LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

First Car - Electric/Brake troubles

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11 | 10:08 PM
kcasto
Driver School Candidate

Ok...well..

I replaced 3 of the FL fuses since they were all grimy looking and they're cheap. Wasn't too hard puttin them in thanks to my small fingers by the way, the fuses i bought said 32v on them. is this ok? i wouldn't think it would be a problem but correct me if im wrong. I also took out the phone fuse since i kept getting this loud beep every time i put the key in.

also put a new air filter in..the other one had holes and was dirty from the mouse nesting. this should clear up my air inside the car being so hot.

so i do all that connect everything back up, fuses, battery etc. to the point- tonight my buddy helps me with a jump. at first the car only stays idle when the cables are on. take them off - car dies. then it would just die with the cables on if i didnt rev it.

i don't know what to make of this..i noticed that a metal part of one of the positive battery cables was a bit bent so that it didn't exactly fit the groove of the other one..if you know what i mean. theres 2 cables bolted on top of each other- tight i might add so i wouldn't think this would corrupt anything.

could my battery be shot already? i bought it new when i got the car in August. Since then theres obviously been alot of electric issues..seems the battery has been drained and needed a jump quite a bit.
Old 10-21-11 | 07:16 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Alternator dead. Did you ever have it tested? If you can't drive the car b/c it wont stay running, you should pull the alt. and bring it to Autozone and have them test it. Here's the DIY on alternator removal, (and test if you can do it and have the meters); http://www.lextreme.com/alternator.html
Old 10-25-11 | 04:24 PM
kcasto
Driver School Candidate

Today I did most of the alternator removal. Only snag I ran into was disconnecting the wire cable from the alternator..didnt want to budge. I was a bit tired at that point so I didn't want to force anything stupid. Will finish it once my alternator comes via UPS.

I will try to take some pictures, but I also confirmed that I had the PS leak as well.,.the stuff was all over the place down there. i have neither the time nor the money to do any major fix as far as the PS pump is concerned..so most likely i will try to hook up something temporary to protect the alternator from getting splurged on.

And I forgot to mention- my car has no engine under cover..lol. see what i can scrounge up at the junkyard once this is settled.
Old 10-26-11 | 06:52 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Get that PS fluid leak fixed SOON or you're gonna have the same problem with your alternator. Be very, very careful getting that plug out of the back of the alternator. Do not use pliers, they will crush, and crack, the plug then you'll be screwed. (I know that b/c I crushed mine.) You can get a used PS pump from the junkyard for about $40 and rebuild the one you have when you have time. Hey, you got the manual, you might as well use it. Right? Or for a TEMP fix check out post 2 in this; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...lternator.html
Old 10-26-11 | 06:23 PM
kcasto
Driver School Candidate

how would you take it out then? i gripped that thing so tight my fingers were scraped but it wasnt closer towards moving..
Old 10-27-11 | 05:10 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kcasto
how would you take it out then? i gripped that thing so tight my fingers were scraped but it wasnt closer towards moving..
You can try pliers but....you must know your own grip strength, don't squeeze too tight. I friend of mine told me, after I already smashed it, to grab it with some harsh grit sandpaper after cleaning all the PS fluid off of it. Just try not to slip b/c you will probably pull the wires right out of the connector. If you do smash it, I think someone did just buy a new one, within the past couple weeks, somewhere but I can't remember who or where.
Old 11-03-11 | 03:31 PM
kcasto
Driver School Candidate

Got the alternator out today. The wire connector was a ***** but after playin around with it for about an hour I got it out. Not sure I did anything different than what I'd been trying, but I just dried my fingers and gave it a strong gradual pull and it came out. Inside it was all corroded which is why it was stuck obviously.
Old 11-17-11 | 01:11 PM
kcasto
Driver School Candidate

Just to update the thread- put the new alternator in and the car runs perfectly. Will upload pics later when I find my camera cable.
Old 11-18-11 | 07:25 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Good deal,, yeah the alternator change is a monkey once you first try to do it. I have changed a few myself, and now have the entire process down to just over an hour from start to finish (yeah I have changed mine that many times over the years with various problems I have had,, not all PS related) .
Old 11-19-11 | 08:17 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trukn1
I have changed a few myself, and now have the entire process down to just over an hour from start to finish
An hour?? My last one (2nd) took me 34 minutes, and that was even with wiring up a new connector. But I guess in 30* weather ya just want to hurry up and get to the heat. Plus, once ya know what's in the area that you need to work around it just gets easier every time. I had the alternator out 4 times between the PS issues and the timing belts.