LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 LS Dyno results!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-02, 01:25 PM
LexusWhoSmokedU
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, basically when I went to buy a car I was going to keep for a while, I did some research. I learned of the 91-92 LS400s being the most reliable but I also knew that they had brake problems like crazy in 90 so I nixed it and the problems were not fully cured until 93 and 94. The part that caught my attention, was where the engine and drivetrain mostly came from. Toyota's F-1 racing team used this same block and only had slight differences. For instance, the F-1s went to 16,000 RPM. The crank and block basically the same. They had cams which were used up in one race because of their design. Obviously, 16,000 RPM is not a reasonable goal to shoot for, but it at least gave me ideas. I am about to rebuild the entire engine with forged just about everything to handle the N20 setup I am adding and also to handle a 16 lb eaton supercharger. I liked the LS for its room and comfort and ease at which I will be able to put in an intercooler and intake plumbing. I would like to update the front end and rear to a 98 style and that will prob be a spring break project. MY Christmas project is going to keep the car in my garage for nearly four weeks. But when done should run a 10.5-11 in the quarter with about 650 RWHP. I am having new cams custom built to allow for shifts at 8,200 RPM. The HP curve should peak at about 7800 or so. I would really like to put the supercharger on at the same time, but college and Christmas gifts will keep me from being able to afford it. By spring break though, I am hoping to have the supercharger on there and running mid 9s. After that, I am done. I cannot run correctly at the track now. I wait at the line for three seconds to go so that I don't need to get a helmet and put a roll cage in the damn thing. Currently, I run only 235/45/17s on the track but I am sending the old stock 16" rims and having a welding shop cut them and weld them together to make a wheel to fit 345 wide tires in the back. I want the car to almost seem stock so no huge body kits or anything. I just want it to look nice, sound good (exhaust and stereo) and run like hell down the track. Now, to answer questions... The intake suggestions I will go ahead and take pictures of my car with each different set up I was describing because yes that was confusing when I read back over it and it is hard to describe but the BEST AND CHEAPEST route I have found was this:
1.) Remove the air intake which routes to above the radiator and is about 2 feet long and 9 inches wide.
2.) Then take off the plastic piece which wraps around the filter to hide it. Itis the piece that looks like a bowl and connects to the air intake that would have been above the radiator.
3.) Take electrical tape and start wrapping the very outer lip of the air filter (plastic that seats up to the plastic piece that comes from the MAF) Wrap the edge about 5-6 times to make the diameter of that plastic seating piece wider and also the tape is soft and provides a seal. Put the filter in as if you had the plastic piece on it but just push it up to the plastic piece coming from the MAF Clamp it down and you are done. 25 cents of electrical tape and it will perform almost as well as the Rod Millen ($220 from Lexuspros.com) It also filters better since it is the factory paper type but being open really allows the engine to scream.
Many people's LS400s I have serviced all had a problem with seeming to choke off when floored and it got to 5700 RPM. This is because the stock intake system was designed for quietness, fuel economy, and lower emissions. You will not fail emissions, as long as the car is not floored all the time, economy goes up, and the sound you get is awesome. Go under a bridge at full throttle and you will sound like the F1s. I swear on my life you will worship the sound your car makes. All my friends with Trans Ams and Mustangs all think my car sounds better than anything they have ever heard. Sorry, but it has been raining in Houston and I can't take pics until later tonight or tomorrow. It is 40 degrees here and my car is running SOOOOOOOO well. I love cold weather. By the way, for anyone who doesn't understand the quarter mile stuff and 0-60 here is a quick list of kills I have made:
TT Supra 96 46,000 spent on mods raced to 80 and I killed him.
02 Camaro Z28 6spd raced quarter and killed him
03 Mustang GT ??? tranny but beat him all the way from Houston to Brenham. 155 is quite fast by the way. He topped at 150. (3am in the morning no cops But for anyone who doesn't believe my dynos or times, bring your car to me, let me work for about 24 hours and I can guarantee similar times and numbers. I will list the dyno charts too this weekend. Along with my track slips. I am going to run the car this weekend again cuz its colder than last time I ran. I'm not saying my car is faster than all Z28s or anything like that. I know that with the right driver and all the free mods the LS1s have, they could kill me. But I really enjoyed trouncing the hell out of a supercharged S2000!!!
Sean Gillette
Old 12-06-02, 12:19 PM
Lvangundy

I think I've done what you described for the airbox mod.

