LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

UFC10 coilovers for performance and comfort

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 09:36 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the car will likely bottom out and be wallowy and boatlike, and be grossly overdamped unless BC valved to spec.

you won't gain any extra travel by doing that anyways, as travel isnt spring limited, it's damper limited (stroke).

if you don't want to lower more than an inch or two, and want nothing but comfort, the old king Tein CS still reigns. if you're lowering much more though (2.5"+ iirc) you'll see pretty bad ride quality and it simply will not go as low as the megans or BC. Tein CM:CS is 6kg/mm front and 4kg/mm rear from the factory, and is a single tap coilover.

having springs is useless unless BC will revalve the body for him, but afaik they only sell complete damper assys, no revalving service.

and as mentioned, Tein CS (which don't go as low due to their single-adjustment design) have been ~6/4 for the better part of a decade+.
I'm not sure why people think I am giving out bad information when I post information.....

On a BC kit the valving is good for a 2k swing. Meaning if you get a standard 12k/8k kit you can switch out the springs to either 10k/6k or 14k/10k, and the valving will still be good for those rates.

Higher or lower than that and the dampers would need to be revavled.

If you order a BC kit through us and it needs to be revalved then we have it done at no charge.

Also, if you need to buy damper valved for a heavier spring rate down the road that is also available.
Old 03-15-12, 12:36 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Thanks for posting that, clears up some vagueness regarding how much spring will work with that particular coil setup.
Old 03-15-12, 01:40 PM
awdandrwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am OCD about suspension setups -- it's the only thing I'm OCD about. I will give you guys a good review once they are on the car, I am very subjective and have stuff to compare to.

Stan
Old 04-16-12, 09:14 AM
awdandrwd
Driver

So, I finally got my BCs and installed them over the weekend.

I got them with the rubber-mounted tophats. I only snapped a couple of pictures of the front ones:

I set the preload to 5mm and set the height fairly close to where it was, maybe 1/2" to an inch lower. The rears are set to 12 clicks from full soft and I bumped the fronts to 20 clicks from full soft, that feels better than it was when it was set to 12 initially. I think the ride is very nice, it is more firm and alot more controlled, but isn't uncomfortable at all. I was worried about 12K being too much rate, but it actually works geat. If you press down on front bumper, there is still a good amount of up/down travel, it isn't rock-hard like I was afraid it would be. For comfort, if anything, rear springs being a bit softer would help. I initially installed the fronts and left rears stock and comfort was very much the same, now that the rears are on you can feel having less travel in the rear, but it isn't rough, just more controlled.

Initial impressions are very positive in regards to quality and comfort of the setup. Handling is obviously alot better. Great product for the money so far, big thanks to CircuitMS for the help and support.

Couple of quick pictures from this morning. The car has a full tank of gas.

Stan
Old 04-16-12, 12:35 PM
awdandrwd
Driver

Parked behind a stock UCF10 at lunch:

Changed the fronts from 20 clicks from soft to 7 clicks from soft -- it is more comfortable, feels nice. The adjustment **** changes are very noticeable, the dampers are working properly.

Stan
Old 04-16-12, 01:38 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

is it hard to adjust the dampening in the rears, with the rear set installed, or is there an extension BC provides?
Old 04-16-12, 01:51 PM
awdandrwd
Driver

I didn't get the extensions. Those would make sense if you routed them to the trunk, but in UCF10 I'm not sure that the case -- the adjusters are right behind the back seat, under the liner. I will probably end up drilling small holes in the liner, maybe 1 1/2" in diameter, and finding some plugs to cover them. Otherwise, I'd have to take out the back seat to adjust the damping, which is a royal PITA.

Anyone else with LS1 have a solution/pics of adjuster access?

Stan
Old 04-16-12, 04:41 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered my bc's from circuit with 16k 12k springs. Ill be just putting small holes in the liner.
Old 04-16-12, 07:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by awdandrwd
I didn't get the extensions. Those would make sense if you routed them to the trunk, but in UCF10 I'm not sure that the case -- the adjusters are right behind the back seat, under the liner. I will probably end up drilling small holes in the liner, maybe 1 1/2" in diameter, and finding some plugs to cover them. Otherwise, I'd have to take out the back seat to adjust the damping, which is a royal PITA.

Anyone else with LS1 have a solution/pics of adjuster access?

Stan
you don't need to drill the liner. just take a sharp exacto knife and make a small X cut over where the adjuster is, disassemble the extension, push it through, reassemble, and its in clean as a whistle.

if you're really confused then in a couple days i can snap a pic of the adjusters i have on my megans.
Old 04-19-12, 03:14 PM
awdandrwd
Driver

Thanks for the tip on adjusters. I took the seat out and reset the rears to 7 turns from soft. I'll just leave it like that and not bother with adjusters, rear rides fine. Front is at 10 clicks from soft right now.

Couple of hundred miles on the new setup and no regrets at all -- these are sweet. The woman did not notice and hasn't complained. To me the car is tons more fun to drive, I prefer the more controlled ride to the super-boaty stockish ride (though GR2s helped a bit). I think the car rides very nicely and civil and I still am able to attack our crappy pothole'ed roads without having to slow down. The suspension really does soak up the bumps and even large holes, it does not bottom out at all. Only thing now is it's more noticeable that I need all sorts of bushings everywhere as the car does have 194K on it. I must mention that handling is just awesome, I need to take the car out for a really long twisties run to really appreciate it. This damn boat RAILS.

It's tempting to lower the thing a bit more, but I haven't scraped anything yet and I'd prefer to keep it that way. Less attention is nice, too. I freakin love this car.

Stan

Last edited by awdandrwd; 04-19-12 at 03:17 PM.