LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS430 vs. S500

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-02 | 02:09 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Yeah I know, I get picked on for my overkill common sense a lot

Now, I've never mistaken a S Class for a C Class, but I have mistaken a C class for an S Class. Lucky C class owners I guess.
Old 10-22-02 | 04:03 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Benz has a great styling but with Lexus, you can't mistake a LS for a GS, IS,ES,LX,GX,RX OR SC. Every model is very distinct from each other
Old 10-24-02 | 09:22 PM
caliz_finest
Driver School Candidate

today i went to the lxus dealership and bmw dealership to check out the Ls430 and 745i/Li

Well its not like i havent checked out the cars before but since Im looking for a new car that I can use as a daily driver ive been considering them... anyways back to s500 vs ls430

The cabin size on the LS (and 745) is barely bigger than a e class, the S class has by far the biggest interior compared to the bmw and lexus and i dunno why ppl keep saying lexus is more comfortable than benz cause i find the benz seats more supportive and comfortable and it has more leg and head room, the LS430 is well... BLAND, its boring as hell, the S class has faaaaar better styling on the exterior and interior and the 745 has a kinda ugly exterior but a nicely designed interior. The S500 and 745 both outperform the LS430, an s class outhandles a ls430 and a 745 or s class with abc or roll stablization both kill the ls430, lexus does not offer any roll stablization that i know of like what the bmw and mercedes have to offer and remember it all comes to opinion which is what i cant state enough, i just dont seem to like the LS430, no matter how times i look at it i just think its boring im not even considering it as a daily driver anymore, id rather get a 745 or an E500... well theres my rushed response, ill be back later

btw i do not care that the LS430 is cheaper than the S500, i dont like the LS430... im not gonna buy it cause its cheaper.
Old 10-24-02 | 09:24 PM
caliz_finest
Driver School Candidate

oh yeah... check out the 03 s500 http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...odelCode=S500V i should have waited those Drive-Dynamic seats would have come in extremely handy for my type of driving

Last edited by caliz_finest; 10-24-02 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-24-02 | 09:41 PM
LexFather

I REFUSE to buy a 80k+ vehicle that looks better but breaks down when it wants too. I thought the more expensive things were, the better quality it is to be. That we know, is not the case. Styling is not a strong point for the LS for us younger cats, but the interior is the best in ANY CAR IMO.
Old 10-24-02 | 09:48 PM
caliz_finest
Driver School Candidate

the lexus interior is not the best at all, it is smaller, the seats are cushy but have no real support, it has very bland design.... and people here SERIOUSLY exagurate how bad merc reliability is. S class is an extremely reliable car. and i do have other friends with s classes and they can tell you the same. yes lexus is more reliable but reliability is not an issue for me (unless its a really bad case) cause i buy my cars for entertainment more so than for going from point a to b (i have a car for that) and yeah i will not hesitate to admit ls430 is more reliable but s500 is alot more fun and it is very reliable itself

and the 745 also has a better interior than the lexus even tho S500 has better than both

Last edited by caliz_finest; 10-24-02 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-24-02 | 09:50 PM
caliz_finest
Driver School Candidate

i just noticed that you said ANY CAR!!?! ... you are talking to a bentley owner. and there is no way in hell i would call the ls430 interior the best out of "any car"
Old 10-24-02 | 10:40 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

caliz finest, my dad has an ls430 so i check this forum all the time. all i see you do is say how much better the mercedes and bentley and bmw are better than the ls.