I did it really quick, slapped some electrical tape on and kept the intake redirector (over the radiator) because I figure this part does provide some air from the front of the car..maybe it gets hot as it passes over the radiator? I also removed the little hard plastic piece that covers the lightbulb connector socket. I think jbrady described a rubber seal, but I haven't found one on my car for the headlight.

I'll take some pics today. The sound is louder than stock, but not as loud as the K&N was. People on the freeway could hear the K&N, heh I could see them look over as I kept the car in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 12-06-02 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-06-02, 04:53 PM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

Dude i think u mean the Toyota Cart team (2.6L TTV8) Toyota has never been in F1 until this year and F1 uses 3L V10.

You will also have to run some significant boost (will have to fortify the engine and lower the compression because it will not take that much HP with stock internals) to runs 9s and be making about 800RWHP and hook up solidly. Also i think you will have better chance with a TT setup to run that fast than a SC setup. you will also have the run some drag radials or drag slicks on the track if you want to run that fast.

but all power to ya man i hope all comes together well for you over the Christmas break.

Last edited by IS200 3SGTE; 12-06-02 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-06-02, 07:58 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

**** My X-mas present is to come to your house and drop off my GS400 so you can make me run 12s
Old 12-07-02, 01:18 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

is that 4200@58 mph on 2 gear?
Old 12-07-02, 04:03 AM
LexusWhoSmokedU
Driver School Candidate

To IS200:
I had found an article about the LS that was about the LS and it said that the drivetrain came from the engines that Toyota had developed for F-1. Now I have no problem admitting wrongness here but I have had other people tell me the same thing. I heard it a few times and assumed, along with the article, for it to be true. I am not sure about it at all now that you say that it couldn't be. I will now have to do more research on this... Thank you for telling me. I guess I just believed one of the guys who told me because he told me all about the cam setups and everything that was run. Maybe a different type of racing but I am now at a loss for words. Anyway, as for the speed part, I am going to be running a supercharger, DP N20, Extra fuel line/pump with return and just about everything forged on the engine. Also, I am having my friend who works directly with GM take my block and have it bored out and have forged cylinder sleeves installed. Many people have told me that 10s can't be done on my engine... This is precisely why I know that I will make it. One of my close friends wants to start a new performance shop and we are going to use my car as advertising at the track. I will make a thread with about 20 pics of my car this weekend. I need to get some good pics first. I will show my exhaust setup, intake setup, and some scans of the pics I took when I polished down all the parts to my intake...
Old 12-07-02, 01:43 PM
IS200 3SGTE
Pole Position

Hey

Ya Toyota has not been in F1 since this year and if they had developed that engine for anything it would have been:

1.Cart since they use 2.6L V8TT (around 800HP) engines

2.Could have been developed from there Le Mans program which used a 4L V8TT that made a claimed 600HP but more around 800HP (toyota still holds the record and speed, 244MPH!, for that confirguration of the Le Mans circuit)

3.The Offroad race trucks (i forget what displacment they are, i think 5.5L) they produce 800HP N/A.

10 seconds can be done in anything but it depends on how much money you want to spend! The engine can make the HP, in NIRA import drag racing the Blast Racing SC300 used to run the 1UZ-FE engine twin turbocharged and creating about 1800HP, that car albeit a full tube race car ran 7.1@190MPH. The Turbonetics Celica V8TT runs the iron block tundra engine that is bored and strocked to 5.3L and that is said to creat in excess of 1800HP (around 2000HP) and that car has ran a 6.89@203MPH.

So really it can be done but how much money and time you want to spend. But it is good to see you have everything planned out, and everything looks good for ya so far. and i wish you luck my friend.

Take it easy.

