LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

TT LS400 Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-02, 06:12 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car in to a local audio shop to modify my clove compartment to host my gauges and other turbo related instructments. I was debating between the glove compartment and the center consol.

I like the glove compartment because i can lock it out and no one can change the settings. Secondly, i can hide all the instructments and gauges.

I will post pict when finish.
Old 10-08-02, 01:30 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like good progress, but the real question is how will it be like when this project is up and running.

Last edited by LOTC; 10-08-02 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-08-02, 01:01 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

David, after studying the pictures I have a good understanding of how you are routing the intake. The only picture I cannot discern is the last one. Care to describe that picture and its function?

Now, you and I have been discussing this project. You have my sincere respect for taking on this effort and I can tell by your resolve it will get sorted out and running.

That said I must say I am pesimistic about the ability for the MAF meter to work properly as you show. MAF meters are finicky animals and in fact the 1st gen Karmen Vortex meters seem especially so... just ask Lvangundy.

It seems that you are routing the twin 1.5" ID braided lines into the 2 short aluminum tubes in the 1st picture. You mention flow directors within this small plenum which will help as you do not want the 2 air blasts coliding head on. Unfortunately, I can see no way the air flow will be smooth through the MAF. It is recommended that you have a straight section immediately before and after the meter and that is not considering two high flow, high pressure compressor outlet tubes dumping into the area immediately before the meter.

HKS sells a VPC (vein pressure converter) that allows the removal of MAF meters and converts to MAP (manifold absolute pressure). This may be necessary if you must route the way you have. If used their is no need for the MAF housing or internal components.

You mentioned to me that you planned to use the HKS piggyback ECU for fueling. Please explain, does this controll auxillary injectors or modify the pulsewidth and timing on the existing injectors? If it is the former I must express more concern. If it is the latter I am very interested to hear more about this product.

Again, not trying to depress you or hinder your efforts. If I had known your intentions before these pictures I would have tried to discuss some options with you. Let me know if you want anyMORE of my imput :eek:
Old 10-08-02, 07:12 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

JBrady,

Inputs are greatly appreciated. This is a trial and error project. If the MAS system did not work, i will switch it to HKS MAP system. The car will be ready for tuning next week. I dont know much about tuning so i can not comment on it.
Old 10-08-02, 08:05 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

I just found out how much the HKS VPC cost. $1,590.00 . Ouch..... I hope i dont have to go that route.
Old 10-09-02, 02:58 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know if this will work. If you go to www.dsmtrader.com they sometimes havel HKS VPC for 200-400 bucks used. Its mostly private sellers gathered. Its a rare item and don't come around often but its much cheaper.
Old 10-09-02, 03:16 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Greddy E-Management sounds great too.
Old 10-10-02, 03:07 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Hello All,

As of today i am still waiting for the Tilton Oil pump. Meanwhile, i placed my order of the methanol/water injection system. I talked to the owner of the company for about 40 minutes before i placed my order.

Anyway, as far as computer is concern. I did a lot of digging and make few phone calls. This is what i found. APEXI S-AFC might be the ticket

http://www.apexi-usa.com/productdocu..._us_update.pdf

If you follow the link. This piggy back will work on SC400 from 92-00.

As far as the MAS and the two 1.5" inlet pipes might cause come turbeline flow and hopefully the tuning will even it out as far as A/F mixture.
Old 10-14-02, 08:40 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Do you have any pics of the routing and union pipes for the turbos?
Old 10-15-02, 05:25 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

MMax,

David is using 1.5" ID braided flex line from the compressor outlet to the union box pictured here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...&postid=412057

The picture shows the box from beneath. The top of the box faces the firewall. The short straight tube is from the driver side turbo. The curved short tube is from the passenger turbo. The long tube pointed forward is to the compressor BOV.

Does this help?
Old 10-15-02, 07:15 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Thank you John for explaining it. I couldnt have done it better. My Oil pump is coming tomorrow and i will take my car in for full installing of turbos, oil system, actuator brackets and inlet braid line. It will be pretty simple straight forward installation. It would not take more than 1 hour. Its just bolt-on.

The only thing that will take some time is custom actuator bracket. I got two brackets from Home Depot, it just need some modifications.

After that, its fuel, ignition and tunning time. The fuel and tunning work will start next week. I assume my car will be in his shop for at least 1-2 weeks. He is very detail and slow. I dont want to rush him. I want him to do right. He is very good and i have 100% faith in him.

I will let u know the details once its done.
Old 10-18-02, 09:21 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Just recieved my alcohol/water injection today. I called Summit Racing and try to find out what is going to with my order (Oil Pump). The order was placed in the computer, but they forget to ship it.

Anyway, make the story short. They are giving me 10% with next day mail. I will get it on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, I will install the Alcohol/Water injection system
Old 10-25-02, 07:02 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Some new pictures. Oil line is being install as we speak.
Attached Thumbnails TT LS400 Prototype-ttunder.jpg  
Old 10-25-02, 07:03 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

close up on the right turbo
Attached Thumbnails TT LS400 Prototype-r-turbo-under.jpg  
Old 10-25-02, 07:04 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Now the other side