LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Programming a key for a 1999 LS400, is this correct?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 07:11 PM
AndrewRM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlcoffin
valet keys also do have transponders in them, but they are cut differently so they cannot be used on the gas/trunk lock switch, the glove box, or the trunk. this is so the valet can enter the car, using the key, and start and drive the car in his job, but cannot unlock the gas/trunk lock, if the lock button is pushed, nor get into the trunk or glove box, if the glove box is locked with a master key. i think 1998 and on, lexus went to using keys with the remote controls built in, before, just key and remote separate as a fob. if the key you have can open/unlock all of the above, then it's a master.
Yeah I just tried locking the glove box for the first time and it didn't work. But, I can open the trunk from the rear. It's a bit confusing. I assume that I can't program a master key with the valet key which would suck. I need to figure this out so I can at least have an extra key.
Old 12-10-18, 07:19 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

your car, what year? on mine, locking the glove box involves turning the key sideways 90 degrees, and removing the key directly from that position. mine's a 97. i got my car with just the one key, and it worked fine when using it to program my second key with. but if it worked fine for the trunk lock, then pretty sure its a master. my users manual states:

1, master key- the master key works in every lock
2. subkey- the subkey will not open the trunk, trunk main switch, and the glovebox.

i think you'll be fine.

experts, feel free to correct me.

Old 12-11-18, 06:11 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

your car, what year? on mine, locking the glove box involves turning the key sideways 90 degrees, and removing the key directly from that position. mine's a 97. i got my car with just the one key, and it worked fine when using it to program my second key with. but if it worked fine for the trunk lock, then pretty sure its a master. my users manual states:

2. subkey- the subkey will not open the trunk, trunk main switch, and the glovebox.

i think you'll be fine.

When you insert your key into the ignition watch the security light that is on the dash somewhere. If it goes out as soon as the key is inserted your key is registered as a master. If it stays on for a second then goes out your key is registered as a sub.

The cut is the same on both the master and sub keys. The reason they wont work in the glovebox is the key blank is different. A key cut on a sub key blank can be registered in the ecu as a master.

If you dont have a master key you cannot register any new keys to the ecu without a reflash.
Old 12-11-18, 06:22 AM
AndrewRM
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mauser
When you insert your key into the ignition watch the security light that is on the dash somewhere. If it goes out as soon as the key is inserted your key is registered as a master. If it stays on for a second then goes out your key is registered as a sub.

The cut is the same on both the master and sub keys. The reason they wont work in the glovebox is the key blank is different. A key cut on a sub key blank can be registered in the ecu as a master.

If you dont have a master key you cannot register any new keys to the ecu without a reflash.
OK so I have a 99 and I figured out that the original master has a keypad on the key. Mine doesn't so it is a valet key. If the valet key is registered as a master, would I be able to use it for a new key?
Old 12-11-18, 06:26 AM
AndrewRM
Rookie

i think you'll be fine.

The key doesn't even insert into the glove box or the trunk lock by the steering wheel. It's a 99. Still hoping I can register a new with with what I have. I'll also be investigating into previous owners and if they have they keys haha.
Old 12-11-18, 06:28 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AndrewRM
OK so I have a 99 and I figured out that the original master has a keypad on the key. Mine doesn't so it is a valet key. If the valet key is registered as a master, would I be able to use it for a new key?
Originally from the dealer the master keys were key fobs too. Should have come new with 2 master key fobs, a regular valet and a card key. If your key without the fob is programmed as a master you can use it to register new keys. The physical key doesnt matter, its how it is registered in the ecu.
Old 12-11-18, 06:33 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

If your key is registered in the ecu as a valet you can still have it cloned. You could have the new key cut on a master blank and just have the transponder cloned. The ecu will think itis the same key, but will open all locks and start the car.

If you dont have a master and want one you will have to have the eeprom flashed.
Old 12-11-18, 06:40 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Making keys, registering them, and even reflashing the ecu are actually simple processes once you get them figured out. If you were close to Albuquerque I would be happy to show you how.

