LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

TT LS400 Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-02, 08:59 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MSD Dis-4 can control most of the electronics. Ie. timing, rev. limites and other functions. I have talked to the mechanic that work on my Cobra the MSD can do most of the work.

Stage I: 7 psi non-intercooled
Estimated HP:
*330-350 rwhp
Fuel:
1. Stock Injectors
2. Raising fuel pressure regulator

Stage II: 15 psi methanol/water injection.
Estimated HP:
*450-500 rwhp
Fuel:
1. 440cc or 550 cc Injectors
2. Raising fuel pressure regulator, Walbro Fuel pump 250 L/hr or similar that will support about 500 rwhp.
Hardware:
1. SCE Copper Head Gasket .093" will lowered one compression ratio.
2. ARP head bolts.

I am trying to retain most stock parts as much as possible. For stage II is a totally different story. Tranny should able to handle at least 400-500 rwhp. Someone have the real data on LS400 tranny capacity?
Old 09-30-02, 11:26 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by healerhand
Stage II: 15 psi methanol/water injection.
Estimated HP:
*450-500 rwhp

<bowing> we're not worthy, we're not worthy!!

Dude, that is going to be one insane ride! <drooling for more pics>

GA400
Old 10-01-02, 12:52 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello JBrady,

I dont have the turbo maps. The person who import them from Thailand (Thailand imported from Japan) stated that the turbos are from the Skyline. Which skyline? I am not sure. I would not be surprise if the turbos are same as the 300ZX.

The turbo compressor outlet is 1.5" ID. Therefore, I am using the same diameter. Secondly, it will keep the velocity high. The Y-Pipe will be 3".

I though about Top Mount intercooler, but it just not a very LEXUS with a hood.

Once again, turbo lag should not be a problem at all. One of the guys i know have a Acura Integra with the same turbo. I think his motor is 2.0 or very close to that. He sees 13 psi at around 3.5k.
Hmmm... the Skyline is a 280hp (under-rated) 2.6 liter I-6 engine. 280hp was the Japanese agreed max power for a production car and that is why so many Japanese engines are rated 280 including the 1st generation Q45 rated at 278hp. Actually many made much more. So, I do not know the capacity of the turbos but would guess they make 150hp each as installed from the factory. It would be good to know what some have made on those turbos. Has your buddy with the Acura dyno'd his car? I think Integras have 1.8 liter engines. I am surprised that it requires 3500rpm to make 13psi. Something seems off. I think you will have quicker response... we shall see.

Regarding the turbo outlet ID of 1.5", yes, I understand, but that is the flaring end of the compessor outlet. Your outlet tubes will have bends plus length and that creates resistance which will lower efficiency. IMHO, the 1.5" ID primarys are too small and the 3" secondary is too large. I would go 2"OD (apx 1.8 ID) and 2.5" OD (apx 2.3" ID).

Last edited by JBrady; 10-01-02 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 02:37 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Hello JB & Everyone,

Thank you for your replies. I will contact my buddy to see how many HP he gets from a 1.8 Liter with 13 PSI. As for the inlet tubes. I know its slightly small. I reason i stay with 1.5" is because larger tube would not fit between the rear left and right fender and the engine.

I stay with 3" is because the intake is 3" and the MAS is also 3". The distance from the (Y-Pipe) two 1.5" to the Throttle body is about 9". Therefore the distance is very short.

I took some pictures this morning, but the damn USB port is not working properly. I will post more pics once it function correctly.
Old 10-01-02, 02:55 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Inlet Earl's SS Braided Line with 1.5" ID and 1.82" OD. FYI the SS braided line is $20 per foot from Summit Racing.
Attached Thumbnails TT LS400 Prototype-earl-s-ss-line.jpg  
Old 10-01-02, 02:58 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Close-Up. Noticed the flaring (bulge) of the outlet adapter. With T-bolt clamp, its not coming off. Matter of fact, i had a hard time getting it in.
Attached Thumbnails TT LS400 Prototype-earl-s-ss-line-side.jpg  
Old 10-01-02, 03:00 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

