LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

It has FINALLY happened! I just became a Lexus owner - 99 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 12:12 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking It has FINALLY happened! I just became a Lexus owner - 99 LS400

Hey chaps,

I am so proud to be an official member of the Lexus owners club. I picked up my 1999 pearl white LS4 two days ago and I look forward to many years and even more miles of peaceful serenity behind the wheel. It almost didn't happen. I was considering a Mercedes c-class first because I love German cars and I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Benzs but my rational side won me over and I bought the LS. It has 104k, gray interior, nakamichi sound, but no sunroof or heated seats.

Anyway, I've averaged 22.5 mpg on the first tank so I'm happy with that. What I'm not happy with are the oem wheel styles, lack of exhaust noise, and body float/roll.

So my purpose of this thread is to make my official "formal" introduction and to bounce some ideas off of you seasoned Lexus club members.

1. Wheels - this is easy, I already perused the numerous threads about this subject and I am aware of which Lexus wheels fit other Lexus cars so I don't need much input here.

2. Exhaust - the oem sound is nice and smooth which is what I like and don't want to change. I just want to turn up the volume a bit without having huge pipes sticking out from under my rear bumper. So I want the same smooth exhaust note with a little more volume while keeping the stock look if possible. If it isn't, just say so.

3. Body roll/float - this is what I want to change the most but it is what confuses me most. First of all, what are coilovers and what do they do? Second, let me explain what I hope to keep about the Lexus ride and what I want to get rid of. I want to keep the smoothness with which the LS absorbs the road imperfections. But I want lose the subsequent up and down bounce which follows. To explain it another way; you have tempurpedic memory foam mattress and a waterbed mattress. Both will absorb impacts well but the tempurpedic will stay stable and composed after the impact while the waterbed will bounce and take its time to settle down after the impact. The tempurpedic is likened unto the GS (or a Mercedes) and the waterbed is likened unto the LS in terms of ride quality. Is there any way to keep the excellent bump absorption without having the unwanted seasickness? I read the Bilstein makes for a happy medium so how much are they and are struts all that need changing to achieve the desired result?

What would other options be?

Btw, I had Lexus do a pre-purchase inspection before I bought it and they said the suspension and steering are in great shape.
Old 08-13-12, 01:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Congrats on the LS.

For the exhaust:
http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/ls40...arts-pics.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...o-talk-in.html

If the car is floating over bumps, it is highly likely the shocks are dead and due for replacement. Each of the Bilstein HD's will get you about $130. Add in about $200 for install and $75 for an alignment. If you can DIY the install you save some $. The BIlstein has 2 perch settings so if you want about a 1/2" drop on the stock springs, you can use the lower mount setting.
Old 08-13-12, 05:21 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

It is doubtful that LS shocks would be worn out after only 104K. I've bought one LS400 new in 1990 and my current 2000 LS used at 38,000 in 2003 and they were just as "floaty" when I bought them as when I sold the 90 LS at 183,500 miles and my 2000 LS400 is now at 156,000 miles.

Go test drive a new $90,000 LS460L with air suspension as I did last fall if you want to experience a "floaty" suspension. My aging 00 LS400 feels way "tighter" and much more fun to drive than that barge.
Old 08-13-12, 06:10 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Normal or not, I just want a little more body control without lowering the car.
Old 08-13-12, 06:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
It is doubtful that LS shocks would be worn out after only 104K. I've bought one LS400 new in 1990 and my current 2000 LS used at 38,000 in 2003 and they were just as "floaty" when I bought them as when I sold the 90 LS at 183,500 miles and my 2000 LS400 is now at 156,000 miles.

Go test drive a new $90,000 LS460L with air suspension as I did last fall if you want to experience a "floaty" suspension. My aging 00 LS400 feels way "tighter" and much more fun to drive than that barge.
I think it really depends on the road conditions. My 09 with only 70K needs struts. The roads in PR are rather rough and suspensions take a beating for sure. One way you can tell is just by using your body weight and pushing down on each side of the vehicle to see how much she will press down and once you let go does she come up and bounce a little? Are you feeling the bouncing or floating when hitting dips in the road, especially at highway speeds? If you do need to do struts the KYB's are closest to stock at a pretty good price. It's about $1,000.00 for parts and labor from an independent shop. From your description I bet your struts are shot. Don't forget to also replace the strut mounts when you do it.

