LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tough Decision... coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 01:02 AM
Joshcar
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tough Decision... coilovers

I know this has been asked a countless amount of times, I've been searching on the forums and all over google. However I'm at a standstill and been having a lot of trouble deciding what coilover's to go with. Originally I was gonna go with Megan LP's but discovered the rear's max out relatively quick and they are pretty soft. Then one of my buddies showed me D2 racing coilover's which got me interested since you can select custom spring rates. And now i've been looking at BC's and stumbled upon BC Racing BR Plus with Swift Springs.

I already figured that my ride quality will suffer and that I won't get anything like the stock feel. I wouldn't mind something a bit stiffer since I probably will go pretty low ( plan on running 18x9 and 18x10.5 soon) so I'll need a good amount of camber and also the wonderful roads of Montreal are filled with potholes and bumps so I don't need to be bouncing around and rubbing/scraping all the time. But at the same time I still want something relatively comfortable since it is a luxury car.

So i'm asking you guys, what do you think would be best given my situation and also for people to chime in about the coilover's you're currently running.

P.S: This is somewhat random but I have dual subs in my trunk which weigh a bit so keep in mind I always have some extra weight in my trunk. Also sorry for the long post.

TL/DR: Megans? D2's? or BC BR with Swift Springs? or other? Considering bad roads of Montreal, while wanting to keep some comfort in ride quality.
Old 06-05-12, 04:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lemme get this straight, you want:

-ride low
-high spring rate (to deal with the bad roads)
-comfort (goes against high spring rate, even with proper valving)
-don't want to rub/scrape.

am I the only one here who thinks you're asking for a unicorn?

if you don't want to rub/scrape, then you're not going to be going reflector-scrapingly low. If you aren't going reflector-scrapingly low you arent going to need the ridiculously high spring rate. so if you're not going to be dropping the subframes down onto the ground, tell me again why the Megans arent going to work for you?

everyone talks so much about how the Megans don't get you low, in reality the overall difference between the megans and the BC/JIC design is less than an inch difference, in the REAR of the car. if you are trying to tuck 18s, then yes, get BCs. if you aren't, or are one 19s/20s (2LS), then the megans will serve you fine (and ride/last pretty damn well to boot).

if you are worried, regardless of what i just mentioned, about not being able to go "low enough" then buy the BCs and call it a day.

Think I forgot about the D2s? no, i could just care less about a brand i've had no (zero, 0) good experiences with.
Old 06-05-12, 04:51 AM
racersky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on BC Coilovers with swift springs right now and lemme just give you my two cents....Ride quality is not so bad until you hit any type of bump, pothole, or just anything that's messed up on the road than it feels like death. I'm not gonna say that I'm extremely low to the ground but I can tell you that I have just barely any rebound in the rears than the fronts.
Old 06-05-12, 10:26 AM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

PD pretty much explained it all. i say go with BC w/o the swift package. if you have the money go for it, having coils give you adjustability, but honestly i only see owners adjust their coilovers once or twice in their lifetime.
Old 06-05-12, 11:45 AM
Joshcar
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
lemme get this straight, you want:

-ride low
-high spring rate (to deal with the bad roads)
-comfort (goes against high spring rate, even with proper valving)
-don't want to rub/scrape.

am I the only one here who thinks you're asking for a unicorn?

if you don't want to rub/scrape, then you're not going to be going reflector-scrapingly low. If you aren't going reflector-scrapingly low you arent going to need the ridiculously high spring rate. so if you're not going to be dropping the subframes down onto the ground, tell me again why the Megans arent going to work for you?

everyone talks so much about how the Megans don't get you low, in reality the overall difference between the megans and the BC/JIC design is less than an inch difference, in the REAR of the car. if you are trying to tuck 18s, then yes, get BCs. if you aren't, or are one 19s/20s (2LS), then the megans will serve you fine (and ride/last pretty damn well to boot).

if you are worried, regardless of what i just mentioned, about not being able to go "low enough" then buy the BCs and call it a day.

