LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Door lock actuator or...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-13, 10:38 PM
TaffyK20si
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried to remove my driver door actuator tonight on my 97ls and clean it up like Yamae has shown in his blog. I ran into alot of trouble with the door handle rod not wanting to come out of the back on the handle itself. I got the yellow retainer to flip up but it is holding the rod so tight I couldn't get it out. I pulled so hard I felt like I was about to break something.
Anyone have any tips or tricks on removing the rod high up by the handle?
Old 03-05-13, 05:39 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TaffyK20si
Tried to remove my driver door actuator tonight on my 97ls and clean it up like Yamae has shown in his blog. I ran into alot of trouble with the door handle rod not wanting to come out of the back on the handle itself. I got the yellow retainer to flip up but it is holding the rod so tight I couldn't get it out. I pulled so hard I felt like I was about to break something.
Anyone have any tips or tricks on removing the rod high up by the handle?
I ran into this problem with the first actuator I had to change as well. I think what I did was use a large, long flat head screwdriver to push on it from the inside until it popped out. Its kind of awkward, but you can see it if you look up through the door. or else I had to actually remove the two screws/bolts that hold the door handle on(behind the plastic cover on the actuator), and then get to the rod from the outside. Its been awhile and I can't quite remember.
Old 02-26-17, 05:51 PM
jtparkes
Rookie

Unhappy Replaced actuator - still won't lock. What else could it be?

Hi Gang:
Well, my front pax door on 1999 LS400 lock won't lock or unlock with the lock switch or key fob. Figured it was actuator motor.
I completely replaced the actuator. Used Yamae's instructions and those of sevaral others here. MANY thanks. Would not have attempted without CL help. It was a very hard job. I destroyed original electric motor trying to clean as Yamae suggested, and the replacement motors I could find weren't close enough to original, so I got a used actuator assembly.

However, even with the new (used) actuator, it doesn't work - lock on front pax door won't lock or unlock electronically. Works fine when operated mechanically with key or door unlock button. I checked the 'new' used actuator before installing, and it did 'actuate' and move the rods going to the lock and door handle, so there was juice flowing.
When I lock doors with switch, you hear 'click' from all doors, but front pax door won't lock or unlock. Several seconds later, you hear the click again, which never used to happen

Is there another thing that could fail and cause one door not to lock/unlock remotely? An electrical sensor or switch?

Last edited by jtparkes; 02-26-17 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-27-17, 02:49 AM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by jtparkes
Hi Gang:
Well, my front pax door on 1999 LS400 lock won't lock or unlock with the lock switch or key fob. Figured it was actuator motor.
I completely replaced the actuator. Used Yamae's instructions and those of sevaral others here. MANY thanks. Would not have attempted without CL help. It was a very hard job. I destroyed original electric motor trying to clean as Yamae suggested, and the replacement motors I could find weren't close enough to original, so I got a used actuator assembly.

However, even with the new (used) actuator, it doesn't work - lock on front pax door won't lock or unlock electronically. Works fine when operated mechanically with key or door unlock button. I checked the 'new' used actuator before installing, and it did 'actuate' and move the rods going to the lock and door handle, so there was juice flowing.
When I lock doors with switch, you hear 'click' from all doors, but front pax door won't lock or unlock. Several seconds later, you hear the click again, which never used to happen

Is there another thing that could fail and cause one door not to lock/unlock remotely? An electrical sensor or switch?
Another thing that fails would be the "MPX Network Door Computer" ( a black box installed in the door ). A drive transistor in it is sometimes damaged by the excessive current caused by a bad motor which is short circuited.

Another thing you need to check is the newly bought used actuator. Is the motor inside fully OK? Does it provide enough torque?
The following users liked this post:
jtparkes (02-28-17)
Old 02-28-17, 07:46 AM
jtparkes
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by Yamae
Another thing that fails would be the "MPX Network Door Computer" ( a black box installed in the door ). A drive transistor in it is sometimes damaged by the excessive current caused by a bad motor which is short circuited.

Another thing you need to check is the newly bought used actuator. Is the motor inside fully OK? Does it provide enough torque?
Found it! I was looking at the MPX Network Door Computer you mention, and traced that one of the wiring harnesses had come loose during re-install of the actuator.

I want to thank you for your help Yamae. I wouldn't have through it possible to get the actuator past the window railing, but your instructions here showed how:
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/mae_yas/1405005.html
Old 02-28-17, 09:50 PM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

I'm glad that you succeeded to fix it, jtparkes. There are nearly 50 different computers in the car and without knowing how those work, it's quite difficult to fix problems. I happened to know some about those and I make it a rule to share how those can be fixed.
Old 03-18-17, 03:55 AM
jhuan044
Driver School Candidate

Default Motor size

Hi everyone, new to club lexus. I've been looking at different actuator motors on Amazon, ebay, and on the web. Does anyone know the actuator motor length i need to buy for my lexus ls 400 2000. Ex. 9mm, 10mm , 20mm, etc. don't really know which one is the right one. Please help if you know. Also i need the motor for the front passenger door, more specifically.
Old 11-18-17, 12:37 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

this link might help you out:
https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/mae_yas/1405005.html
Old 06-05-19, 01:09 PM
neilprasad
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Successfully replaced actuator motors thanks to this forum

I replaced 3 door actuators on my 98 LS 9 months ago. Cleaning them didn't work for me, probably coz the car is 20 years old now. See below for part numbers used and things to note:

Front Left (driver) door lock assembly - Part # 69040-50150
Purchased new and genuine from Megazip: Paid $240
Remove old assembly by following Yamae's tutorial. I found it much much easier to slide and guide the assembly down the rail, all the way down to the bottom of the door. Twisting it around the rail didn't work. I broke off the Rod clip since it was so old and brittle so purchased some new ones from
Amazon - Rexka Door Lock Rod Clip 5mm: 69293-12040 Amazon - Rexka Door Lock Rod Clip 5mm: 69293-12040
. This part is not sold separately by lexus and there is no part number for it. They were asking $1300+ for the door lock and key cylinder housing just to sell this small clip. Glad I was able to find this replacement.

Rear Right Door Actuator Motor - Part # AISIN DLT090
Purchased new from RockAuto : Paid $~56
Remove old assembly and swap out the new part. You will need to connect 2 pins from the old motor connector to the new motor connector. Sorry don't have pictures but it will be more clear once you remove the old part.

Rear Left Door Actuator Motor - Part # AISIN DLT085
Purchased new from RockAuto : Paid $~56
Removal and installation same as above.

Now all my doors lock and open perfectly.

Last edited by neilprasad; 06-06-19 at 03:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jtparkes (06-07-19)