LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Mitsubishi TB190M timing belt, BANDO drive belt, AISIN TKT-010

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 11:22 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

to answer the OP, yes those parts are same as OEM. i know b/c i did my TB/WP job a few months ago with parts i got of ebay at a fraction of the cost from the dealer. i don't skimp on parts and after LOTS of research i decided to go with the ebay parts for the following reasons:

-mitsuboshi is exactly the same as OEM, the timing marks line up perfectly
-accessory belt is the same as well, mine was made by mitsuboshi though
-OEM water pump is made by Aisin, same as on the ebay package, reason people think there is a slight difference between the original and this one is b/c this one has it's own metal/rubber gasket, where as the OE one was put in place using gasket sealer (FIPG) by the factory. same part, casted very nicely, fits like a glove, and has a better gasket design (no need for FIPG)
-idlers/tensioner is NOT the same, but still made in japan

the rest of the parts i got from the dealer, such as the caps/rotors, tensioner, and coolant. i got my spark plugs from autozone which is the exact same as the dealer as well, NGK iridiums.

my thread is here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...n-ls400-2.html
Old 02-13-12, 04:02 PM
sethjon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tenchu
They may "fit" the same as OEM, but 9 times out of 10, cheap aftermarket parts for an LS are no where close to OEM quality. I made the mistake of buying a transmission filter of eBay for my 1LS, now my trans is on its way out the door.
You are completely incorrect. A trans filter will not blow the the tranny. Perhaps you had the old one and it way over due for a change. As far as other parts go, many aren't worth spit but most are if you buy them from a reputable place and not try to save money at Walmart or Sears.
Old 02-13-12, 04:06 PM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by moat
Is the Mitsubishi TB190M timing belt exactly the same as OEM timing belt # 13568-59045 ?

Is the BANDO drive belt # 6PK-2245 exactly the same as OEM drive belt # 90916-02586 ?

The reason I ask is because I see these items on eBay, the sellers say they are exactly the same as OEM. They are much cheaper than OEM. Can we trust these things?

Same with KOYO idlers, are they exactly the same as OEM?

Same with AISIN water pump, are they exactly the same as OEM?

If you search on eBay, or on the web, for "AISIN TKT-010" you will see these kits. Are they really the same as OEM?
The Aisin pump is the same as OEM. They make the Lexus pumps. Not sure of Bando, Mitsubishi makes good timing belts. Check out ******************.com or Rock Auto and you will get good parts. OEM parts are good but way over priced.
Old 02-13-12, 05:16 PM
jerryparks
Driver

Default OEM vs ?? parts

I think many non OEM parts are just as good as OEM. However, I would be concerned about counterfeits from China and elsewhere. With parts as important as timing belts and related parts, including the water pump, I would prefer to stick with OEM parts bought from a dealer or other good source. The loss of a poor quality timing belt would cost far far more in repair costs than the 10-20% savings obtained from buying questionable parts, not to mention the dangers that can occur from an untimely breakdown in a bad place. As for Autozone, I have bought many replacement parts from them and have not had any problems and I like their life time warrenty on most items and the free use of specialty tools to do a job.
Old 02-14-12, 09:54 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

buy from www.rockauto.com

Cheaper than eBay, and they only have Legit parts - no chance of them being fakes, i get all my stuff from there. Just got a kit last month for an RX TB, with misc. other stuffs
Old 02-14-12, 01:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
buy from www.rockauto.com

Cheaper than eBay, and they only have Legit parts - no chance of them being fakes, i get all my stuff from there. Just got a kit last month for an RX TB, with misc. other stuffs
uhh they carry plenty of cheap crappy chinese-made parts...
you still need to pay attn. to what you're buying.
Old 02-14-12, 02:22 PM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up AISIN Timing Belt Kit

I just installed an AISIN TKT001 kit , complete with new water pump, Mitsuboshi belt, Koyo idler and tensioner pulleys and all gaskets, on my '99. The parts are identical to OEM. In fact the water pump even had the same casting markings as the original equipment, but neither pump had a manufacturer name on it. The old idler and tensioner used bearings marked Koyo. I got the kit from RockAuto for $159, and Beck-Arnley motor mounts for $66 ea. And, yes, they are the same identical hydraulic mounts as OEM. I am confident that these are of the highest quality, at less than half what the dealers charge, even with discount.

I searched around quite awhile to determine if these were OEM quality before I decided on these parts. Sure enough, they are. But, it does pay to be careful, especially with things that are so labor intensive, or critical.

Steve
Old 02-14-12, 11:17 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Same with KOYO idlers, are they exactly the same as OEM?
Same with AISIN water pump, are they exactly the same as OEM?
The original timing belt on the LS400 is a Mitsuboshi (not to be confused with the huge company Mitsubishi) - Mitsuboshi is the largest maker of timing belts in Japan

The original idlers are Koyo on the LS400 - Koyo is the 2nd or 3rd largest bearing maker in Japan

As far as Aisin - the original water pump on ALL LS400's is an Aisin, as is the legendary transmission and many other parts of the car. - This particular Toyota partner probably builds the second highest number of parts on your Lexus after Nippon Denso

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 02-14-12 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 02:54 AM
moat
Driver

Default Mitsuboshi and Mitsubishi are two different companies

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
The original timing belt on the LS400 is a Mitsuboshi (not to be confused with the huge company Mitsubishi) - Mitsuboshi is the largest maker of timing belts in Japan

The original idlers are Koyo on the LS400 - Koyo is the 2nd or 3rd largest bearing maker in Japan

As far as Aisin - the original water pump on ALL LS400's is an Aisin, as is the legendary transmission and many other parts of the car. - This particular Toyota partner probably builds the second highest number of parts on your Lexus after Nippon Denso
Thank you for this info. Some of these names we have seen of course. I had no idea there was a timing belt company called Mitsuboshi and that it's not the same as the giant Mitsubishi.

Here is the timing belt company's English web site: http://www.mitsuboshi.com/

I recall seeing letterings on one of my drive belt where they printed both Mitsuboshi or Mitsubishi (and Toyota) on it. I'll go to my garage later to see if it's Mitsuboshi or Mitsubishi on that drive belt.

What about BANDO drive belts? What's BANDO's reputation when it comes to drive belts in Lexus or Toyota vehicles?
Old 02-15-12, 01:32 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
uhh they carry plenty of cheap crappy chinese-made parts...
you still need to pay attn. to what you're buying.
Oh, they carry white box parts? Didn't think so.

Where they're made is irrelevant since all the worlds **** comes from China anyways. I feel more comfortable buying a Beck/Arnley pulley [made in China, but has a good brand association] vs. a cheap Napa special at the same or more cost.
Old 02-15-12, 06:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

I recall seeing letterings on one of my drive belt where they printed both Mitsuboshi or Mitsubishi (and Toyota) on it. I'll go to my garage later to see if it's Mitsuboshi or Mitsubishi on that drive belt.
Mitsuboshi (no relation to the more famous huge corporation Mitsubishi)

What about BANDO drive belts? What's BANDO's reputation when it comes to drive belts in Lexus or Toyota vehicles?
another Toyota OEM and equally awesome!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 10-16-13 at 09:23 AM.