LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 ls 400, totally baffled

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 05:16 PM
baffledLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,

I'm back. I can't say I have any good news. The only real news is that I'm an expert on taking off a Ls 400 intake and air cleaner system with my eyes closed. I've done it so many times I can tell you where every bolt goes.

Nonetheless, the problem still prevails. If this were my car, I'd be pouring gas on it and be done with it. Yet, I'm thankful that is is not.

I have removed the upper intake, fuel rail, injectors etc, from the 300k Ls to no avail. I did happen to find the lower intake bolts a tad loose, but nothing to right home about. Replaced the front 02 sensors.

I've done almost everything human to this car. I'm truly disgusted with it. It still runs rich. I even took the old wires off the 300k car, looms and all and transferred them over. NOTHING. The only thing left is the mass airflow meter or the coolant sensor. I had previously tried the other ecm to no avail also. I'm out of options and patience.

Hopefully someone has gone through this crap before to give a clue what to look for. I've practically rebuilt this whole car......
Old 06-13-12, 03:57 AM
baffledLS
Driver School Candidate

Well,

i've started this car up again tried to get codes out of it to no avail. The converters don't get hot, till I crack open the throttle. I't's as if the tps sensor is not adjusted right. I don't know if that is truly the case but I'm running out of options on this car.

In actuality I already fell like throwing in the towel. Again. thank goodness it's not mine......
Old 06-13-12, 02:48 PM
BobN54
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the EGR stuck open?
Old 06-15-12, 02:05 PM
baffledLS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bob for replying.

This money sucking parasite of a vehicle probably needs an ecm. It seems to be a very common issue with the 93-94's along with faulty mass air flows, egr pipes breaking behind the right head, instrument clusters blinking on/off, leaking lcd screens on radio's and climate controls, crappy air suspension shocks. Did I miss anything, because this is the stuff that I know of and I don't own one.

Not to say no car ever produced is perfect, none will be. Yet, as this car ages, it seems pointless to try to hold onto it..... I guess it's a matter of taste.
Old 06-08-13, 08:42 AM
Crybicki
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see that this post is over a year old, but I thought I would post the solution to this problem just in case anyone ever references this later. If your spark plugs are getting unburnt fuel, your car is heating up and you may or may not be getting a coolant leak, and you have white smoke here and there, and the car is running rich, check your DISTRIBUTOR CAPS. These are what the spark plugs go into on the other end, opposite the spark plugs. If you check out my post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-problems.html
you will see my distributor caps. the rotor (red crumbled piece) inside literally blew up, so I was only running on 4 cylinders. This caused the unburnt fuel, the immense heat, the overheating of the coolant, and the richness of the gas.
The last post, talking about the ECU, the capacitors in the ECU could very well be bad as well. This is a common issue on the LS400's. The ECU is located on the passenger side, right footwell, inside the car. The capacitors can be replaced without doing the whole ECU. You have to have a sautering gun to do it, but if you read a post on it, its fairly simple.

I hope this helps someone in the future!