LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Special Edition 2005 360HP LS430

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-02, 08:16 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

lol! sorry bout that!

well i love lexus, its hard to give up on lexus, even more when your first car is going to be a lex!

i love the LS400. Its amazing, soo much power, its just i'd hate to see Lexus lose it's reputation for building nice reliable cars just because they didn't either expand their line up or refuse to pump more power.
Old 12-29-02, 09:30 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to fly the BS flag until I see something official from Lexus. In case some of haven't noticed, they're one of the most tight-lipped companies on earth.

A limited edition, high-performance model would be something revolutionary for them. Plus, Lexus would look like a major jackass if they released a HP model for a couple of years and said, "OK, you've had your performance fix. The end," and then took it out of production.

It's just not it Lexus's nature to do something like this. They are an ultra-efficient and coldly calculated Japanese-backed company. They're not going to spend $$$ and time to R&D an engine just for a limited production run, just to say they did it. Those days were long gone, decades ago, when the 2000GT went out of production.
Old 12-30-02, 04:51 AM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex
I'm going to fly the BS flag until I see something official from Lexus. In case some of haven't noticed, they're one of the most tight-lipped companies on earth.

A limited edition, high-performance model would be something revolutionary for them. Plus, Lexus would look like a major jackass if they released a HP model for a couple of years and said, "OK, you've had your performance fix. The end," and then took it out of production.

It's just not it Lexus's nature to do something like this. They are an ultra-efficient and coldly calculated Japanese-backed company. They're not going to spend $$$ and time to R&D an engine just for a limited production run, just to say they did it. Those days were long gone, decades ago, when the 2000GT went out of production.
It's a good point. However, Acura RL died for this reason. Probably, LS will survive with the current engine. However, GS and IS should get better engine, otherwise Honda and Nissan will dominate in this niche.
Old 12-30-02, 01:55 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

So whats the majority view on this forum? Lexus SHOULD have a lmited preformance car or not? Or should they release a higher model? SOO confused!
Old 12-30-02, 02:08 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by vraa
So whats the majority view on this forum? Lexus SHOULD have a lmited preformance car or not? Or should they release a higher model? SOO confused!
I dont know but so far this is a very opinion based issue and there really would be no clear cut answer. You just cant please everyone so some people will want more power and some will prefer a practicle down to earth LS which is already in production. I totally agree that Lexus is probably the most tightly sealed company about releasing any information until its really close. It really gives it a good element of surprise but either way Lexus decides to go I'm sure everyone wont be pleased.
Old 12-30-02, 03:36 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally posted by jimmit

I dont know but so far this is a very opinion based issue and there really would be no clear cut answer. You just cant please everyone so some people will want more power and some will prefer a practicle down to earth LS which is already in production. I totally agree that Lexus is probably the most tightly sealed company about releasing any information until its really close. It really gives it a good element of surprise but either way Lexus decides to go I'm sure everyone wont be pleased.
well thats a pretty good response! lol
So have we confirmed that a new LS is coming out? And do yall think Lexus reads these forums? :P
Old 12-30-02, 03:41 PM
oac3
Rookie

I said it before and I'll say it again, Lexus traditionally started on caring more about reliability and comfort over performance. Now the *new* Lexus is beggining to show up slowly but surely in the performance category with the *Euro0tuned* suspension system on the late model LS 430's. Looking into the future, it is very conceivable that Lexus will come out with a 5.4L V8 400HP vehicle, but not within the next 2 years. I am optimisticly looking forward to the new design scheduled for late '05 or early '06 release. This will surely have a higher performing engine than the current 4.3L.

But the downside to these higher reving high performing engines is the prohibitive cost of maintainance, and the greater propensity for less reliability - two factors that Lexus will NOT like to be associated with. They built their name on reliability and they must continue to be otherwise risk going out like Acura or Infiniti. Until Lexus can refine their new line of high performing engines, we will continue to speculate on if/when they will ever compete in this segment. Time is the key.... In time....in due time....

Just wait and see
Old 12-31-02, 01:31 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Our sales manager for Sterling McCall Lexus in houston did say that next year a more powerful car might be in the works, but we were only there checking info on the GX though, i'll try to squeeze more info out of him once my dad is back from his vacation
Old 12-31-02, 02:26 AM
D4SSWME
Driver

Default All Models

Lexus should have a performance model for all their vehicles like what Mercedes does with their AMG line.

Appeal to the masses!