LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car will not start!! Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 09:05 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxurexus
I have checked everything over, and it still refuses to start...I am extremely frustrated with this because I have had to get rides to work everyday now...I tried putting the tps sensor in every possible fashion is could be and nothing. I am completely stumped, I love my car but sometimes I wish it wasnt so temperamental. I am afraid if I dont get it figured out tomorrow I will have to get it towed into the dealership and that will cost me $$$$$ which I dont have...fml
You don't have to do the dealer. Start by looking up Toyota and / or Lexus mechanics in your area. Do you have any family or friends who have trustworthy mechanics? There is a section on this forum for local mechanics, I believe. You will probably save a good 50% by going to an independent mechanic.

Why not post here asking for recommendations for a good local mechanic.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/flo...exus-club-177/

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-01-12 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 04:48 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to calibrate the TPS When you install. You have to look up the numbers but It has to be within a certain value closed and at WOT. needs to be checked with a voltmeter.
Old 08-02-12, 06:16 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
You don't have to do the dealer. Start by looking up Toyota and / or Lexus mechanics in your area. Do you have any family or friends who have trustworthy mechanics? There is a section on this forum for local mechanics, I believe. You will probably save a good 50% by going to an independent mechanic.

Why not post here asking for recommendations for a good local mechanic.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/flo...exus-club-177/
I actually work at a Lexus dealership (not a mechanic obviously) and had one of the techs come over after work today. We broke it down and he actually narrowed a few things down for me. Here is some updated information that may help with the diagnostic.
- My Check engine light and Security lights are not coming on.
He believes it has something to do with the ecu. I did have to move around the engine harness to get the valve covers to seat without the gasket coming off or sealing incorrectly. He says I may have pulled loose or broken a wire or plug. Input appreciated.
Old 08-02-12, 09:24 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Oh lol well you definitely left that out. If the key is at the ON position and you don't see the check engine light that means the car is not seeing the ECU ( ECU has no power) then you can't start the car for sure. It'll crank 4ever but won't start. I'm actually tracking down the same problem with my supra. I replaced everything into a new shell and now there's no CEL light when key is at the ON position. Hopefully i left something unplugged and not an electrical problem.
Old 08-02-12, 09:30 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by akitomk3
Oh lol well you definitely left that out. If the key is at the ON position and you don't see the check engine light that means the car is not seeing the ECU ( ECU has no power) then you can't start the car for sure. It'll crank 4ever but won't start. I'm actually tracking down the same problem with my supra. I replaced everything into a new shell and now there's no CEL light when key is at the ON position. Hopefully i left something unplugged and not an electrical problem.
I honestly didnt even notice that it wasnt there, I hardly look for those lights unless its flashing while the car is running...But im glad he caught it. I tore apart my glove box to get to my ecu today, tomorrow my technician is coming back out and we will try to figure out if I unplugged something or what.. If I knew it was going to cause this kind of problem I would of let my gaskets leak forever...Luckily the harness is not very long (even though it has a ton of odds and ends) so it may only be a matter of time before we track it down with a test light. Got my fingers crossed that it is only something simple and tomorrow my car will be back on the road. Good luck on your supra, electrical problems are always the biggest pain in the rear.
Old 08-03-12, 07:50 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

You shouldn't have opened up the ECU..It's not seeing power meaning an ECU ground was left out, or a plug is unplugged. You didn't do anything to the ECU at the glove box side so going there is not going to to anything yet....That should be the last thing to replace. Check to see if you left out a ground somewhere.
Old 08-03-12, 08:53 AM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by akitomk3
You shouldn't have opened up the ECU..It's not seeing power meaning an ECU ground was left out, or a plug is unplugged. You didn't do anything to the ECU at the glove box side so going there is not going to to anything yet....That should be the last thing to replace. Check to see if you left out a ground somewhere.
I didnt open up the ecu, I took off the glove box that is covering the ecu. From what I understand is while changing my valve cover gaskets I had to move the main engine harness around alot and might have unplugged or broken a wire or clip that is plugged into the ecu or somewhere along the way. I am going to look on TIS to find a wire diagram at work and see what gives power to the ecu and the security system then use a test light and follow it back to the engine bay. I am sure it is just a simple ground or something small but it is very hard to find.
Old 08-04-12, 04:07 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Havent been able to find anything wrong with the car yet except for the security light and check engine light no turning on. Does anyone have any clue what is going on with the vehicle? Im going on a week without a car right now and I cant go any longer..
Old 08-04-12, 09:35 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Luxurexus
Havent been able to find anything wrong with the car yet except for the security light and check engine light no turning on. Does anyone have any clue what is going on with the vehicle? Im going on a week without a car right now and I cant go any longer..
The ECU sounds right on. Since you work at a Lexus dealer can you not remove it and bring it into work and maybe as a favor or get an employee price to have them diagnose it? You can also find pretty cheap used ECU or ECM on the internet. You can also pull the ECU and send it to a third party to have it diagnosed and repaired though this usually cost more then purchasing a used one.