Last edited by IS200 3SGTE; 12-07-02 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-09-02, 12:36 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics of all the mods please
Old 01-11-03, 12:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally posted by LexusWhoSmokedU
... but the BEST AND CHEAPEST route I have found was this:
1.) Remove the air intake which routes to above the radiator and is about 2 feet long and 9 inches wide.
2.) Then take off the plastic piece which wraps around the filter to hide it. Itis the piece that looks like a bowl and connects to the air intake that would have been above the radiator.
3.) Take electrical tape and start wrapping the very outer lip of the air filter (plastic that seats up to the plastic piece that comes from the MAF) Wrap the edge about 5-6 times to make the diameter of that plastic seating piece wider and also the tape is soft and provides a seal. Put the filter in as if you had the plastic piece on it but just push it up to the plastic piece coming from the MAF Clamp it down and you are done.
Hmm... I have a GS400 (same engine as LS400 of course) and I tried doing what you said, but the clips are on the bottom 'bowl' part I took out so it's not clear how the filter can be held in place to the upper plastic piece the MAF is attached to.

Comments appreciated!
Old 01-11-03, 12:42 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Bit, the LS400 has a round filter housing with a V band clamp that goes completely around the front and rear sections with the edge of the filter sandwiched between them. Removing the front section leaves slack in the V band and the tape mearly takes up the slack so the V band will hold the filter securely in the rear half of the housing with the front removed.

The GS has a different style filter housing so this method is not specific to your car. The idea is to provide the entire filter surface with un-restricted airflow. Of course you must block the hot air from the engine and radiator and provide a source of cold outside the compartment air.

BTW, "LexusWhoSmokedU" appears to be BS. Right after his first posts I PM'd him and requested his number so that we could exchange info, he sent it, I called and we talked for a good 20 minutes. He was very enthusiastic but made several outrageous claims for the Eaton supercharger including his "buddies" 8 second Camaro After speaking with me that time he never showed up here again or would answer my calls. I wanted to check out his ride. From his descriptions he does have some knowledge of 1st gen LS400s but I suspect he is mearly running a 150-200hp shot of nitrous and maybe NO exhaust at all (he claimed he would take his 2.5" duals OFF when racing Look for my post on this subject.
Old 01-11-03, 06:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Thanks jbrady. Well if nothing else, taking all the filter plumbing off allowed me to clean it all, clean some coolant crud from near the radiator cap, and put it all back together again. I'm not a 'clean freak' or mechanically very good like many on here, but it was nice to actually take something apart, get it all clean and all back in place!
Old 04-07-03, 11:22 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what "lexuswhosmokedU" said about the whole intake modifying is BS?

"1.) Remove the air intake which routes to above the radiator and is about 2 feet long and 9 inches wide.
3.) Take electrical tape and start wrapping the very outer lip of the air filter (plastic that seats up to the plastic piece that comes from the MAF) Wrap the edge about 5-6 times to make the diameter of that plastic seating piece wider and also the tape is soft and provides a seal. Put the filter in as if you had the plastic piece on it but just push it up to the plastic piece coming from the MAF Clamp it down and you are done. 25 cents of electrical tape and it will perform almost as well as the Rod Millen ($220 from Lexuspros.com) It also filters better since it is the factory paper type but being open really allows the engine to scream. "

Also, should I stay away from the K&N cone adapter stuff for the 1991 LS 400?
Old 04-07-03, 02:46 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Persian, proper changes to the intake and exhaust will produce a power increase... just NOT what TLWSY was claiming. He appeared to have enough knowledge that he either had an LS400 or a friend did (maybe their parents car ) but his claims were unfounded. I would say that there is in the neighborhood of 50hp to be gained with an all out effort on exhaust and intake upgrading. However, done improperly or by guessing could easily produce LESS than stock power or at least a reduction in drivability and low speed torque.
Old 04-08-03, 12:45 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

John,

Alot of people in this forum are just BS of what they think they know. They never do any dyno or experiement on their car. Unlike Lee, he did do the mod and tested it out. Theory and practice is two different topics. Remember the guy from SC forum was talking about Turbo a SC400. I dont see the thread anymore. Bunch of BS.