LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

VIP material!! 1998 LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-12, 04:16 PM
lexury530
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've never seen the 97 LS400's even the coach edition with the woodgrain steering wheel and shift ****. almost all of the LS400's from 98 and up have the woodgrain steering wheel and shift know but there is some exceptions for the very early 98 models that have the year 97 in the door jam. i think they just simply didn't put the right one on when they gave it to us because the were being careless. woodgrain shift **** doesn't bother me that much because it's easy to replace.
Old 01-22-12, 04:17 PM
lexury530
Driver

I want to start with lowering and interior trims, the rims are the biggest chunk and the ones i'm looking at are around 1,500-3,400. my ideal rims would be work eurolines!!
Old 01-22-12, 04:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lexury530
I want to start with lowering and interior trims, the rims are the biggest chunk and the ones i'm looking at are around 1,500-3,400. my ideal rims would be work eurolines!!
keep an eye out for a used set, and use the stickies at the top of the forum for information on what suspension setup you want and what wheel fitment you're aiming for.
Old 01-22-12, 04:29 PM
lexury530
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
keep an eye out for a used set, and use the stickies at the top of the forum for information on what suspension setup you want and what wheel fitment you're aiming for.
thanks for the tips
Old 01-22-12, 05:05 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's got a UCF20, unless he's got air suspension...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...signation.html
I've always referred to the 98-00 models as UCF21's because typing out "UCF20 after m/c" is just too much of a hassle. I know it's technically wrong, just a bit easier. But I understand your hostility towards it. I always ground on people who would say "Emm Kay <Generation #>" in the VW world as opposed to Mark.

What would you prefer I call the facelifted model so you don't flame me in the future, sir?

i've never seen the 97 LS400's even the coach edition with the woodgrain steering wheel and shift ****. almost all of the LS400's from 98 and up have the woodgrain steering wheel and shift know but there is some exceptions for the very early 98 models that have the year 97 in the door jam. i think they just simply didn't put the right one on when they gave it to us because the were being careless. woodgrain shift **** doesn't bother me that much because it's easy to replace.
Coaches came with just a wooden shift ****, no wood grain wheel, would be nice...

You going with air or coilovers?
Old 01-22-12, 05:37 PM
lexury530
Driver

maybe lowering springs, i don't want to ruin the luxurious ride completely and i can't afford air runners.
Old 01-22-12, 05:55 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Other option is K-Sport... Haven't heard any issues except once from them. Doesn't cost a kidney for that kit.
Old 01-22-12, 06:14 PM
lexury530
Driver

Originally Posted by Shiryo
Other option is K-Sport... Haven't heard any issues except once from them. Doesn't cost a kidney for that kit.
i'll look into it
Old 01-22-12, 06:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

ksport is among the least popular LS400 coilovers of the options available. They have a history of premature damper failure as well as issues with the spring seats loosening/clunking. This was especially noted in the ES forum iirc and the Sylvia/240sx community.

for the '95-00 the most popular choices have been (in order)
-Megan LP/EZ coilovers
-BC Racing Coilovers
-Tein Cruising Master coilovers (less popular in the past few years though)

majority I would have to say are on Megan, and we love them
Old 01-22-12, 07:28 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Well said. +1 for BC's.
Old 01-22-12, 07:44 PM
bdan
Driver

Vip will leave you bankrupt.
Old 01-22-12, 07:55 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Yeah, I was referring to K-Sport Air Suspension. All I hear if positives; hell, a couple people running Air Runner and UAS have said they're switching to K-Sport because they could have the luxury stock feel or a very stiff track response.

I'm pretty much set on going K-Sport/AirForce myself this summer, then getting some 20x10/12 Ordens or Kranze LXZs by the winter. I was thinking of doing Meagan coils for a while, but decided that living in SoCal and having to trek out to LA to chill with Royal Flush on a usual basis requires a bit more clearance. With the K-Sport kit I can just roll static and raise up the suspension when I need to. Plus, at a couple hundred under $4G, can't really be beat. Unless you go custom or UAS.

Vip isn't as expensive as most people make it out to be...
Old 01-22-12, 08:25 PM
lexury530
Driver

Originally Posted by Shiryo
Yeah, I was referring to K-Sport Air Suspension. All I hear if positives; hell, a couple people running Air Runner and UAS have said they're switching to K-Sport because they could have the luxury stock feel or a very stiff track response.

I'm pretty much set on going K-Sport/AirForce myself this summer, then getting some 20x10/12 Ordens or Kranze LXZs by the winter. I was thinking of doing Meagan coils for a while, but decided that living in SoCal and having to trek out to LA to chill with Royal Flush on a usual basis requires a bit more clearance. With the K-Sport kit I can just roll static and raise up the suspension when I need to. Plus, at a couple hundred under $4G, can't really be beat. Unless you go custom or UAS.

Vip isn't as expensive as most people make it out to be...
i agree, you have to know what you're doing.
Old 01-22-12, 09:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

lets be clear, ksport air/airforce bag kit are not in any way "static". you are running a bag on coil, so it is basically stanard air suspension with adjustable brackets and damping.

closest thing to static with clearance is coilovers and a cup kit (like the Phantom cup kit by Platinum VIP).
Old 01-22-12, 09:31 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

lets be clear, ksport air/airforce bag kit are not in any way "static". you are running a bag on coil, so it is basically stanard air suspension with adjustable brackets and damping.

closest thing to static with clearance is coilovers and a cup kit (like the Phantom cup kit by Platinum VIP).
Interesting, the information out there on the K-Sports can be confusing. Some say you can run air in the suspension 24/7 while others argue that the air bags are only for clearing obstacles, otherwise you're on a coilover.

Your explanation seems to makes the most sense of them all proving a lot of naysayers that you do run air 24/7 in this kit, as there is no spring. Correct?

Quick Reply: VIP material!! 1998 LS