LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Time to do her right with bodywork and paint ( 1991 )

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 08:54 AM
Patsum
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys

Just an update:

I had a body shop do my whole car in Lexus 176 paint..the metallic silver for $750 for a two stage....

It did not lay down or look right from them AND One tone silver does NOT good good on my LS at all in my mind..but this may have to do with the paint job and the lower panels being plastic not quite matching or looking right to the metal upper panels....either way..Black we go.

SO I worked out a deal for me to pay for materials and they will do they labor for a full on color change to Lexus Obsidian black.

I will report back with pictures and such

i cannot find a better black than the current LS Black ( obsidian is the name ) besides the toyota 202 black.

Time to do her right with bodywork and paint ( 1991 )-il5yo.jpg

Last edited by Patsum; 11-14-11 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-21-11, 06:07 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

Default My last paint update

I sucked it up and had her painted inside and out proper Black today. Lexus 212 Obsidian

here is a teaser back pic....she is GORGEOUS in this color....
forget two tone anything. I am in love

This was the right choice. $1400 later...two paint jobs and enough tools to last me a long time..I learned my lesson

Time to do her right with bodywork and paint ( 1991 )-0jaot.jpg
Old 11-22-11, 05:00 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Damn, that's a good looking "tease". The silver looked decent, but like ya said, not perfect. That black looks awesome, can't wait to see some more pics. About your painting adventure, hey, live and learn. Everyone has their limits, and you found yours. Nothing wrong with that, I still applaud you for trying. Maybe in the future you'll pick up more tips. At least for now when people talk paint, you have some knowledge. Again, looks awesome.
Old 11-22-11, 07:26 AM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to be painting my LS my self. I have some experience in autobody so it'll be a sinch for me. Gona do a color change to satten black.
Old 11-22-11, 08:24 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ocr
I am going to be painting my LS my self. I have some experience in autobody so it'll be a sinch for me. Gona do a color change to satten black.
That's a pretty cocky statement. Personally, I hope you can do it, but I'll tell you, there is nothing on this car that is a "cinch". Just b/c you have some experience doesn't mean you have enough experience. It's alot harder to do a perfect paint job then you think, especially in black. And especially trying to get all those hail dings out of your car to be smooth enough to where the black paint doesn't look wavy. Black will show every little "tiny" imperfection. Like I said, "I hope you can do it" but paint, I feel should be left to the professionals with a paint booth. (and enough light to see the imperfections)
Old 11-22-11, 08:24 AM
Patsum
Pole Position

awesome. Black is easier to paint than the silver was. I tried it myself. no problem. not perfect, but for $150 . not bad

On the color change..do you plan on removing the headlightsd/tailights/markers and the door handles and inner door trim? Or just mask and paint?

Do not cheap out..you NEED good paint and a good clearcoat..don't go one stage

Last edited by Patsum; 11-22-11 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-22-11, 05:06 PM
SupraRz123
Driver School Candidate

Nothing wrong with single stage. It can turn out just as nice.
Old 11-22-11, 05:11 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

I guess to each his own but before I had this painted I looked at toyota 202 side by side for one with single stage dupont and then two stage with 3 layers of clear and the clearcoat adds depth like you would not believe. Might as well spend the extra $100 if you are doing it yourself for the clear..this is your $50,000 car. why cheap out on the essential look of it that you have to live with.

Like I said, just an opinion. Yes it won't look bad but I prefer and recommend the two stage for this.
In fact there is debate that lexus uses single stage for it's black 212 stock for the new 2012 LS460.

If that is true I have obviously been misled by my painting co. Entirely possible.
Old 11-22-11, 09:35 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deanshark
That's a pretty cocky statement. Personally, I hope you can do it, but I'll tell you, there is nothing on this car that is a "cinch". Just b/c you have some experience doesn't mean you have enough experience. It's alot harder to do a perfect paint job then you think, especially in black. And especially trying to get all those hail dings out of your car to be smooth enough to where the black paint doesn't look wavy. Black will show every little "tiny" imperfection. Like I said, "I hope you can do it" but paint, I feel should be left to the professionals with a paint booth. (and enough light to see the imperfections)
By no means did I say that to be cocky, just saying. I've worked in 3 different autobody shops and went to school for autobody repair. No I don't have a booth but I know there are shops out there that'll let you rent a booth they are not using. Iv painted cars b4 and know all about black showing every little improfection. That's why I'm gona sand and prep the car my self. I've debated paying someone to paint it. But painting a car is not hard at all, thebodywork it the hardest part and takes the longest time to do.

I got a lot of other work to do befor painting the car. To anyone that is doing a color change on there own, remove headlights, fogs, corner lights, brake lights, door pannels, all and everything you don't want painted other than windows, just tape and cover thoes. Also recomended that you remove your mufflers and aftermarket wheels to avoide over spray. Paint the door sils and jams first, then continue to the rest
Old 11-23-11, 08:42 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

This is my attempt at a stock lexus ad picture

The only thing wrong is my right headlights are not seated perfectly
otherwise..this car is flawless black and I am in love

Never knew it could look so good.
Enjoy.

Time to do her right with bodywork and paint ( 1991 )-zw06j.jpg
Old 11-27-11, 12:08 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sweet classic pic^^^ Sometimes you just have to appreciate the original beauty of a car like this
Old 11-27-11, 11:03 AM
davisk
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice great turn out