LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

TT LS400 Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-02, 07:30 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JBrady,

You hit the points. As for the LS400. NO ROOM FOR ANYTHING. EVEN intercooler.

As for fuel, i will be pushing 7 psi non-intercooled for stage I. Stock injectors is able to handle up to 330 rwhp. Stage II will benifit from increase injectors upgrade to 440 or 550 along with fuel pump, .093" SCE Copper Gasket, ARP head bolts, Methanol/Water Injection along with MSD. Stage II will be 15 psi.
Old 09-26-02, 08:07 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NICE! Let us know how it goes! LS400 owners have hope!
Old 09-26-02, 08:59 PM
Lvangundy

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AWESOME

I wanna know more about taking the cats off, you said it gave you 20HP? What if I replace the factory ones with open high flow cats?
Old 09-26-02, 10:34 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very unique and interesting setup, let us know what happens in the future. But the turbos under the car makes me kinda worried.

Last edited by LOTC; 09-26-02 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-27-02, 09:10 AM
Frankinaustin
Driver

Default Good Job

howdy! I have only praise for you b/c you are not just going to the parts catalog and buying a bunch of expensive stuff. Good job!

I've toyed with thoughts about trying to fit a whipple supercharger onto my sc400 and then winging it as far as fuel, computer, tranny etc etc.

excellent job! i hope you are keeping tabs of the amount of $$ you spend.

F
Old 09-27-02, 09:37 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet!!!!

KEep up the good work and keep us updated!
Old 09-27-02, 06:04 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Awesome stuff, keep us posted.
I have great respect for you for trying this!!
Old 09-27-02, 10:39 PM
SCV8
Instructor

That's very cool,are you going to find some place to coat the system?
There's some neat ceramic stuff that is supposed to help keep things a whole lot cooler,is added to paint,metal coatings.

You've probably heard of SplitSecond,and Simple Digital Systems,but I thought I'd mention them anyways;they're helpful for keeping a budget in control,yet delivering the needed goods.

Can you just imagine the Corvette owner,trading his car for a four door afterwards.
Old 09-30-02, 01:20 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Default Coating

Hello All,

Over the weekend, i grinded down all the rough edge from welding. I also used Dupli-Color with Ceremic silver coating on the DP and other accessories. The Dupli-Color spay can handle 1200F degrees and keep heat in the pipes. Secondly, i also recieved a package from Summit Racing. Its therm wraps for the DP along with stainless steel tie straps. With the spray and the thermal wraps, it should keep heat away from other accessories.

After it was grind and spray, they look awesome.

I took some pics, but i dont have it here. I will try to post some pics Wednesday.
Old 09-30-02, 01:40 PM
Lvangundy

Aren't we going to get some terrible turbo lag from having them mounted under the car?

The point of mounting them near the manifold is to have a closer path and less turbo lag...
Old 09-30-02, 02:44 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

I dont think there will be much lag for few reasons.

1. The turbos are ball bearing with .48 a/r

2. Secondly, the routing of the intake pipe is unique. The two stainless steel braided line from Earl's has 1.5" I.D will be routed from both sides (rear) of the engine. Basically, the inlet will be coming from behind the engine. There, the two inlet pipes will be join with a very short Y-Pipe. The MAS will be modified. It will be turn backward with a Cast aluminum elbow. Just imagine the inlet pipe is from the stock header to the rear of the engine.

The traditional path with goes to the front of the car is not use in this case. I would say the path from the OEM header to The rear of the engine is no more than 3-3.5 feet.

Due to the distance between the inlet and intake, i dont think much lag will be occuring. Once again with low A/R and Ball Bearing. I would expect full boost (15 psi stage II) with 3-3.5K or less
Old 09-30-02, 03:18 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Default Turbos' Height

The left turbo fit snug into the OEM cat. The left turbo is above the lowest part of the car. The right turbo is about 1.5 to 2" lower than the car. This is because the structure of the right side is slightly smaller than the left. The right turbo needs to hang down slightly.

If you car is NOT lowered, it should not experience any problem at all.
Old 09-30-02, 05:39 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

HH, interesting progress. I would be impressed if the paint stays on, time will tell. As far as your plan intake routing, I don't know for certain but I feel that 1.5" ID lines may be a restriction, I would go with 1.75 or 2".

As far as the turbos, these are the stock turbos off the 2.7 liter Soarer correct? Considering that that engine is rated at 280hp and makes boost quickly with less than 1.4 liters exhaust flow per turbo... I would estimate that with 2.0 liters for each turbo your application should spool nearly off idle. Turbo lag will NOT be a problem. On my old 2.3 liter turbo I moved the stock intercooler from on top of the engine to in front of the radiator. Turbo response did not noticeably change even though I increased the volume substancially. Remember that there is ALLWAYS air in the entire system and in fact slight to substancial boost with small turbos, before the throttle plate even when then engine is under vacuum at say 3000+rpm. These turbos may be too responsive for your fuel mapping... something to keep in mind.

I have not seen the compressor maps for these turbos but would be surprised if they support much more than 200hp each. Do you have maps?
Old 09-30-02, 06:06 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Hello JBrady,

I dont have the turbo maps. The person who import them from Thailand (Thailand imported from Japan) stated that the turbos are from the Skyline. Which skyline? I am not sure. I would not be surprise if the turbos are same as the 300ZX.

The turbo compressor outlet is 1.5" ID. Therefore, I am using the same diameter. Secondly, it will keep the velocity high. The Y-Pipe will be 3".

I though about Top Mount intercooler, but it just not a very LEXUS with a hood.

Once again, turbo lag should not be a problem at all. One of the guys i know have a Acura Integra with the same turbo. I think his motor is 2.0 or very close to that. He sees 13 psi at around 3.5k.
Old 09-30-02, 07:25 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok the piping and everything seems like is it setup pretty good although I still scrap the once in a while and my car is not lowered.

What do you plan with the tranny and the electronic stuff like the ECU?

Quick Reply: TT LS400 Prototype