LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Took a trip to Torque master offices - had adjustment made

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-02, 11:21 PM
Lvangundy

Default Took a trip to Torque master offices - had adjustment made

ChuH with the GS430 was having similar problems (like the shaking and stuttering engine) so he got in contact with TM directly and they wanted to know if he could make it down to the office. Only problem - he's in Guam! LOL.. He got in contact with me and I made a trip down there to see what they could do about our problem...

First thing, the people there are nice, but definetly from a different generation ;-) We pulled the plugs out and had them tested and everything on the plug was good. The TM head honcho suggested we shorten the gap on the plug (specifically 16V) becuase he thought that the 20V it was producing was too high. Now, I don't doubt his mechanical ability, he did create the plugs afterall, but I know he was talking on the phone when he suggested to the tech to lower the gap. I dunno, just something I noticed, maybe he didn't give it a full thought. Oh well, some adjustment is better than none.

RESULT? =
Didn't change anything! I have yet to e-mail them back, but the stuttering around 1K RPM and the burstiness of the RPM on WOT still remains. Next is throttle body cleaning, or fuel injector/pump inspection. A faulty MAF meter is still a concern also.
Old 10-25-02, 12:10 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Lvangundy,

Thanks for dropping by TM. Sent you a PM.

Chu...
Old 10-25-02, 09:23 PM
Lvangundy

classic idle problem..

Every chance I get I try to pinpoint the problem with the 'skipping' or 'mis-firing' idle I'm having.

My latest discovery (trying to pinpoint optimal RPM point for stutter) is that at 800 RPM - 900- 1000 RPM is where the jolt is most noticeable. This is also where I get the most 'wobbling' feeling throughout the whole car. The car feels like it's RPM's are dropping and it tries to correct itself. Without me pressing the gas pedal any further, the RPMs will go up about 50-100 RPM.

Since I had the plugs checked yesterday I'm assuming that ruling out the plugs, wires and caps and rotors makes sense. So that leaves me to the fuel injectors/fuel pump/ or MAF. (I know I've mentioned this before)

The great tech over at the Lexus shop on Arteisa is going to order a new MAF and let me test it out next week for free! WHOO HOOOO ;-) I'd really love to get a video camera and film the RPM's for you guys..it's soo strange.

OH BTW- I took car back to shop that did the tokico install..once again, they denied that it was the strut itself. ONe thing I noticed when looking at all this, the rear spring where it sits on the strut has a rubber bushing on it, and the front doesn't. I told the guy I noticed this and he said he never saw one on the front so he didn't put one in. They were ready to reseat (why I dunno?) the strut and spring, but magically my wheel lock has disappeared out of my trunk! BLAH

Last edited by Lvangundy; 10-25-02 at 09:26 PM.