After grinding and heat coated, its wrapped with Thermal Tec heat wrap along with stainless steel tie.
Attached Thumbnails TT LS400 Prototype-dp-with-wrap.jpg  
Old 10-01-02, 03:01 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

This picture show the unwrap DP and Wrap DP along with Greddy Type S BOV.
Attached Thumbnails TT LS400 Prototype-greddy-type-s.jpg  
Old 10-01-02, 03:02 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

last but not least are my rides.
Attached Thumbnails TT LS400 Prototype-mdx-svt-ls.jpg  
Old 10-01-02, 07:37 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Everything is looking extrimely good! I am kind of concearned with how much a tranny on LS can handle. So how is overall project going as far as timeframe is concearned? How much longer till you get it running do you think?
Old 10-02-02, 01:36 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Doc, everything looks good. You are in unchartered territory and will be helping EVERYONE with the knowledge you will gain and share. I personally am very eager to see how it runs!!!

I am considering building a supercharger system. For those that remember my "old" signature "Supercharger Aspirations" you know that this is not a new idea for me. My 2 main concerns have always been the ability to tune the A/F ratio and ignition timing. The hardware part is challenging and without the tuning it is not worth doing. Your experiences will definitely shape my plans.

Thank you.
Old 10-02-02, 02:12 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

JB,

Root style we be the best bet. Any other type of supercharger would require removal of the battery and fuse box. I think there are three companies are making the kit. Eaton M90 would the best choice. Good luck.

Maybe we can test out the Supercharged Vs. Turbo LS400 with a given PSI on dyno and on the track, but again your is 1999 vs. 1990.

UPDATE: 10-02-02

I got two Turbonetics Actuators yesterday along with a casted short radius aluminum 3" elbow. I am still looking for some aluminum vacuum elbows so i can weld them in. Currently, i am working on the intake and the oil system.

I have a decision to make. Tilton oil pump is about $200. Weldon 9200 Series oil pump for about $400. I have heard the Weldon is more reliable and more quiter. I have called Weldon manifacture and inquire about this product. No luck, but left a messege. Hopefully, they will call me soon.

The oil pump will be the single most important thing in the whole turbo system. If the oil pump fail, the whole system crash.

Fuel, ignition and tunning will be done my mechanic with many years of experience in supercharged, turbo and N20 systems. All he does is high performance.

Therefore JBrady, i will be the one making all the mistakes and i will share it with everyone.
Old 10-02-02, 04:03 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

JB,

Root style we be the best bet. Any other type of supercharger would require removal of the battery and fuse box. I think there are three companies are making the kit. Eaton M90 would the best choice. Good luck.

Maybe we can test out the Supercharged Vs. Turbo LS400 with a given PSI on dyno and on the track, but again your is 1999 vs. 1990.
Doc, I have seen the "C's" kit, and "Forced Air Technologies" is supposed to have a kit soon... who else?

As far as roots vs. centrifugal, both have advantages but I think roots would be very helpfull in overcoming the low end torque deficit of a 4.0 liter powering a 4000lb vehicle. My idea is different from the "kits" I have seen and involves using an "angle" drive mounting the blower in front of the engine rather than on top. The benefit of this is keeping the stock variable area intake manifold that improve cruise economy and response. It should also make for an easier installation. We shall see as it is just in the idea stage.

Dyno comparision no problem, if I do it I will definitely get a before and after dyno. I expect to run either an Eaton MP90 or MP112 at around 5psi to start. Should be good for apx 100rwhp... again, we shall see (maybe).

Thanks again for taking the plunge.

Last edited by JBrady; 10-02-02 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-02-02, 05:29 PM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Just curious,
who did you get to do the custom welding?
just a run of the mill muffler shop?
how much did they charge?

Thanks
Old 10-03-02, 01:38 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the project healerhand! We are all waiting in eager anticipation at the SC forums for a successful kit that'll adapt to the SC400 as well. How are you going to crack the engine ECU or are you going to be using a piggyback device? Keep us all posted, this is news we can use!!

Quick Reply: TT LS400 Prototype