LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Megan LP vs EZ

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 11:25 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by xtremex626
Sorry, but the rears maxed out with a 3-4 1/2" gap between the threads and a 2 finger gap isn't low enough for me. I got my info from a fellow member here who also has a 98-00 and had LP's. He eventually switched them out for D2 coilovers, but now he's on PBM's. Guess who!
Originally Posted by xtremex626
Yes, LP and EZ has same exact spring rates. From what I am hearing, EZ has issue in the rear, LP has issue in the front. I can confirm this because I have EZ's and they have the issue in the rear and my buddy had LP's and he had the issue in the front.

Drooping the springs and dropping the preloads is essentially performing the same task which is basically letting the springs hang to go lower since the coils are already maxed out. You do this by unlocking the top 2 collars and lowering the whole spring perch down. Megan states to not droop over 3cm, but I've done 4cm and it's fine. Doing this will compromise shock travel and the rears will become more soft of course.

Not to mention if you are or want to be slammed, you're going to bottom out everywhere even with the max stiffness. I experience this everyday . You really do get what you paid for in the automotive industry.

Not trying to stray people away from Megan products, but I simply got the EZ's cause I'm on a tight budget. If I had money to shell out, I'd get PBM's. But then again, it really depends what your daily applications are.
again, the spring rates and the bracket designs between the LP and EZ are IDENTICAL. neither one will let you slam the rears because the shock body itself is too long to thread into the lower bracket too far. both will put the front subrame near/on the floor if you wanted it to. there's no real benefit to mixing front/back LP/EZ.

PBM/BC just user shorter shock bodies and longer brackets to get the rear end down farther. it's a design compromise, nothing more.

personally I just noticed that Stance released a new line including the LS. Given friends and my own experience with their product, i'm considering selling off my 2 year old LP street for a new set.
Old 04-07-12, 01:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

What I find amusing is that back about 10 years ago when the LS400 was fresher, parts for the car I thought were at a peak. Speaking JDM. Body kits, suspension, etc. Stateside the adoption of VIP-EXE styling was not common. The thought of having parts here was slim and it was. One of my car guys who did import of JDM goods told me recently the various coils coming out now are designs he'd seen in the JDM during those years. He didn't disclose who was using which design but think reverse engineering. His hint to me, buy "made in Taiwan".

PD's mention of Stance: 14/10 MSRP $1395.
http://stance-usa.com/sus/products/c...sport#GR+-apps
Old 04-07-12, 06:41 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
again, the spring rates and the bracket designs between the LP and EZ are IDENTICAL. neither one will let you slam the rears because the shock body itself is too long to thread into the lower bracket too far. both will put the front subrame near/on the floor if you wanted it to. there's no real benefit to mixing front/back LP/EZ.
If that's the case, then why buy the LPs over the EZs? Both require going beond there means in the rear. EZs are cheaper. LPs have more adjustability for fine tuning, but have the same stiffness and softness, also same spring rates.

If the ride becomes stiff, I won't care. I love to ride LOW. My last car (02 eclipse GT) sat only 3" off the ground in the front and 5" in the rear. I don't wana lay frame as I still wana be able to drive it daily. I don't mind a slight forward rake. I don't like it when the body is leveled out and the rear rims tuck but only the tires tuck in the front.
Old 04-07-12, 07:39 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

PBM has also just released their new line of coils out for the LS as well. I believe PBM's are stiffer than Stance coilovers in general. Anyone looking for a stiff ride, don't bother with EZ or LP. I'm going with PBM's for my next setup.

it's pretty sad because my cousin with an SC has PBM coils on his car and his ride is stiff as hell when the stiffness is only in the middle (which is stiffer than my max stiffness on the EZ's). he's maxed the stiffness out before.. and boy.. it's STIFF.
Old 04-07-12, 08:33 PM
ocr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm.. how much are the PBM coils?
Old 04-07-12, 09:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there's a few big differences between the LP and the EZ. LP street have proper spherical bearing upper mounts whereas EZ has small rubber bushings instead. LP street have 32 level adjustability over a wide range, whereas EZ have 15 levels over a much more limited range. Ez are also valved to ride harder than the LP street given the same spring rates.

Stiffness doth not handling make.
Old 04-07-12, 09:19 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

bling blinggg. anywhere from 1,000-1,500 i'm guessing.
Old 04-08-12, 12:54 PM
avu858
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their shop is literally one block away from my house, had them on my SC, Amazing coils. Most bang for your buck with these coils. Paid one thousand dollars out the door, no tax, no receipt. That goes as well as for all the 240s and mazdas and such. Most of the higher end cars are 1250. Such as the q45,350z,the ls and gs.
Old 04-08-12, 06:32 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
What I find amusing is that back about 10 years ago when the LS400 was fresher, parts for the car I thought were at a peak. Speaking JDM. Body kits, suspension, etc. Stateside the adoption of VIP-EXE styling was not common. The thought of having parts here was slim and it was. One of my car guys who did import of JDM goods told me recently the various coils coming out now are designs he'd seen in the JDM during those years. He didn't disclose who was using which design but think reverse engineering. His hint to me, buy "made in Taiwan".
Well said. These cars at the time usually never fell into the demographic of people who modify them on this side of the ocean. It's amazing how trends evolve when high end cars become affordable to people who get their 'grown man' on & decide to push a big Lex. We have always been 10 years behind over here, some things never change. Parts get reengineered & people get rich, again...

I had no idea that my BC's were made in Taiwan till I opened the box. Once installed they were fine. I thought the Taiwan thing wasnt a good until you made the above mention.

Last edited by VanCityLS4; 04-08-12 at 06:37 PM.