LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Overheating at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-11, 02:59 PM
cf3232
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
No, it would have been stuck somewhat, not completely, closed and not allowing the coolant to flow freely. When ya drive, the RPMs go up and the waterpump is spinning harder which in turn would push the coolant harder through the system, which is why it would cool down. (And more air would be hitting the radiator) At idle, there probably wasn't enough pressure for the coolant to flow through a half stuck T-stat. If it was stuck open then the coolant would flow through freely and not overheat and also not get hot enough to give any heat.
Glad ya got it staying cool but, I had a "fail-safe" in mine which only lasted a couple months before I had to change it out again. Hope yours lasts longer.
Yeah this makes more sense. I had a failsafe one that I had to change out in a couple of months because I had a bad fan clutch and it would still overheat. After I fixed the fan clutch issue the failsafe Tstat was stuck open and I was back in there putting in a regular one.

Glad you got her fixed!! Ride on.
Old 10-01-11, 05:18 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cf3232
Yeah this makes more sense. I had a failsafe one that I had to change out in a couple of months because I had a bad fan clutch and it would still overheat. After I fixed the fan clutch issue the failsafe Tstat was stuck open and I was back in there putting in a regular one.

Glad you got her fixed!! Ride on.
Yes, it's good to have this issue resolved and now I can move on to addressing some other stuff. Next on the list is replacing some more hoses and sway bar links. I'm having a hell of a time getting the right lower radiator hose. Seems like everyone has one that doesn't fit the car.

Makes sense that you would have some issues with the T-stat if your fan clutch was faulty. Sounds like the fail safe did what it was supposed to do.
Old 10-02-11, 06:14 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by GKLCPA
Dean, thanks for the explanation. After having bought the fail safe T-stat, I saw a few reviews with mixed results. I had read in some instances, these things were causing overheating conditions, when they were supposed to do the exact opposite. What was your situation?
I just looked into the past. (threads and reciepts) I was wrong, my "Fail-Safe" T-stat lasted about 9 months, not just a couple like I thought. Still, it died way before it should have.
The thing that happened with the bad one was it was stuck completely closed. The coolant wasn't flowing at all and the temp gauge would go all the way up. But it wasn't overheating, maybe b/c I would only drive it a few miles at a time. And it turns out, the T-stat I put in to replace it was ....a "Fail-Safe". Why would I do that, maybe b/c it was cheap? Eh, it's over a year and still good so I'm mixed on reliability, one good and one bad.
Old 10-02-11, 08:27 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

I just looked into the past. (threads and reciepts) I was wrong, my "Fail-Safe" T-stat lasted about 9 months, not just a couple like I thought. Still, it died way before it should have.
The thing that happened with the bad one was it was stuck completely closed. The coolant wasn't flowing at all and the temp gauge would go all the way up. But it wasn't overheating, maybe b/c I would only drive it a few miles at a time. And it turns out, the T-stat I put in to replace it was ....a "Fail-Safe". Why would I do that, maybe b/c it was cheap? Eh, it's over a year and still good so I'm mixed on reliability, one good and one bad.
Then I have at least a 50% chance of the thing working ok. My LS gets light duty now that I'm using another car I resurrected as a daily driver. I pretty much plan on using the LS as an occasional daily driver and on long road trips which will probably be less than 5000 miles a year, so maybe I'll be fine with it.

Just the same, that thing should have failed stuck open, not closed and that's consistent with what I've been reading about this particular T-Stat, but I guess it's a 50/50 deal on many of them regardless of brand. Many of them are frequently bad out of the box.
Old 10-02-11, 09:22 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Sorry to put a on ya but less mileage would make it worse, b/c it's not being used as much opening and closing. Every T-stat that I've seen fail have always stuck closed. In 30 years I've never seen one stick open, Ive heard it happen to other people so some do. All that does is make the car run cooler and have no heat. The old days we used to take them out in the summer but now with all the computers ya can't do that anymore b/c it needs to run at a certain temp to run perfect. The one that failed on me in the 9 months only had 12K on it. But really the way I look at it is Eh, they're cheap enough to change. As long as ya catch it before something worse happens.
Old 10-02-11, 03:57 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Sorry to put a on ya but less mileage would make it worse, b/c it's not being used as much opening and closing. Every T-stat that I've seen fail have always stuck closed. In 30 years I've never seen one stick open, Ive heard it happen to other people so some do. All that does is make the car run cooler and have no heat. The old days we used to take them out in the summer but now with all the computers ya can't do that anymore b/c it needs to run at a certain temp to run perfect. The one that failed on me in the 9 months only had 12K on it. But really the way I look at it is Eh, they're cheap enough to change. As long as ya catch it before something worse happens.
Man, you can't win for losing here. Looks like I'll have to drive it more often then. Well, I suppose there's worst things than being forced to drive a Lexus!

Believe it or not, I have a T-Stat that appears to be partially stuck open in the car I'm driving daily ( 1987 BMW 535i). At idle the gauge is at dead center, but while running the gauge is right outside the cool zone. It hasn't affected gas mileage or heating at this point, but I plan on swapping it out when I get a chance.

Yep, they're definitely a cheap and easy change, but my greatest fear is being on a long trip somewhere and have the thing close up on me.