http://www.shipecm.com/index.php?rou...product_id=506

https://www.google.com/search?q=1991...w=1440&bih=715

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-04-12 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 07:36 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

The ECU sounds right on. Since you work at a Lexus dealer can you not remove it and bring it into work and maybe as a favor or get an employee price to have them diagnose it? You can also find pretty cheap used ECU or ECM on the internet. You can also pull the ECU and send it to a third party to have it diagnosed and repaired though this usually cost more then purchasing a used one.

http://www.shipecm.com/index.php?rou...product_id=506

https://www.google.com/search?q=1991...w=1440&bih=715
Could it be some kind of safety device? Like a fail safe? I read that there is something called an immobilizer that can cause something similar to this. The reason I ask is because I am not getting my security light (which leads me to believe its security related) and no check engine light (which could be disengaged by a security feature). Like I said in the beginning I had to turn my car to ACC while half way through the valve cover job and the key got stuck in the ignition not turning back past acc, then I was able to get it out but it was very reluctant (as if it didnt want to turn or be pulled out) which leads me to believe it may be stuck in that "safe" mode where it is trying to deter the vehicle from being stolen. If this is possible is there a method of getting it out of this mode? I tried resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery at both terminals but to no avail. I read that unlocking the car from the passenger side may work? Has anyone else heard of this? I would go and try it but my passenger side door cylinder is seized and I will have to go to the junkyard to find a new cylinder and matching key (which is very rare).
Old 08-06-12, 08:01 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

*UPDATE*
Security light is now showing up but it is flashing, is that normal or does that indicate that something is wrong? Still no CEL light...

Last edited by Luxurexus; 08-06-12 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 08:49 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I was looking around online to see if the 91 has an immobilizer or not. There are threads about these issues. Some suggested locking and unlocking the car with the key form the outside to try to disable the security system. Other suggestions were in regards to leaving the ignition set on the ON position for 6 min then removing the key and trying to start the car. Could be worth a try. Do you have a key fob for you car? Another suggestion said to press unlock and then lock for a few seconds until you hear a beep to reset the alarm. Lots of different instructions floating around. Let us know if any of these work. Also, are your door locks functioning properly?

AA man came and by shutting everything off, ignition off , locking doors.......repeating a number of times the immobilizer was finally overcome and this allowed car to start.
you need to reset alarm/immobiliser.lock car with remote, hold button down for 30 secs,then press/hold down unlock button,should reset.another way is with key in ignition/turned on, press alarm button down and hold for 30 secs.this resets immobiliser.toyota
systems vary..depending on market.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...gage-91-a.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7649463_rese...400-sedan.html

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-06-12 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 01:17 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

I was looking around online to see if the 91 has an immobilizer or not. There are threads about these issues. Some suggested locking and unlocking the car with the key form the outside to try to disable the security system. Other suggestions were in regards to leaving the ignition set on the ON position for 6 min then removing the key and trying to start the car. Could be worth a try. Do you have a key fob for you car? Another suggestion said to press unlock and then lock for a few seconds until you hear a beep to reset the alarm. Lots of different instructions floating around. Let us know if any of these work. Also, are your door locks functioning properly?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...gage-91-a.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7649463_rese...400-sedan.html
I do not have a key fob, just a manual key. My passenger side lock cylinder is seized (and has been since I purchased the vehicle) and all my locks work (except the rear passenger I believe the motor has gone bad). I have tried unlocking it and locking it from outside the driver side but its a no go. Ill try turning it to the ON position for 6 minutes and see if that works, it very well could seeing how my key got stuck in the on position originally and I had to leave it in there for a day with the battery disconnected so not to drain it. I have a appointment to get it towed in and serviced at the Lexus dealership I work at on Friday, if nothing works by then I will have the whole staff scratching there heads over this I did notice the security light is blinking again so it may not be a security issue after all. CEL is still not showing up, still stumped about that one. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it