LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Battery or alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 08:17 PM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery or alternator?

So I have had the car for a few weeks now and have had no major issues with it. The other day, I pulled out the switch panel for the sunroof to clean the contacts. I was having issues with it closing. Anyways, I put the switch panel back in, test it out, everything is fine. My sunroof finally opens and closes normally. So I lock my car and head back into work. I come out afterwards to head home, and my car wont start, as if the battery was completely dead. So I had a buddy of mine jump the car and I made it home just fine. I pull in my driveway, shut it off, and out of curiosity, immediately try to restart it. Nothing, as if it was completely dead again. I was headed to my girlfriends house for the weekend, so I decided to leave the car and I took my bike. I came home Friday to feed my animals and decided to check on the car. I hop in, crank it and it started. It struggled a little bit, but it started. So I turned the car off and on for a bit and it seemed fine. So I took the car back out to her house and had no issues the rest of the weekend. It still seemed a little hesitant to crank at times, and others no hesitation at all. So today, I head back out to use my car, and I get nothing again. I kept turning the key and eventually it started cranking SUUUPER slow. That is where I am at right now.

I wasn't sure if it was an alternator issue, since the car stays running once it is cranked. If the alternator wasn't supplying juice and was running strictly off the battery, it would die after a while. Then I was thinking it could be the battery, but the odds of it being drained that quickly when I try to immediately re-start my car seems highly unlikely. Then again, it may be a different issue entirely. This is where I come to you guys for help. While searching, I did learn that the alternator can be damaged from the leaking of power steering fluid onto it. Does this sound like something that could be causing it? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-27-11, 08:33 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Have the battery and alt checked. When the ALT dies, you will get: brake, check engine and battery lights on the dash. If you have a good battery, it can run the car for ~15-30 minutes but this deep cycling isn't good for it. A dead-dying battery just goes and you get the slow starter, dim lights and or windows that go down slowly.

And definitely don't let PS fluid begin getting into the alt, a sure road to that fluid killing it. A PS pump rebuild isn't $$, I don't have my repair records handy, I think I paid about $120.
Old 11-27-11, 08:37 PM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Have the battery and alt checked. When the ALT dies, you will get: brake, check engine and battery lights on the dash. If you have a good battery, it can run the car for ~15-30 minutes but this deep cycling isn't good for it. A dead-dying battery just goes and you get the slow starter, dim lights and or windows that go down slowly.
Alright, Ill check them both out tomorrow. When this happens, I don't get any lights at all. My gf lives about an hour away and the car ran the whole way there with no issues. I'm guessing that means the batter could be starting to go? I'm always wondering if maybe I just have a loose connection somewhere, maybe a ground? I can start with having the battery and alternator checked and go from there I guess. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-27-11, 08:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Yup, check the battery cables.
Old 11-28-11, 12:17 PM
S30ZG
Pole Position

I had the same issue in my LS this week, turned out to be as simple as just tightening down the connections on the battery terminals.
Old 11-28-11, 05:19 PM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by S30ZG
I had the same issue in my LS this week, turned out to be as simple as just tightening down the connections on the battery terminals.
I actually just did that today while I was testing the battery. The ground was solid, but my positive cable was a little loose. Not real loose, but if you push on it firmly, it would move. I ran a battery test on it, and it said it was ok but weak. I had to jump start it again, but it is allowing the car to be turned off and started. Im going to let it sit for a while and see if it holds a charge. If not, Ill know either the battery is defective, or something is putting a drain on the battery.
Old 12-03-11, 12:44 PM
RadRob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help guys. I just went down and bought a new battery and all is well again.