LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 lack of tension on retracting seatbelts (front)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 09:46 PM
gvm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 lack of tension on retracting seatbelts (front)

Hi, I have a 1995/96 LS400.
The tension on the front seat belts is fine when the belts are in use, but when the seat belt is released from its catch, the tension is not sufficient to retract the belts quickly and fully.

I've read on the forums that there are two types of retraction assembly. One uses a solenoid with two retraction springs of different strengths, the second uses a motor and the method depends on the year of manufacture and apparently the method changed to the solenoid method around the time my car was made.

I've attached photos of my assembly. Can someone with repair manuals etc confirm whether it uses the solenoid or motor method please? And depending on the method, how to fix the retraction problem please? TIA .... Greg
Attached Thumbnails LS400 lack of tension on retracting seatbelts (front)-006.jpg   LS400 lack of tension on retracting seatbelts (front)-007.jpg   LS400 lack of tension on retracting seatbelts (front)-012.jpg   LS400 lack of tension on retracting seatbelts (front)-013.jpg  
Old 10-22-11, 12:49 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firstly modern seat belts need extreme care when being worked on. The reason here is that they are fitted with pre tensioners that tighten the belt in the event of a front impact accident.
Pre tensioners are effectively explosive devices similar to airbags and care must be taken for this reason.
The car battery should be disconnected and the vehicle left for a least 30 minutes to allow back up circuits to discharge before any work is carried out.
There have been previous cases of seat belt retraction failure possibly due to the return spring tension being lost, there are not as far as I am aware any motors within the mechanism.
Replacement is probably your best option either new from the dealer or from a breaker.
Old 10-22-11, 07:46 PM
AussieAuto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no solinoid or motor retraction devices, it is a spring return. Do not pull the thing apart it is like a tape measure and the spring will fly out and from that point it's useless. Try cleaning the pivot point at the top of the B pillar, where it comes up and over and back down again. That is probably dirty and slows down return of belt. If this doesn't help then I rec a new belt...
Old 10-27-11, 02:32 AM
gvm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks but if you look closely at the bottom left of the assembly you can see a cable loom going into it. I think the tension control is electrically powered.
Old 06-22-12, 12:49 PM
RA010623
Pit Crew

i picked up a 95 LS400 and over the year the two front driver and passenger seat belt did not retract anymore.
I did a lot of searching on the form there seem to be couple fixes (bandaid) but i decided to order brand new set of belt from lexus dealer and get them replaced.
Since it's a safety concern it's better to have a piece of mind that the seat belt is brand new working condition.
i ordered my parts from OEM Lexus Parts .
My car has black interior so i placed order for 2 black belts. Unfortunately i was informed they no longer produce black so i was sent blue gray color.
The blue gray is a dark gray color which is very close match to the original black belts. The only difference is the buckle is gray instead of black.
the belt cost $168 per piece + S&H . Because the belt has a powder charge the S&H was like $40 because it's hazardous material.

Part number 7321050082B0 (right) / 7322050082B0 (left)

The installation was pretty straight forward. I didn't take any pictures.
1. Pull door trim from front and rear door. ( all held in by clips just grab and hold and pull)
2. pull the lower trim on the pillar (also heldin by clips)
3. you may or may not have to remove the seats. i was lucky enough to only have to remove the driver seat to undo the bolt where it connects belt to seat.

IMPORTANT: disconnect the battery because belt has a powder charge make sure you disconnect the battery before you proceed in case you set of the charge.

4. now you have access to the tensioner , first get a small screw driver and push the button to release the level to it's up position.
5. unclip the electrical plug to the tensioner.
6. undo 2 bolts holding the tension in place. 8mm and 14mm
7. undo the upper trim where top of the belt is secured to near the height motor.
8. undo the bolt holding the belt in place behind the top trim. I used vice grips to undo the nut because it's a star shape.
9. now you have the tensioner off the car jsut do everything in reverse and install the new belt.
Old 06-22-12, 04:13 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by gvm
Thanks but if you look closely at the bottom left of the assembly you can see a cable loom going into it. I think the tension control is electrically powered.
yeah they have a tension reducer that kicks in when the belt is latched. My drivers side seat belt wouldn't retract when latched, but all I'd have to do is release it and it would take up the extra slack. then relatch it.
Old 06-22-12, 06:25 PM
Budul
Driver School Candidate

Cool seatbelts

i just switched mine because im not puttin 160+ for new one ...it works so far ...the insides look the same and cables are able to be switched and so far no prob. i can feel it loses the tension when the key is out
Old 06-25-12, 05:56 AM
AussieAuto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The belt is spring retracting only, the wire connected to it is for if the air bag system. Now if this happens to deploy (ie accident) then the seat belt will lock from inertia and then the srs/air bag system will pull the belt back approx 6 inch's, that is why the connector to it is a yellow plug and sometimes a second one that is orange. Once the srs system has been deployed and if the belt was activated it is now useless and has to be replaced...