LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

TT LS400 Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-02, 07:05 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

other pics
Attached Thumbnails TT LS400 Prototype-l-sideview.jpg  
Old 10-25-02, 07:37 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

David,

Looking good but I am concerned about the clocking of the turbo center sections. The oil feed should be on top and the drain on the bottom. Yours appear angled between 45 degrees from parallel. You are also hoping the oil pump will pull the return oil uphill. Depending on the pump itself that may or may not be practical. Oh well, the worst thing is you will have a mosquito fogger. Since you have removed the cats there is no problem ruining those parts. I agree that having sumps under the turbos would make them too close to the ground and subject to failure. You may need to find a way to mount the pump lower, again depending on the pump itself.
Old 10-25-02, 07:45 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Hello John,

The Tilton Differentail pump is a self primed pump. The pump can be placed 8 ft above the fluid. The turbos are actually about 1.5" lower than the lowest part of the car. Its not bad if i dont lower it.

As off right now, i am pretty happy with the progression. Few changes from the original plan, but that is learning.
Old 10-25-02, 07:52 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

you can see more pictures

http://www.lextreme.com/Stage%20I.htm
Old 10-25-02, 10:50 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, that is pretty low. I have just ordered the set of JIC coilovers so I am going to lower my car even more. I wonder how close the turbos would be to the ground. Impressive progress though! I camn not wait for the dino and the november meet!
Old 10-26-02, 03:42 PM
soaringhigh
Rookie

what about the computer? are you running stand alone or piggy back for fuel and timeing?
finally some willing to take the plung, big ups to you .
let us know as soon as you fire up that baby.
Old 10-26-02, 04:35 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good but I am concerned about the clocking of the turbo center sections.
Ditto to Jbrady's concerns... The center section oil feed is typicallly set up to be more of an oil bath that flows from the top of the bearing body to the bottom. Unless the flow can run unimpeded from top (input) to bottom (outlet / return) your oil will simply blow out of the gaskets and never make it to the return line. The return line must be gravity or almost vaccum, otherwise it will back up and smoke. I had a partially collapsed return oil line that caused alot of smoking and the hose wasn't even fully collapsed, just constricted a little. Perhaps that's why the return is such a large diameter hose--mine was like 1" or around that size.

My question- how is the oil going to be evacuated from the other side of the center section of the turbo?
Old 10-27-02, 01:21 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Got the baby fired up today. John and SC300T is correct. The feed line is flowing too much oil into the turbo and the pump is not fast enough to return it to the oil pain. I need to get an adjustable -AN 4 valve to reduce the oil flow. The Tilton pump is rated at 2.5-3 gal/minute. I need to adjust the feedline about 2 gal/min.

Yes, after the car ideal for a while. Massive smoke coming out from the exhuast. It should be fix when i get the valve.

Eventhought the car is not tune, i test drove it and boost up to 5 psi.

It was fun to hear the BOV.

I will wait until my oil system calibrated first before any test run. More pictures will come soon..
Old 10-27-02, 03:48 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any way to orient the center sections vertically, and place a tiny (custom) sump under the body of the center section, then evacuate the oil from that back into the main sump? That may be the only way to both oil the turbo properly and provide for adequate outflow. If you have time, look at the center sections of a typical turbo. That body has several oil galleries and cavities that rely on gravity to flow properly. You could also call a few turbo suppliers to ask for suggestions, they may have run into this situation before.
Old 10-27-02, 10:00 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

The problem i face is that when the oil sump is installed, its too low to the floor. I understand exactly what you are saying, but it would not be functional in a driving situation. Turbos are 1.5" lower already, with oil sump, that will add another 1.5"-2" and the total of 3"-3.5" lower than stock.

If my oil sump sits that low, my car will be a dyno queen. I will try to adjust the oil inlet to compensate for the slow outlet. The problem i will face is that at higher rpm, the oil pressure will be higher and more oil will flow. I need to find a medium.

I will take more pictures tomorrow.

david

Suggestions are greatly appreciated..

david
Old 10-28-02, 11:32 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Ok, well, you are on the right track with the oil restrictors on the turbo inlets.

Next step, re-clock the turbos so the feed is directly on top and the drain directly below. If you do not ANY pooling of the oil will tend to get by the seals on BOTH the compressor and the turbine side. The turbine side will smoke and the compressor side will oil the intake.

Third thought, look through the NPT fittings available to you that will thread into the oil drain plate on the bottom of the turbos. See if you can find a larger inside area one that will work as a mini-sump. The oil coming out of a turbo under load is "whipped" and looks like foam. This takes up more area than expected.

There is a guy that ran the Incon turbosystem and converted from the supplied sumps to fittings similar to yours and reported success. I will try to find his web page and maybe he can add to your resources.
Old 10-28-02, 01:28 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Oil sump is almost impossible. Rotation the oil drain will further lower the clearance. Currently, the oil drain is about 45 degrees it should drain find. I think a restrictor valve will work, but it will take some drainage testing. Now i called few places and i am having a hard time finding one.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-28-02, 03:08 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Actually i need a pressure compensated restrictor valve. The valve is very expensive. I called Bosch Fluid Product division and the price is $450 for the restrictor valve.

WOW!!!!
Old 10-28-02, 03:55 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

David, years ago at Cartech... Corky used carb jets as a restricter oriface. You could do the same with nitrous jets or something similar. The idea of course is to make the inlet hole substancially smaller therefore restricting both pressure and flow.
Old 10-29-02, 08:03 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

I got a restrictor valve from www.valvestore.com i will install it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: TT LS400 Prototype