LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Proud new 90' ls owner!! Advice welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 01:23 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Also for reference, go to sewelllexus.com in Texas, Dallas or fortworh and you will get a big discount if you sign up with them like 30% off oem parts, just use your screen name to set up an account and your all set.
Old 03-25-12, 02:28 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I will check out Sewell Next time I need oem parts !

I changed the bearing in the idler pulley yesterday because after a long day of driving all over he island it started to squeak a bit intermittently. No big deal and gave me a chance to give the belt and the rest of the pulleys a good look over. The only thing I would add to the forum is that my bolt was not reverse thread. I read in another thread after a search that it was. It was easy to feel so no harm done just something to watch out for.

Since I was going to the autoparts for the bearing I picked up and changed the CTS on the engine. my temp needle stays on the line just above half way so I figured maybe it was because of a 20yr old sensor but it's still the same but it was only 20$ and couldn't hurt. Taking all that plastic off was a major PIA but something to get used to. The timing belt looks relatively new to me and 1 or 2 mounting bolts for the cover were missing so I'm hopeing it was already done.

Still have some slight suspension noises so I'm going to go over everything again more closely. I haven't even given the rear a good once over yet. Should probably change the rear fluid while I'm back there. What do you guys recommend as far as rear fluid? Should i go to Toyota or just get some synthetic gear oil that fits the requirements?(havent looked to see what the manual says yet).

Anyway I love the car and so does my girl (she drives it mostly). It's real close to being my favorite car that I have owned. It will take some time before anything knocks my old 95' 540i off the pedestal.
Old 01-04-14, 12:00 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... So.. Not so new anymore but I wanted to document my maintenance somewhere so I figured this is a good place.
The car now has ~144k.
I have replaced the air suspension with Megan's about 7k miles ago.
Replaced alternator with OEM denso about 10k ago. Plugs, wires and pcv done with alt. noticed the BVSV was broken somewhere in there and replaced that also.
Just replaced caps, rotors, thermostat all OEM. New Brembo rotors and Akebono premium pads up front. Have new Tbelt, water pump and associated parts along with trany filter and gasket (FYI the wix filter lists as coming without the gasket but its in there. Now I have an extra gasket lol). Did pretty good on prices, think I payed ~350 for everything I recently did and the parts waiting to go in. Will also be changing the rear fluid very soon.

I noticed at 140k that the inside boot was torn on the driver side axle so I will be replacing that soon also. The 02 sensors are 20+ years old so I should probably go ahead and replace them also.

As a long term update the car has been great. Wife is very happy and the car hasn't ever given me a major problem other than the alt. it has made several trips from VA to NY without issue. Great car overall and with a better exhaust and some Tein flex coilovers and some exhaust work I think it could be a very fun car to drive. Thinking about buying an old merc in a few months and if the wife likes it the LS will become my project car so lets hope.