LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I thought Lexus engineering was good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 02:35 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonCorleone
This is like the guy in car chat who doesn't like his local dealer so he's boycotting the brand. Even though he likes the car. Lol.
Nice!

Mike
Old 08-09-11, 02:41 PM
execlex
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm. I thought Lexus drivers were supposed to be smart.
Old 08-09-11, 02:42 PM
Skynet27
Driver School Candidate

Totally Lexus's fault i can't belive something like this would happen. You should trade that thing in at the first General Motors dealership.
Old 08-09-11, 04:15 PM
tenchu
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I suppose if I drain my oil and forget to fill it back up, and throw a rod, thats bad engineering on Lexus' behalf as well, eh?
Old 08-09-11, 04:59 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Let's not rub it in.
KingLex400, get it fixed and let us know what parts were needed and the cost.
Old 08-09-11, 09:03 PM
KingLex400
Driver School Candidate

Default Sorry

Me being a Lexus guy, I knew that attacking the engineering would get my thread noticed. Sorry I just wanted to see what everybody thought about what could have caused this.

The car had it's timing belt and water pump replaced at 110,00
Currently I have 169,000 miles on the car, so if the mechanic didn't do something right how did it go 59k more with no problems?*

Second of all,!Purdrifter I never mentioned any "shaking or vibration" at anytime. The car still ran perfectly smooth and strong, so at the time I thought it could be a bad pulley or something. I never felt anything abnormal. I only heard abnormal noises. Even now, with the bolt out of course, it still runs perfect. I probably drove it a total of 10 miles from work home and to an errand after hearing the noise.

The noise itself was not that loud, but louder than normal. It also was not rpm related, meaning I only really heard it from idle to maybe 1500 rpms. Plus the sound was intermittent. So don't act like this was all my fault. It could have been many different minor things.

Don't get me wrong I love Lexus and always will, but this was a fail on whoever designed the camshaft timing tube piece. Bolts should not just be able to back out like that, especially on a part that rotates at high rpm.*

Anyways I got to fix it since I still owe around four payments on it. NO I did not buy it new wish I had. It really has been a great car and great value, so in the end I really cannot complain too much.

Don't worry I love Lexus and always will. I just wanted people to be aware of what can happen. I also was thinking that when doing a timing belt it might also be good to check the torque on the bolts on the vvti controller. I thought it might be a preventative measure for what happenend to me.

Thanks for all the lively replies,
KingLex400*

Old 08-09-11, 09:21 PM
Hilux22RE
Pole Position

So no Gorilla Tape...???
Old 08-09-11, 09:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by KingLex400
Me being a Lexus guy, I knew that attacking the engineering would get my thread noticed. Sorry I just wanted to see what everybody thought about what could have caused this.

The car had it's timing belt and water pump replaced at 110,00
Currently I have 169,000 miles on the car, so if the mechanic didn't do something right how did it go 59k more with no problems?*

Second of all,!Purdrifter I never mentioned any "shaking or vibration" at anytime. The car still ran perfectly smooth and strong, so at the time I thought it could be a bad pulley or something. I never felt anything abnormal. I only heard abnormal noises. Even now, with the bolt out of course, it still runs perfect. I probably drove it a total of 10 miles from work home and to an errand after hearing the noise.

The noise itself was not that loud, but louder than normal. It also was not rpm related, meaning I only really heard it from idle to maybe 1500 rpms. Plus the sound was intermittent. So don't act like this was all my fault. It could have been many different minor things.

Don't get me wrong I love Lexus and always will, but this was a fail on whoever designed the camshaft timing tube piece. Bolts should not just be able to back out like that, especially on a part that rotates at high rpm.*

Anyways I got to fix it since I still owe around four payments on it. NO I did not buy it new wish I had. It really has been a great car and great value, so in the end I really cannot complain too much.

Don't worry I love Lexus and always will. I just wanted people to be aware of what can happen. I also was thinking that when doing a timing belt it might also be good to check the torque on the bolts on the vvti controller. I thought it might be a preventative measure for what happenend to me.

Thanks for all the lively replies,
KingLex400*
let's make it clear:
Bold: Your car made an abnormal noise, it COULD have been a lot of different things, none of which you checked. you said yourself you didnt even bother looking until 3 days later. intermittent or not, that's something one would probably want to check immediately if one was into the care of one's car. Did you cause the initial issue? unknown, no idea if you did the work yourself or what not, but you did most definitely allow it to escalate.

Underlined: Again, NO. this is NOT a "fail," this is a problem your single specific car faced, (in all likelihood) due to a mechanic who didnt do everything "just" so when he put it back together. this is NOT a system failure, and I hardly think you can reasonably blame lexus for a single bolt on an engine with 169,000miles on it that has been through god knows how many different mechanics since it was last in the hands of an auth'd tech.

also, I detest attention grabbing headlines that don't pan out, both in the news media and in the forum
Old 08-09-11, 10:06 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

not to mention you said you bought it AT 166xxx miles, and have had it for 4 years.

should get your story straight before you rebutle anything.
Old 08-09-11, 10:16 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

[QUOTE=KingLex400;6593623]So, after four years of hassle free driving and two payments left, BAM!!! this happens.

I have a 1998 Lexus LS400 loaded to the tilt, with what I thought was low milage for a LS (169,000). Anyways Saturday morning after arriving at work I pulled into my parking spot and noticed the car was making what could be heard as extra loud lifter tick. At first I thought nothing of it, considering it was ready for another oil change and I thought it might just be old oil causing it to tick louder, BUT I was wrong.

here you say you bought it with 169,xxx, but after 4 years....you still have 169,xxx miles ?

c'mon....get it together and tell the whole story.

ive been trying to stay out of this since post #2,

you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BLAME ENGINEERING FOR YOUR OWN STUPIDITY !!!

get it together, tell the truth.

im smelling what everyone is stepping in. and before my foot hits that pile, I will pause
Old 08-10-11, 04:47 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Lexus engineering??? The extent of the damage is 100% your fault after hearing the noise and still driving it. If you just lifted the hood and listened to where the noise was coming from you would have noticed it sooner, stopped driving, and not caused any more damage. The mechanic that did the timing belt job last probably just didn't tighten it to torque. OR, it just worked it's way loose, it happens sometimes. (bolts come loose on things) That doesn't mean the engineers who designed it are at fault. If it happened to 1000 of them then I would say, maybe, it's a flaw. Fix it and go on with life.
In my son's Corolla, he heard a noise and kept driving, it got worse, he kept driving home, (we've all done it) and it threw a rod through the block (front and back) and the oil pan. Now I need to change his engine b/c he didn't stop driving when he should have. I don't have a pic but this vid is the same spot as his, but his hole is bigger; http://www.youtube.com/user/b3naaama...34/c9amRD61AD4
Old 08-10-11, 04:52 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Originally Posted by KingLex400
Please don't do this again. Inappropriate, rude and baiting approach.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-10-11 at 04:58 AM.