LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

car wont crank but not fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 07:32 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

if he cant take the time to post something that makes sense or even read and respond to things in a normal manner then he isnt going to get much help here....once again noone here can diag ur car over the internet! take your car to a shop!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-11, 11:06 AM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thnx for the input...how can i get to the how to tutorials....
Old 08-29-11, 03:45 PM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

ok, if im taking it to a shop, am i getting it put on a diagnostic machine???im gonna try it the way dean was saying doing checks. i would appreciate some help at what to check and possibly a brief description of the tasks. i have to be as cost effective as possible. also, u spoke of my engine chewing itself to oblivion....how would i know that? is there a certain sound i should be listening for???
Old 08-29-11, 03:52 PM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

if anyone chooses, they can definitely give me a call...give me a heads up and i can provide my number for direct contact....i appreciate evryones input, thnk u. in my evolution im apologizing if anyone may have been offended for whatever reason on here. i really need concrete feedback on this matter. ive already saved alot of money learning to do things myself and i credit that to this site and evrybody's input...im a one finger typer and may sometimes try to shortcut words. i will b more conscious ok fellas??? apology accepted or what???
Old 08-29-11, 08:16 PM
chalels40o
Driver School Candidate

best bet is just take it to a shop lol
Old 08-30-11, 05:26 AM
python
Lexus Champion

im not so thin skinned..others might be...its all good, just get the car looked at by a shop and tell them to diagnose a no start problem
Old 08-30-11, 06:33 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Everything is straight. I answered the PM you sent me, check it.
Old 08-30-11, 07:35 AM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

ok, my mistake, the car does spin, but does not turn over. It turned over 2 x's but ran rough for a few seconds then stalled.i broke down the top part of the engine to where i can see the top of the timing belt. how would i know that it slipped? i dont think its popped.
Old 08-30-11, 07:36 AM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

thanks dean
Old 08-30-11, 07:59 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

You need to see if the 3 timing marks line up correctly. Spin the crankshaft bolt, clockwise, to where the timing mark on the pulley is set to ZERO. Look at the timing marks on both camshaft pulleys, see if they are in line with the timing marks on the engine block. If the cam marks don't line up spin the crankshaft, clockwise, one full turn back to zero and check the marks again on the cam pulleys. If all the marks line up you're timing is good, if not then it jumped time but check it again to make sure. This; http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html shows the crankshaft mark set to zero in step 15 and the camshaft marks in steps 28-29. Of course, you wont have the white chalk marks on yours, you need to look for the marks. On the engine they will probably be covered with oil or gunk. Don't worry about any marks on the belt, they don't mean anything now.
Old 08-30-11, 09:13 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Dean is saying: make sure the marks on the 2 pulleys line up with the marks on the front of the engine. with the CS pulley on 0 (zero)

do you understand?
Attached Thumbnails car wont crank but not fuel pump-timingbelt21.jpg   car wont crank but not fuel pump-timingbelt34.jpg  
Old 08-30-11, 09:23 AM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

i sent Brutus to AAA this morning to get diagnosed...they just came to get him. im going to let them tell me exactly whats the problem. i was hoping that i could still do the labor myself though. i'll check back in when i hear something....thanks fellas....hope all have a blessed day
Old 08-31-11, 04:32 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Good luck.....
Old 09-01-11, 08:30 AM
ezsls400
Driver School Candidate

Well they said the timing jumped one or two teeth and I need to do that just to start it up. I got the schematic from lexls.com and I appreciate evryones input. Well, I'll b back after I change the timing belt...have a great day
Old 09-01-11, 11:02 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

They said it jumped time, but did they say anything about it ruining the engine? (bent valves and everything) Did they remove the valve covers to see if any valves were bent? They should have b/c there's no sense doing a T-belt job if the engine is shot. If it didn't do anything to your engine when it jumped, and all the time you spent trying to start it, then you are one lucky dude. Especially being at the high RPM it was when it jumped. Like I said before, I've only seen one interference engine that didn't get chewed up. Are you sure you can do this job by yourself? It's not like just changing spark plugs or something and you already did say "True, I have no mechanic skills" But hey, if you have the confidence in yourself to complete the job then that's the most important part. And I applaud anyone who will at least try. Most of it is just twisting a wrench, there's really only one technical part and that's lining up the timing marks.(The most important part of the job) Good luck.

Quick Reply: car wont crank but not fuel pump