LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

K&N- OUT! Stock IN!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-02 | 10:15 AM
2UX31 YM
Driver

My experience with a K&N cone style filter is that once installed i noticed an improvement on the highway. But after a week or two my transmission felt as if it was slipping. This is where i started freaking out because I do not have the money or time to drop a tranny in my car. I would get a very noticable hesitation in first gear, and it felt as if the engine was getting these surges of power. I was at my whits end to find out why this was happening. As a last resort I returned the air filter back to stock before I was going to take the car to the dealership. As I drove the car around the next day with everything back to stock, my problem completely went away.
My recommendation for the LS400 first gen is to stay away from ANY type of cone style intake. All I have is the K&N drop in filter that gets cleaned and re-charged once a month. The only advantage of this filter is that it is cleanable. There is no real improvement in performance that I notice. Just stay away from putting an intake adapter and a cone style filter. It is bad for the LS400.
Old 10-12-02 | 01:10 PM
wolver1ne
Driver School Candidate

Default K&N filter

What you've experienced is the trany not being adjusted to comprehend the extra horsepower being found when more air is being recieved. I do understand the MAP sensor is sensative so the computer needs to be informed of the change. in other words..a tool called a power programmer such as the one by Hypertech (hypertech-inc.com) can help. If hypertech's product doesn't work w/toyota computers then I'm sure there's other companys that does.
Another problem which might help could simply be solving the hesitation is the exaust...Hot Rod magazines explain that if more air/fuel mixture is on the rise for the intake, you might need to export the backedup combination to release unused horsepower. otherwise youl need to chance a whole number of other things like the engine dampener,retard sensor, trany,rear gears,the whole nine yards.Now since the automotive world is clearly relying on computers to handle many aspects of the engines componets, the hesitation you might've felt could be easily solved by plugging in a power programmer, selecting through a multipul choice questionare and then unplugging to try out your selections. Anyone can do these upgrades with todays technology =-)

Wolver1ne
P.S. hope this helps