*"IMO the S class is faaaaaar more beautiful than the LS430, and I think the LS430 has no presence on the road

I have never been impressed with the looks of a LS

I say the S class handles better so the S is better as far as performance is concerned

btw a designo s class is more comfortable than a LS430

a porsche or ferrari will never compare to the comfort of a S class sedan

i think the LS430 looks bland

S class has by far the biggest interior compared to the bmw and lexus and i dunno why ppl keep saying lexus is more comfortable than benz cause i find the benz seats more supportive and comfortable and it has more leg and head room, the LS430 is well... BLAND, its boring as hell, the S class has faaaaar better styling on the exterior and interior and the 745 has a kinda ugly exterior but a nicely designed interior

S500 and 745 both outperform the LS430

the lexus interior is not the best at all, it is smaller, the seats are cushy but have no real support, it has very bland design"*

when lexus offers an ls540 or ls600, then you can better compare it to a bigger engine bmw and mercedes for performance. why do you keeps asking us what we think, you know as us being lexus owners, that we are going to like the lexus a lot. all you do is talk about how bad it is....

if you like the mercedes so much, buy another

sorry for the bluntness

Last edited by EGainer; 10-24-02 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-24-02 | 11:12 PM
caliz_finest
Driver School Candidate

i know what ur sayin egainer but i just wanted opinions from the lexus owners, some lexus owners from this forum were at mbworld.org as well, they wanted to hear what mb ppl think. Look, the LS430 is a nice car but i do prefer the 745i/Li or a S Class mercedes. I have stated why. I was looking at Bmw and Lexus cause i wanted some more variety in my garage. Im still not sure what car i want tho, im all over different car forums getting opinions. If I go luxury Ill probably get a 745i, or i might just get a cheap car like a mustang cobra for racing and wait a couple years from now and get a lamborghini diablo (my dream car), just wanted to hear out different opinions
Old 10-24-02 | 11:49 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

alright, it's all cool. if you are saving for the lamborghini, then save for it. don't buy another car just yet. hell, i don't even like lamborghinis a whole lot. i think my dream garage... custom Lexus LS600 (have a 6 liter v8 or v12 dropped in, along with some other custom things), Bentley arnage red label (or azure red label), Mercedes Benz SL600 AMG (custom made), BMW M5 Dinan upgrades, Ruf 911 Turbo, Ferrari 575M, The new loaded Range Rover, and maybe, just maybe an escalade... then i would have to have my little racing cars like a modded IS300, toyota supra, and WRX.... oh yeah, and for my fast car (even though i don't like american cars too much) the lingenfelter twin turbo corvette (0-60 in 1.97 seconds)

i know the dream garage really had nothing to do with anything except that you said you were trying to give your garage some variety, but there is nothing wrong with an all mercedes garage (and a bentley). oh yeah, what kind of bentley is it?

Last edited by EGainer; 10-25-02 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-25-02 | 12:45 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

I was reading somthing about Lexus and how it won an award for being the best car over 40G's, personally I think it's better than any other car i've seen inside, more comfortable than any other car, it is a Luxury car and the seats are suppose to be cushioned, so it's "Comfortable" what would u rather lounge in? a Wooden chair to watch TV? or a big "Comfortable" Couch, lol. Another thing, u said that the bently was better inside then a Lexus? I read in that same article that said the LS430 was the best car over 40 grand, they said that the Bently had I think it was 63 exposed screw heads and somthing else, I forgot what it was, but anyways the Lexus had ZERO so the fit and finish of lexus was by far better then the bently.

ShOwGS
Old 10-25-02 | 02:38 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I've never found another car's interior as appealing as a Lexus. The S Class interior looks pretty but the seats are hard, the plastic is hard and cheap feeling and the leather is vinylish rough. The BMW 7 series is just odd, the interior is nice but its way too complicated, I've heard of people with them in the shop repeatedly already, not gonna be my $75k. The LS430 has won all the reviews for interior quality and comfort, and I agree. Its been the "most appealing luxury sedan" since 2001 when it came out, not the S Class. In fact, I can't remember the S Class winning any industry awards... I found the ES interior nicer than the interior on the S Class. German hard and firm's just not my thing.

Its obvious that you dislike the Lexus, and thats fine, but I do wonder why you continue posting on a Lexus enthusiast board when its painfully clear you feel nothing for our product. All you're going to meet is resistance here.

