LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

jerking from park to drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17, 05:55 PM
moving2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ca12los69
My harsh engagement has been solved. The problem started when the EGR tube had to be replaced. It turns out our private mechanic did a horrible job. From what the guys at Lexus told me they said the guy removed the tranny without first unhooking the throttle cable at the throttle body. by doing this he damaged the throttle housing inside the transmission, this effected the hydralic pressure causing it to rise because it sensed the engine was under moderate acceleration, thus the tranny speeds up to meet the engine speed. It only cost $100. This is what happened to most of us, this cable just gets tugged on enough to loosen the cable on top left side of the tranny.
good luck
13yr old thread resurrection, but can anyone identify the part(s) here that need to be replaced and/or adjusted? I have exactly the same problem with a '94 LS after the tranny was removed for flywheel replacement.
Old 11-06-17, 06:33 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by moving2
13yr old thread resurrection, but can anyone identify the part(s) here that need to be replaced and/or adjusted? I have exactly the same problem with a '94 LS after the tranny was removed for flywheel replacement.

Looking at the thread you are responding to, I read:

My harsh engagement has been solved. The problem started when the EGR tube had to be replaced. It turns out our private mechanic did a horrible job. From what the guys at Lexus told me they said the guy removed the tranny without first unhooking the throttle cable at the throttle body. by doing this he damaged the throttle housing inside the transmission, this effected the hydraulic pressure causing it to rise because it sensed the engine was under moderate acceleration, thus the tranny speeds up to meet the engine speed. It only cost $100. This is what happened to most of us, this cable just gets tugged on enough to loosen the cable on top left side of the tranny.
good luck

Let's start with the throttle cable. It is not the one that actually goes to the accelerator pedal. It is the one that communicates your accelerator's position to the transmission.

Light acceleration reduces hydraulic pressure that determines how firm your shifts are.
Heavy acceleration necessarily demands higher hydraulic pressure for a firmer shift.

The adjustment is performed at the intake manifold bracket that holds both cables. You will see two 10mm nuts trapping the cable sheath to the bracket. You must adjust the stopper in the transmission-bound cable to exactly 1mm protrusion from the sheath.
Colin
Old 11-06-17, 06:34 PM
moving2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
Looking at the thread you are responding to, I read:

Let's start with the throttle cable. It is not the one that actually goes to the accelerator pedal. It is the one that communicates your accelerator's position to the transmission.

Light acceleration reduces hydraulic pressure that determines how firm your shifts are.
Heavy acceleration necessarily demands higher hydraulic pressure for a firmer shift.

The adjustment is performed at the intake manifold bracket that holds both cables. You will see two 10mm nuts trapping the cable sheath to the bracket. You must adjust the stopper in the transmission-bound cable to exactly 1mm protrusion from the sheath.
Colin
Colin- thanks, this has been completed without resolving the issue.
Old 01-12-18, 10:29 AM
moving2
Driver School Candidate

A quick update for anyone dealing with this problem: it was, indeed, the throttle cable! Took a chance, bought a new throttle cable for ~$100, took it to a tranny shop, described the problem, and they agreed it could be the cause. After replacing the cable, they told me it was, indeed, broken near where it connects to the transmission. Replacement instantly cured the issues I was having. This is apparently somewhat common when the transmission has to come out and the mechanic doesn't disconnect the throttle cable before removing the transmission. In my case, the tranny came out to replace the flywheel. This was to fix a problem we thought was with the mesh between flywheel and starter, but turned out to be the battery!

Last edited by moving2; 01-13-18 at 11:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
creilly (01-13-18)
Old 01-13-18, 07:39 AM
creilly
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by moving2
A quick update for anyone dealing with this problem: it was, indeed, the throttle cable! Took a chance, bought a new throttle cable for ~$100, took it to a tranny shop, described the problem, and they agreed it could be the cause. After replacing the cable, they told me it was, indeed, broken near where it connects to the transmission. Replacement instantly cured the issues I was having.
Resolution! I'm not having any transmission problems right now but I'm sure someone will come across this thread by a google search later looking for answers. In any case it's always good to know before it happens.