasing the car from; in fact, I've got a deposit down now for the '04 E55 *fingers crossed re: delivery date on that one!*

But when I'm shopping around, and I've told the salesman my long hours prohibit me from actually dropping by, and ask him to accomodate my request to discuss this on the phone, and he demands a credit card number and deposit prior to discussing the deal, heck, prior to even discussing which car I'd like to pick out, I feel he's *not* accomodating me, nor trying to help me out.

I suppose not discussing the deal on the phone prevents exactly what I"m doing -- pitting dealerships against each other, as it would take a lot more work to actually hit all the dealerships. At the same time, it's my hard-earned money, and well, in the end it's all business. It's not as if he's donating the car to me, so ... what can I say. Either way, at this point I've found at least a couple of good dealers, and just need data points on how far I should push on the discount issue.
Old 09-21-02, 01:56 AM
E55AMG
Rookie

Originally posted by gs4will
oac..that is my way of purchasing cars too....one exception, i do that mostly over the tel...when my dad was looking for an LS400 back in 98, i got him a deal of 10% off msrp and no sales tax...last day of the month and there was some factory to dealer incentive...
GS4, I am very, very curious how you managed to avoid the sales tax!! That would save me thousands in and of itself. Either way, I'm going to try to shoot for at leat 10% off.
Old 09-21-02, 01:57 AM
E55AMG
Rookie

Not to be a post-***** or anything, but I forgot to ask one question: does anyone have invoice pricing on the '03 LS430? Can't find the invoice prices anywhere on the 'net.

Quick Reply: LS430 Pricing