I suggest you go contribute to www.mbworld.org. They all share your dislike for Lexus.

Again, I'm not sayin you're wrong for your dislike of our cars, you can have whatever opinion you want, I just don't understand why if you don't like the Lexus vehicles you would want to be a member of this board?!?
Old 10-25-02 | 03:18 PM
caliz_finest
Driver School Candidate

alright boys and girls, heres a rushed reply since im kinda in a hurry. The lexus is nice and very comfortable but for some reason it doesent appeal to me. I owned a bentley brooklands and a green label arnage. sit in a bentley and youll forget lexus exists... bentley has a better interior than any of the cars we have been discussing, im not even gonna talk about the bentley interior vs lexus interior thing, there is no comparison, bentley wins hands down but u have to sit in one for yourself. SW03ES i dont think the s class seats are hard at all. but it depends did u sit in a 430 with regular leather or did u sit in a 500 or 600 with nappa leather? have u ever sat in one with a designo interior? absolutley amazing. i do go to mbworld regularly, it was some lexus guys who came to our forum that inspired me to come here. so anyways, their just cars... buy the one you like... im not gonna argue

Last edited by caliz_finest; 10-25-02 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-25-02 | 06:08 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I have sat in the designo interior and the S500 and the S600, they are nice, but they also cost over $100,000 and in my opinion aren't any nicer than the interior of an Ultra Luxury LS. Also, why shouldn't the S430 seats be nicer than the LS430's seats? Its a more expensive car base! The base leather is TERRIBLE. I also have sat and ridden in the Bentleys and Rolls Royces, yeah they're nice, but I would never spend that kind of money on a car, I think its stupid. Plus, they aren't built with the same percision. I think they call it "character". $250k is a beach condo or something, not a car.

To each his own I guess. I guess we're arguing from different stratas of life here. I get the gist that you're independantly wealthy, I however am not, I work for my living. This doesn't mean I don't like nice things, I'm getting ready to buy a Lexus, I wear nice clothes, I have a nice place to live, I eat good food, but I don't waste money. I'm not going to waste my hard earned income buy purchasing an overpriced hood ornament that really in this industry has nothing behind it but image to justify its price. They don't even treat their customers as well as Lexus does, for almost HALF the price! I'm going to save the difference so one of these days it'll work for me instead of me working for it. Yours already seems to work for you, and thats great all the power to ya, but the fact of the matter is, if you look at the average incomes of the people who drive these cars (LS $140k S Class $170k I think), these people still work for their livings. I suppose thats why the LS sells better.

Last edited by SW03ES; 10-25-02 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-25-02 | 07:29 PM
LexFather

you are talking to a bentley owner. and there is no way in hell i would call the ls430 interior the best out of "any car"
Wish I gave 2 focks but I don't. The new Bentley has 48 exposed screws on it's exterior. It was not even considered as the finest built automobile by (damn I forgot the survey).

Key word is IMO . I said IMO. I am not to fond of sitting inside a tree trunk. I KNOW the Bentley has more beautiful wood, and leather but it just now got NAV and for a 300k car, well it sucks. For 300k I EXPECT the best of EVERYTHING, for instance the new MAYBACH will mix PURE luxury with PURE technology. It won't be missing one or the other.

So IMO, the LS430 has the finest interior. IMO. I am not saying it is so much better.

And the new 745's interior looks like a freaking starbucks. It is huge but it leaves much to be desired in aestetics.

The S 500 is has been HATED by Mercedes die-hards as of being of poor quality. It is UNIVERSALLY recognized the older Benz's were just built like a SHerman Tank. The new ones like a Tow truck.

BTW Bentley vs a Lexus. One is a HAND BUILT 300k car made the way you want, the other is 70k LOADED and mass produced on an assembly line. U gotta be kidding us.

Quick Reply: LS430 vs. S500