LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91' LS 400 Recovering front seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 06:44 AM
tenchu
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

update on this?
Old 11-21-11, 09:57 AM
Woozy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Well the passenger seat is done and back in the car, and it looks GREAT! Im going to do the driver seat over the thanksgiving break from work. In the mean time Im trying to get the console armrest off, but I cant seem to figure out how to get the insert out under the are rest so I can get at the hinges to take it off.. Any Ideas?
Also I would like to start adding pics here but the insert button asks for a URL address.. an http: address, but all my pics are on my PC and there is no URL. Can anyone tell me how to inserty pics here. I want to do a DIY of replacing seat covers. Thanks
Old 11-21-11, 10:02 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

I answered the PM ya sent me but for everyone else that's wondering how to get the console out, here's the tutorial; http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/cupholder.html
Old 11-21-11, 10:50 AM
Woozy
Rookie

OKJ i just followed that link but unfortunately it does not address how to get the lid/arm rest off. When i pulled out the insert i found that the arms that connect to the lid go behind the duct work, and are somehow attached to it. I removed all the screws from the top of the duct work, hoping that the top of it would come off, but it does not. It looks like that duct work is a single piece and is routed under the console insert all the way to the underside of the dash. It appears that I would have to remove the entire console to get the duct work out. On the underside of the lid is a plastic piece with alot of little screws, all of wich i can get to, except the las 2 at the edge closest to where the hinges are. When I took all the others off i could pull that back and see the screws that attach the hinge arms to the lid. Unless I get some advice I guess im just going to have to break that part to get the lid off, im sure not going to remove the entire console out just to get the lid off.. HELP!!!
Old 11-21-11, 11:18 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

In the manual it just shows how to get the whole console out, doesn't say anything about just the lid. I was thinking about if ya took out the piece in the back of the console, (with the rear cig lighter) but I just took mine off and I can see the bottom part of the hinge but there's no way to squeeze them or raise them up to get them out. (like ya do on the glove box) The only thing I can see how would be the tiny screws you talked about. Why do you want to get the lid off?
Old 11-21-11, 12:36 PM
Woozy
Rookie

I wanted it off to recover it. When i got the front seats they included the cover for the center arm rest/console lid. Anyway i was able to pop the last 3 scres at the hinge edge of the plastic piece without breaking it.. Whew! I covered the arm rest and its all back together, now all thats left is to ger the drivers seat done and the LS will be as good as new. AGAIN I will do a DIY on this if someone can tell me how to insert pics, woth out having to have them at a web site with an http: URL like the insert requires. Why is that anyway, it should be like all other windows apps where a browse windows come up and u go to ur pic folder and load it in, whats with the http: thing?
Old 11-21-11, 01:08 PM
filthyLS4
Driver

you have to have them uploaded on a site already if you email them to me I will post them i really want to see how this turned out

Last edited by filthyLS4; 11-21-11 at 01:10 PM. Reason: fix
Old 11-21-11, 08:48 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Woozy
Update: Well the passenger seat is done and back in the car, and it looks GREAT! Im going to do the driver seat over the thanksgiving break from work. In the mean time Im trying to get the console armrest off, but I cant seem to figure out how to get the insert out under the are rest so I can get at the hinges to take it off.. Any Ideas?
Also I would like to start adding pics here but the insert button asks for a URL address.. an http: address, but all my pics are on my PC and there is no URL. Can anyone tell me how to inserty pics here. I want to do a DIY of replacing seat covers. Thanks
Go to advance options and see a manage attachments button to upload from your pc.
Old 11-22-11, 01:53 PM
aft1987
Driver School Candidate

I would really like to see pics too, the only tear I have is the passenger bottom seam which is only 3 inches long. I wonder if there is a conditioning technique to soften the leather cuz mine are a bit hard. Not to the point of cracking hard, just a lil stiff.(god that sounds so perverted)
Old 11-22-11, 02:25 PM
silentriot
Driver School Candidate

^^^Google leatherique.
They have products to deal with the restoration and repair of leather.
Old 11-22-11, 08:53 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by silentriot
^^^Google leatherique.
They have products to deal with the restoration and repair of leather.
I tried that stuff. Didn't really work much for me. Followed all the directions but these seats just have tight leather and with age just harden up.
Old 11-23-11, 12:26 PM
Woozy
Rookie

Jonny where do I find Advanced Options? Im doing the drivers seat and taking lots of pictures and I want to do a DIY, so let me know and I will do it.
Old 11-23-11, 06:07 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by Woozy
Jonny where do I find Advanced Options? Im doing the drivers seat and taking lots of pictures and I want to do a DIY, so let me know and I will do it.
lol just under the quote box a button says go advance.
Old 11-24-11, 04:20 AM
silentriot
Driver School Candidate

Then click the paperclip icon to upload the images.
If you're still struggling, email a member the pics, and they will post it up for you.
Old 11-25-11, 04:06 AM
Woozy
Rookie

I tried to post pics last night, but it did not seem to show in the thread.. ill try again.. here are the seats done.
Attached Thumbnails 91' LS 400 Recovering front seats-frontseatsdone.jpg  

Quick Reply: 91' LS 400 Recovering front seats