Old 12-11-18, 06:48 AM
AndrewRM
Rookie

Making keys, registering them, and even reflashing the ecu are actually simple processes once you get them figured out. If you were close to Albuquerque I would be happy to show you how.
I appreciate your help and knowledge. I may message you when I figure out the deal with the key I currently have. At work now so I can't see the security light.
Old 12-11-18, 06:55 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AndrewRM
I appreciate your help and knowledge. I may message you when I figure out the deal with the key I currently have. At work now so I can't see the security light.
Yes, let me know if you need help, I am happy to give it. I started fighting the key making problem this last summer when I needed a new key for my 98 LX470. After finding out the price to have someone else do it I learned to reflash the ecus myself and even bought a key duplicator. Now that I have it figured out I will do it for others for free. It usually takes longer to remove the ecu from the vehicle than it does to reflash the eeprom.
Old 02-21-21, 10:47 AM
Rongusha
Driver School Candidate

Yes, let me know if you need help, I am happy to give it. I started fighting the key making problem this last summer when I needed a new key for my 98 LX470. After finding out the price to have someone else do it I learned to reflash the ecus myself and even bought a key duplicator. Now that I have it figured out I will do it for others for free. It usually takes longer to remove the ecu from the vehicle than it does to reflash the eeprom.
Hi, sorry for opening an old thread but i was wondering do you know if i can and how to program a new master key to the immobilizer without having the original master or valet or any at all. I got the car with a key just for locking (it will not take the security lamp off) so i got a new blank key and second hand chip and i manage to program the remote lock/unlock but everything i find for imo programming i need an original key and i dont have one .

Regards
Old 02-22-21, 05:31 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Rongusha
Hi, sorry for opening an old thread but i was wondering do you know if i can and how to program a new master key to the immobilizer without having the original master or valet or any at all. I got the car with a key just for locking (it will not take the security lamp off) so i got a new blank key and second hand chip and i manage to program the remote lock/unlock but everything i find for imo programming i need an original key and i dont have one .

Regards
You can't program it to start the car without a master key. Your only option is to change the ECU and have it flashed to a new chip which is going to be costly since you will most likely have to visit the dealer. Sorry for the bad news. Someone else might chime in and offer another scenario but I doubt it.
Old 02-22-21, 07:25 AM
Yamae

Received 887 Likes on 669 Posts

If you were familiar to deal with an EEPROM, there would be a way to make it possible to run your car reprogramming your car's engine immobilizer in the invent of lost keys or a swapped ECU. I would be able to introduce you the way how to do it but it is not for everyone, only if I were allowed to do so here.

Only those who are skilled and familiar to deal with EEPROMs can do it. It is not simple and easy. It also needs some tools and needs to assemble electronics circuits. The quickest way would be to ask a skilled locksmith who is familiar to LS400 to do it.
Old 02-22-21, 08:09 AM
Rongusha
Driver School Candidate

Hi, thanks for the answers. I read the thread about the ecu "hacking" and this way far from my abilities so i found a local locksmith that said it will do the job for me and hopes are back on will let you guys know how it went.
Old 02-23-21, 04:22 AM
Rongusha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
If you were familiar to deal with an EEPROM, there would be a way to make it possible to run your car reprogramming your car's engine immobilizer in the invent of lost keys or a swapped ECU. I would be able to introduce you the way how to do it but it is not for everyone, only if I were allowed to do so here.

Only those who are skilled and familiar to deal with EEPROMs can do it. It is not simple and easy. It also needs some tools and needs to assemble electronics circuits. The quickest way would be to ask a skilled locksmith who is familiar to LS400 to do it.

Hi mate, am i took my ecu to the locksmith and he told he cant see imobilazer on it. So where can i find an imobilazer box? Also do you mind email me the instructions you mentioned so i can show them to my locksmith and see if he can do it. Teodor214@gmail.com Regards!

Last edited by Rongusha; 02-23-21 at 04:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Programming a key for a 1999 LS400, is this correct?