LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Special Edition 2005 360HP LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-02, 03:09 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Rob L
Why does it matter?

The attitude of us North AMericans concerning "more power" is sickening.

Do you people realize the amount of oil in the world is not unlimited? It's been said the amount of oil left will run out in the next 25-50 years...having cars with 450+hp that get 15 or so mpg does not help that out.

And to the person that says having a carw ith a V12 or whatever odd HP is a symbol that "you've made it"....give me a break. Owning an LS430 is a pretty good symbol that you've got some bucks...and even if it wasn't, so what? I didn't know the whole point of life was to try and show off your wealth via a car.

BTW, I know some people who are easily worth multi millions that drive cars like Honda Accrods. A car means pretty much jack with regard to your financial situation.....except of course you feel the need to try and show your wealth off, which IMO, is stupid.
Sickening???

So... Rob... please tell us WHAT posessed you to buy a Lexus???

I am unsure about your motives for... well... anything... but I can assure you:

1) If greedy, power hungry, selfish Americans stopped buying at the rate they are buying, the entire worlds economy would crash. The end result is massive suffering and LESS of everything to go around...

2) The rate of fossil fuel consumption is NOT dependent on the extremely small segment of the population that chooses ultra-high performance automobiles. I would place the impact at well WELL below 1/100th of a percent.

The advent of the automobile and its subsequent technology has such wide ranging impact to even attempt to cover the issues here would be hopeless. Have there been negative impacts? Of course. Are they outweighed by the benefits? No question. In the coming years, as the finite supply of naturally occuring fossil fuels is further depleted, other forms of energy will be developed and implemented and the KEY driving force will be the automobile.

Of course we could adopt the wishes of some liberals that would have the entire country driving 20hp electric "cough" "gag" (I hate to even use the term).... cars

Of course that would not solve the need to transport freight. The result would be families, women and children on the road in fragile lightweight boxes competing for road space with trucks transporting tons of whatever... :eek: not comforting...

Make mine 600hp thank you

Last edited by JBrady; 11-11-02 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-13-02, 05:58 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Although HP was high on my priority when I purchased my LS430 (came from S2000's, SUpra TT's, etc.), it was no the absolute reason I chose a Lexus over a comparable 540i (which had a 6-speed option), a 745i, an E430, or an S430....It was the amenities (no leather optioned seating here), the quality (first class), the features (intuitive and useful), the reliability (second to none), the prestige (no teutonic snobbery), and the price (VALUE = . Sure, I'd be nice if they stuff in more hp, who wouldn't want that...but at the cost of reliability, serenity, or price...heck I'd go buy a German brand then. Besides, I have a little 370lb 160hp 2 wheeler if I want to go fast.....
Old 11-14-02, 07:28 PM
jtparkes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400HP??

400 hp?? Its a car, its not supposed to be able to achieve a low-earth orbit...

People for whom horspower and thrust are all-important will buy a Corvette. Sacrificing silence, reliability and price for HP seems silly...
Old 11-14-02, 09:28 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus looks like they're outclassed though with a lower number, whether we feel its needed or not. Think of the utter shock when they didn't raise the hp on the 02 ES.
Old 11-14-02, 10:48 PM
henrynguyen
Driver

Cool lexuries not performance

Lexus is for lexury not performance. If you want killer, buy yourself an IS and put 20,000.00 grand into performance parts and labor. Total of 50,000.00 performance IS. It will smoke any cars on the road over 100,000.00 dollars such as ferrari, mecerdes, etc. So what your guys think about IS? Slower or faster than other cars? Maybe your guys should wait for a new Supra/Lexus coming out.

Last edited by henrynguyen; 11-14-02 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-15-02, 02:29 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Yeah, but a balance needs to be struck.
Old 12-07-02, 10:39 PM
Maeve
Instructor

Lightbulb Let it be

Guys guys......wait.

There's always a reason for Lexus not to get into the HP WAR with Benz, Beemer, Jags or Audi.

I believe the Lexus' engineers are studying the competitors how far they could go with the technology.

BTW, in my opinion Lexus over better variety of options and features with better price. Don't you think so?

