LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

life that ended too early

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 07:36 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought along similar lines, the repair cost was estimated at around $6000.00 ( 4000.00GBP) as everything costs twice as much over here.
The insurers said it needed a new hood, fender and front bumper plus a top cross member, headlight and the panel behind the headlight.
The top cross member does have a slight dip in it but doesn't look too serious.
I got the car back for free so intend doing the work myself with used parts.

Old 08-10-11, 04:17 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by fatcat2
wow yours looks way less worse then mine, and it was totaled out? i was taking a closer look and it was looking as if they only had to replace the front supports, radiator, bumper, hood, fender, liner, and a few mechanical parts. if i were to guess it would cost aprox 4k, which is a little under what im seeing 97's with comparable miles go for. so im thinking they might fix mine but im not positive. im about to call the insurnace and see if they will let me take my car to the place i want. my dad has taken his cars there every time something happens and they go the extra mile to make sure everything is 100% or better in your car before they return it. we'll see how it goes.
It may not look like alot of work in your eyes b/c it's your car. Other people look at it and all they see is a badly smashed vehicle. $4K worth of damage, they will total it for that much. It doesn't go by how much they're selling for, it's less then book value. You do have the option, and right, to bring the car anywhere you want. I say they're gonna total it but good luck either way.
Old 08-10-11, 04:41 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

OP, sorry to see and glad that everyone's ok
Old 08-30-11, 12:35 AM
fatcat2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So 25 days after the crash happened, State farm finally takes my car to get an estimate for the repairs.

I've had to fight them on the rental car since, i guess, there was some misunderstanding somewhere. I told one person on the phone that i got the rental car the day after the crash, she said she would take care of it with enterprise. 10 minutes later enterprise calls me saying that they got a call saying state farm was taking over payments but wasn't paying for what i have already used. tried calling them back and their office closed...great. had to wait all weekend and monday morning i called again. the next lady i got on the phone said the same thing and that she was going to call me back 10 minutes or so later to confirm that it went through correctly. no call...great. would have called them back myself but i was on my way to work. guess ill have to call back tomorrow..again... so far my experience with state farm has been pretty ridiculous. hopefully ill find out what they plan to do with my car tomorrow weather its totaled or if they're going to repair it.
Old 08-30-11, 07:06 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

State Farm is . I've heard so many horror stoies about them not paying what they're supposed to. It's all that fine print under the fine print.
Only as an example; it's like to get injury pay for loss of your left arm you need to also lose the second smallest toe on your right foot.
But I do know that there's a limit on a rental car after an accident, all insurance companies are like that. I think it's between 7-10 days. When they say "I'll call you back" I usually say "Put me on hold, I'll wait" or they never get back to ya. Ya know, you do have the right to get your own estimate from whoever you want. You don't have to go through thier people. Good luck, hope it works out for ya.
Old 08-30-11, 09:15 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 162 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
Ya know, you do have the right to get your own estimate from whoever you want. You don't have to go through thier people. Good luck, hope it works out for ya.
Exactly.

State Farm has super high rates for LS400s too. I was paying the same for my 99 w/ state farm as I am for my 98 4Runner (comprehensive), LS400 (comp), Motorcycle, and truck with Geico.
Old 08-30-11, 10:03 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you forget to say "like a good neighbor state farm is there"

Do take it to other shop for estimate. We were in an accident last year and sure enough insurance say "oh, it's going to be $10K for the fix"... NO WAY, I endup taking it to a pretty good shop and the cost is estimate over $15K to fix so in the end, it was total.

If I go with the fix, my will be marked as accident, airbag deployed... and the street value would probably be way less.
Old 08-30-11, 01:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

when they total it out, do NOT take the first offer as they are most likely going to low-ball the hell out of you.

pull some local craigslist and autotrader ads, as well as NADA and KBB pricing for both private sale and retail. the insurance will have all this + local SOLD prices and you should get a price around there, remember the purpose of insurance is to pay you a price good enough to get you into the same car in similar condition with similar miles within your local area.
Old 08-30-11, 02:14 PM
fatcat2
Driver

They actually asked me which shop i wanted to take it to and they we're fine with what i picked. i picked a larger privately owned shop that my dad has gone to multiple times and came out more then satisfied with what they finished with. Luckily i called state farm again today and got the same person as the time prior. she said she told them what was correct and seemed pretty annoyed that it wasnt correct so i believe her. she even called me back this time saying she let enterprise know to cover all costs and future costs as well. hopefully it will be worked out soon i need that money back.
Old 09-01-11, 01:09 PM
toyrolla86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdls
a hammer and a headlight would have fixed it
Hey ill gladly take your corner clears and your bumper lip spoiler
Old 09-01-11, 01:25 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The insurance settled me for £2000.00 ($3000.00) and let me keep the car for free so for around $1200.00 I had the car repaired at a local body shop and the end result is shown below.
Old 09-01-11, 02:08 PM
fatcat2
Driver

so last night they called me with an estimate for the repairs, $8875!! so i knew it was totaled. i went in this morning to collect my belongings and take out my sound system. a little later i get a call from state farm saying they're ready to give me an offer on my car. i was expecting to get really low balled my first time around and had my game face one. then they gave me the offer at 9500, my mouth dropped in excitement. i only had one way to get them to give me more then that and it was that they didn't take into account my after market alarm system i JUST put in not 2 months ago. so they're reevaluating my claim and are going to get back to me. so im expecting a little less then 10k back! im very happy with that considering i bought the car for 4k at the beginning of the year. i know pricing for cars has gone up a lot, but i can get a great car for that much. even though state farm was really slow about everything they have done they gave me a good end amount so its a wash about them.
Old 09-01-11, 02:18 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Let me be the first to say......DAMN dude. That's the first good experience I heard with State Farm. But, does that full amount include the rental or are they paying that seperate? How much was the rental for the month?
Old 09-01-11, 04:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sweet, 99-00 time
Old 09-01-11, 05:28 PM
Driver School Candidate

or upgrade for 2-3k more to a LS430..

Quick Reply: life that ended too early