Think I forgot about the D2s? no, i could just care less about a brand i've had no (zero, 0) good experiences with.
Sorry I wasnt entirely clear by what I meant in terms of scraping. I don't want my suspension to be too soft where when I hit a bump the wheels hit the wheel well. But I figured I'm gonna lose comfort I just don't want something that feels rock hard. And I've seen the rears on Megan's maxed out and I don't find it low enough, so I suppose BC's will give me more room to play with. In all honesty I won't go fully slammed right away but I want to have the option of slamming.
Old 06-05-12, 11:51 AM
Joshcar
Rookie

Originally Posted by racersky
I'm on BC Coilovers with swift springs right now and lemme just give you my two cents....Ride quality is not so bad until you hit any type of bump, pothole, or just anything that's messed up on the road than it feels like death. I'm not gonna say that I'm extremely low to the ground but I can tell you that I have just barely any rebound in the rears than the fronts.
Unless you're driving a truck I think any potholes and bumps feel like death either way. But overall do you like them, or do you think you would've preferred something different?
Old 06-05-12, 11:53 AM
Joshcar
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
PD pretty much explained it all. i say go with BC w/o the swift package. if you have the money go for it, having coils give you adjustability, but honestly i only see owners adjust their coilovers once or twice in their lifetime.
I'm not going to spend money on the swift springs if I don't really need them but if they do really do what they say they do providing a more sporty almost comfortable ride then I'd get them.
Old 06-05-12, 01:13 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Swift springs are a higher quality spring and will provide better ride quality as well as overall handling. Swift only makes springs, and they are some of the best springs available on the market, which is why they perform better than the standard BC springs (although there is nothing wrong with the standard springs).

They will give you a better ride over the standard springs, as they will compress more (less coils) and the rate is truly linear, (or as clsoe as you can get) .

The BC kit with Swift springs is the best bang for your buck.

Feel free to hit us up and we can help you get a custom kit setup on these.
Old 06-05-12, 01:21 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
The Swift springs are a higher quality spring and will provide better ride quality as well as overall handling. Swift only makes springs, and they are some of the best springs available on the market, which is why they perform better than the standard BC springs (although there is nothing wrong with the standard springs).

They will give you a better ride over the standard springs, as they will compress more (less coils) and the rate is truly linear, (or as clsoe as you can get) .

The BC kit with Swift springs is the best bang for your buck.

Feel free to hit us up and we can help you get a custom kit setup on these.
That's what I've heard about swift springs, I sent you guys an email! I'm pretty interested in them
Old 06-06-12, 12:34 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Bump, anyone else got some more feedback?
Old 06-06-12, 01:00 PM
SlowGS300
Driver School Candidate

i currently have the megan lp's, have had them for a bit over a year. i haven't had any problems with them at all, the ride seams fine to me and they go pretty low( haven't come close to maxing them out yet). that's just my .02.
Old 06-06-12, 01:39 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have Megan coilovers on my LS. They are a bit soft for my taste but then again like Pure Drifter said, I'm reflector scrape low. So in my case I want a stiffer coilover, but if you don't plan on really slamming it, just get the Megans.

Cause if I'm not mistaken the BC and the Megan have the same spring rates only difference the BC's will go lower in the rear. Plus when you get low enough, the UCA is gonna start banging in the fender(the point where I am now)
Old 06-06-12, 07:57 PM
Lexusjz
Driver School Candidate

I've got megans on mine. I found that they actually went too low. Luckily I live about 30 minutes from their HQ and was able to swap out the shock body for something a bit longer. I'm running 19s and i cant imagine the car being drivable with megans at their lowest.
Old 06-06-12, 10:25 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Thanks to everyone who chimed in, Megans and BC are both made in the same factory I believe so I would assume they're quite similar.

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
Cause if I'm not mistaken the BC and the Megan have the same spring rates only difference the BC's will go lower in the rear. Plus when you get low enough, the UCA is gonna start banging in the fender(the point where I am now)
jdmSW20 you are not mistaken they both have the same spring rates but the set I was looking at was with Swift Springs so I have the choice to order custom spring rates.

So basically I just have to decide which is the best option for me, I think i might go with the BCR's with custom spring rates, knowing me I'm going to end up wanting to be slammed
Old 06-07-12, 02:17 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshcar
Thanks to everyone who chimed in, Megans and BC are both made in the same factory I believe so I would assume they're quite similar.

jdmSW20 you are not mistaken they both have the same spring rates but the set I was looking at was with Swift Springs so I have the choice to order custom spring rates.

So basically I just have to decide which is the best option for me, I think i might go with the BCR's with custom spring rates, knowing me I'm going to end up wanting to be slammed
yeah man those might be your best option in the long run. the megans i have are maxed out in the rear AND i had to droop the spring an 1" just to get it evened out. my front might be able to go a tad lower but the rear wont match so i need another option lol.

plus im on 19's so you can imagine how low i am

Quick Reply: Tough Decision... coilovers