Let's see how long these engineer will wait :eek:

Dom
Old 12-07-02, 11:11 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Okay the majority of people are saying lexus should stay with their image of just a luxury car maker. That they shouldn't try to "up" the horsepower. That is backwards in what they where doing in 1998 when the brought out the GS400. You remember "Something Wicked Comes This Way" We all crave more horsepower and we all will crave it even more in a few years when Lexus is the only car with less than 400hp.
I love Lexus and their cars and I do not plan on switching( but if I had the money I would take a 2003 CL600 with it's twin turbo V12 and maintenance problems anyday over a Lexus)
Staying competive is what you have to do to stay afloat in buisness.
I really would love to see a inhouse tuner for Lexus. Then it would be the best of both worlds. Reliable stock luxury cars for regular people and tuned out fast performance luxury cars for the rest of us.
Old 12-08-02, 11:19 PM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

Hey

listen guys i would like to see more HP across the whole Lexus range but Lexus was made of Luxury and style, and the LS430 even more so! the LS430 was made to be extremely comfortable and prestigeous, not ment 600HP animal to be taken to the strip and beaten the hell out of. How many 745i(Li), S Class and Audi(A8 and S8) do you see that the drag stip or at the local road course?

Lexus made the GS430 for people who want more performance but still want the luxury and the next gen one will probably suprise people again with its performance.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-09-02, 06:35 AM
Maeve
Instructor

Cool

AMMMMEEEEEENNNNNNN.........
Old 12-09-02, 03:52 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

But is LUXURY also about satisfying wants beyond what is necessary?

No body really needs a Mark Levinsion sound system in their car, but it is one of Lexus' best known features and having it ranked as the # one factory car sound system in the world surely enhance Lexus' image and prestige as a luxury brand.

So while I agree that the vast majority of premium luxury car owners will never come close to pushing their cars to their limits and a 500 to 600+ HP/torque engine is really unnecessary for any practical purpose, it is necessary to develop one to project an image that Lexus is an equal in prestige to any other luxury brand.

To have a limited edition supercharged/turbo performance version by an inhouse tuner available to those willing to pay for it for the exclusivity is an idea that I would support. It should also be available for all Lexus models, like the M's and AMG's.
Old 12-09-02, 04:15 PM
harris10101

if u all think that lexus is going to lose market,i dont believe so, because it is selling fine as it is, but more power definately would not hurt Toyota and Lexus

Take a look at this, i really think this is all true

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/art...ticle_84.shtml
Old 12-09-02, 04:22 PM
harris10101

[QUOTE]Originally posted by APLUS
[B] but if I had the money I would take a 2003 CL600 with it's twin turbo V12 and maintenance problems anyday over a Lexus

exactly, the maintenance problems is why lexus doesnt fully tune their engines. it was built to be quiet, reliable, and smooth, not to be a loud, gas guzzling power house. It depends what the car is made for, eg a Ford Astrovan with a TT V12 is not worth it, but a 2 seater Mercedes is,a luxury isnt meant to be a race car, and vice versa, u have to look at lexus' goal with the company
Old 12-09-02, 04:25 PM
harris10101

btw, i think if lexus did tune the 3uz-fe, it would be a beast
Old 12-09-02, 06:26 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Let's see...

Infiniti has 340hp available now
Jaguar 390hp available now
BMW has 400hp available now
Bentley 400hp available now
Audi has 450hp twin turbo available in '03
Mercedes has 493hp SC V8 available now with a TT V12 in '03

Lexus 290hp... and you guys DON'T see a problem???

Currently, Lexus, BMW and Mercedes are mentioned (by all but BMW and Mercedes owners) in one breath.

Actually, 200hp is MORE than sufficient for all the NO arguments above... for those I say, no problem, buy whatever you wish.

Lexus NEEDS a tuner division. Granted, 290hp is sufficient, even excessive for many Lexus customers but that is NOT the argument. Staying in the same CLASS is the point. Don't believe me... when was the last SERIOUS comparison between the Acura RL and ANY upper class luxury cars??? V6 and FWD... what a shame, Acura was once the King of Japanese luxury... Let's hope the lesson is not lost on Lexus.

Quick Reply: Special Edition 2005 360HP LS430