LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Megan EZ's on UCF20/UCF21

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 10:38 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

youzealands will get you 20mm lower. I believe i paid like $350-$400 for my set front / rear
Old 11-10-11, 10:53 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

is it possible to just get the rears only since the fronts can slam already?
Old 11-10-11, 11:51 PM
Rey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fronts will give you more suspension travel for any given ride height. Meaning, your uca will have more clearance before it bottoms out on the shock tower, given you have the ride height set the same before and after installing them. Im pretty sure at that height your upper control arms are hitting once and awhile at least.
Old 11-11-11, 12:59 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

pretty sure you have that backwards, an SS kit increases shock travel but DECREASES shock tower clearance as you're moving the spindle/UCA up the thickness of the spacer.
Old 11-11-11, 06:57 AM
Rey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
pretty sure you have that backwards, an SS kit increases shock travel but DECREASES shock tower clearance as you're moving the spindle/UCA up the thickness of the spacer.
Yea, you're right. Posting before bed, not a good idea. Although, I'm sure he would still benefit from the adjustment of the roll center.
Old 11-11-11, 07:54 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

i read up and i guess i have 2 options..

1) droop the springs/mess with preload

2) rear youzealand ss kit
Old 11-11-11, 08:34 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

when I called megan they told me that the max free-play allowed in the coilover was 1"

ie-you can drop the lower perch enough to allow the spring to hang <1" from the top. I wouldn't go past 1/2-3/4 tbh
Old 11-11-11, 09:02 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

here are some pics..

this is with the rears maxed out.. i evened the fronts to the rears so i wouldnt be raked

and this is a close up of the gap in the rear

Old 11-11-11, 12:38 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, definately no tucking of 18's, maybe even 19's without messing with preload. Thanks for the pics!
Old 11-11-11, 01:26 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

no problem. here is what megan said regarding my complaint:

Greetings,

I see nothing wrong with the installation. Regarding the "issue being well-known," it may be well-known on the forums, but if we do not hear about it, we would never know. Thank you for letting us know.

At this point, you need to start lowering the two locking perches up top. We can call this spring sag. For the general public, they might understand it as negative preload (especially when "spring sag" can be confused with the physical property of metal fatigue of the spring over time). If you think this is of concern, it is not. The shock travel available is dependent on wheel travel as well. If you were to remove the spring and reinstall the coil-over as well as the OEM wheel setup, you would find that the shock would start to contact the bumpstop at the same time the wheel/tire will run into a travel limitation.

If you lower the perches, yes you will lose shock travel, but you don't have that much travel to begin with anyway since it is limited by available wheel/tire travel. Lower that down and you will find the solution to your problem.

If you think the "negative preload" is bad, I run it like this on my own car that I daily drive and drive at the track. Race cars will have this very same characteristic because this is the ideal (and advanced) way of setting up suspension. On my car, the spring is loose by 30mm in the rear and 15mm in the front.

Our coil-overs are adjustable, not just for people who are trying to slam the car as low as possible, but also for people who appreciate suspension that works, where shock travel is maximized to prevent excessive bottoming out. In other words, I set my suspension up so that the tires scrub the fender slightly before the shock bottoms out. The tire scrubbing is the mere warning for me that I am close to bottoming out the suspension. If I were to raise it (which would be more ideal for track use, suspension geometry, etc) then the tires would not be hitting the frame.

We merely state to start with 0 preload to maintain full travel, because dropping the perches loses travel, but as long as the shock travel is optimally tuned to your setup (wheel/tire combinations will affect your available wheel travel), it does not cause detrimental effects.

Race cars end up using tender or helper springs if they are concerned with the spring not aligning properly if the suspension were to fully decompress, though they are not entirely necessary.
guess i'll start "drooping" the rear springs.. i hope this thread helps any potential megan ez buyers out. not exactly sure if the megan lp's are the same, but i've looked into it and it doesn't seem to have the same problem that the megan ez's have (came by a thread of a guy selling his lp's for the ls, saw the pics, and alot of the threads were covered), despite the fact that the settings are almost identical.

Last edited by xtremex626; 11-11-11 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-11-11, 03:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

lol they "didn't know"?! I've called them twice on it, mind you that was only 2 years ago when I got them....
Old 11-11-11, 03:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Glad they responded.
Looking forward to seeing the amount of adjustments needed to get you where you want it.

Curious, what size tire is that? Also noticed how much in balance weight is on that one rear.
Old 11-11-11, 05:29 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might need to droop the spring AND get the youzealand. Thats roughly 2" right there. Then you'll be tucking a little bit of tire, but not yet "slammed"

I know you got the tires free, but the tires look like rubber bands wrapped around those oem wheels lol. I'm sure its temporary tho
Old 11-11-11, 06:21 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

buy my d2s and dont blow ur shocks premmaturely!
Old 11-11-11, 06:24 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Originally Posted by RA40
Glad they responded.
Looking forward to seeing the amount of adjustments needed to get you where you want it.

Curious, what size tire is that? Also noticed how much in balance weight is on that one rear.
i will let you know! i'm already slammed, i scrape going down inclines and declines and into my own driveway. it only looks high since the tires are low pro's, which is why you see more gap between fender and tire. i'll probably drop it another inch.

the tire size is 215/35/18

Originally Posted by Vincent123
you might need to droop the spring AND get the youzealand. Thats roughly 2" right there. Then you'll be tucking a little bit of tire, but not yet "slammed"

I know you got the tires free, but the tires look like rubber bands wrapped around those oem wheels lol. I'm sure its temporary tho
i dont think im looking to slam with these wheels and tires. if i did slam it, i'd be literally laying frame. and thats impossible without the youzealand ss kit and a pretty good droop. i'll think about it. my goal is to just show no gap between fender and tire.

Last edited by xtremex626; 11-11-11 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Megan EZ's on UCF20/UCF21