RockAuto has some of the best deals I can find on the parts.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-13-12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 06:16 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Well I don't know the condition of the roads my car traveled on for the first third of it's life. It is originally from Hawaii and was then shipped over to California before being brought to Utah six months ago.
Old 08-13-12, 06:36 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HowdyAudi
Well I don't know the condition of the roads my car traveled on for the first third of it's life. It is originally from Hawaii and was then shipped over to California before being brought to Utah six months ago.
I would not be surprised if Hawaii faces similar issue as we do in PR. Tropical climates present a lot of problems. If you go out to your car and use you weight to push down on the front left and/or right side does she press down and by how much by your estimation? Can you rock the front end by doing what I mentioned. If so, you need struts. RockAuto is $569.75 shipped for 4 struts, 4 mounts, and 4 strut boots. I know because I need to do this sometime soon.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-13-12 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 06:42 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Well if I press down on one corner of the car, at a VERY rough guess i would say the car compresses by 2-3 inches. It also bounces once more after I let off.
Old 08-13-12, 06:43 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Well if I press down on one corner of the car, at a VERY rough guess i would say the car compresses by 2-3 inches. It also bounces once more after I let off.
Yeah, your struts are shot just like mine. There is your answer my friend. KYB and Bilstien are the best struts for our cars. Bilstien is slightly more firm from what I have read.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-13-12 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 06:45 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Damn. And I thought I finally bought a car that doesn't need a ton of work right away.
Old 08-13-12, 06:51 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Damn. And I thought I finally bought a car that doesn't need a ton of work right away.
I know how you feel. Just remember this will bring the car back to like new performance. Every car needs these things at one point. Also, it won't hurt the car to drive like it is. It's just not as ideal. She is 13 years old...

Other recommendations are:

- Start the drain and refill procedure on your trans fluid. 2 quarts are in the trans pan. Repeat every 6 months to a year.
- Clean throttle body
- Change differential fluid
- Has the car had the major timing belt water pump service? Pretty expensive but very important. About $1,200.00 parts and labor.
- new air and cabin filter

The LS's are not the cheapest to own but the longevity will pay you back in the long run if you do things right. You can easily pass 300k miles on a properly maintained LS 400. It's all about preventive maintenance.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-13-12 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 06:55 PM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

True. So if I want to keep the same ride height, it sounds like my only options would be OEM struts or the Bilsteins. RA40 said the Bilsteins would run $130 each; how much are OEM units?
Old 08-13-12, 07:03 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

True. So if I want to keep the same ride height, it sounds like my only options would be OEM struts or the Bilsteins. RA40 said the Bilsteins would run $130 each; how much are OEM units?
OEM are made by KYB. There may be slight differences between the softness compared to the KYB Gr2 Excels "aftermarket" but it is not worth the extra cost. OEM from the dealer will cost you more then triple KYB "aftermarket". It is really the same thing. Almost everyone on here has replaced with the KYB GR 2's and say they are great. They run between $80 and $85 from front to back. (from RockAuto.com)

Lexus of San Juan wanted nearly $450.00 per strut for OEM (parts only). What a joke... KYB, again, is OEM. Don't forget you need to do the strut mounts as well. Don't replace the struts without doing the mounts!

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-13-12 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 03:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Hey chaps,

I am so proud to be an official member of the Lexus owners club. I picked up my 1999 pearl white LS4 two days ago and I look forward to many years and even more miles of peaceful serenity behind the wheel. It almost didn't happen. I was considering a Mercedes c-class first because I love German cars and I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Benzs but my rational side won me over and I bought the LS. It has 104k, gray interior, nakamichi sound, but no sunroof or heated seats.

Anyway, I've averaged 22.5 mpg on the first tank so I'm happy with that. What I'm not happy with are the oem wheel styles, lack of exhaust noise, and body float/roll.

So my purpose of this thread is to make my official "formal" introduction and to bounce some ideas off of you seasoned Lexus club members.

1. Wheels - this is easy, I already perused the numerous threads about this subject and I am aware of which Lexus wheels fit other Lexus cars so I don't need much input here.

2. Exhaust - the oem sound is nice and smooth which is what I like and don't want to change. I just want to turn up the volume a bit without having huge pipes sticking out from under my rear bumper. So I want the same smooth exhaust note with a little more volume while keeping the stock look if possible. If it isn't, just say so.

3. Body roll/float - this is what I want to change the most but it is what confuses me most. First of all, what are coilovers and what do they do? Second, let me explain what I hope to keep about the Lexus ride and what I want to get rid of. I want to keep the smoothness with which the LS absorbs the road imperfections. But I want lose the subsequent up and down bounce which follows. To explain it another way; you have tempurpedic memory foam mattress and a waterbed mattress. Both will absorb impacts well but the tempurpedic will stay stable and composed after the impact while the waterbed will bounce and take its time to settle down after the impact. The tempurpedic is likened unto the GS (or a Mercedes) and the waterbed is likened unto the LS in terms of ride quality. Is there any way to keep the excellent bump absorption without having the unwanted seasickness? I read the Bilstein makes for a happy medium so how much are they and are struts all that need changing to achieve the desired result?

What would other options be?

Btw, I had Lexus do a pre-purchase inspection before I bought it and they said the suspension and steering are in great shape.
Welcome to ClubLexus, congrats on your purchase. a '99 without a sunroof is somewhat of a rare thing.

2- RA40's got you covered, but an exhaust resonator delete sounds up your alley, it involves removing the 2nd to last pair of mufflers and replacing them with pipe the same diameter as OEM to the last set of mufflers.

3- mild improvements can be had with bilstein shocks and OEM springs, but the oem springs are VERY soft, so if you want that firmed up ride you won't get it from them. If you don't mind a moderate amount of lowering, the coilover best known for giving a near-oem ride while allowing you to drop the car a little and greatly firm up the handling would be the Tein CS. The downside is that they can't get you very low, and are not cheap (~$1,500 new)`

Last edited by PureDrifter; 08-14-12 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 08:31 AM
HowdyAudi
Rookie

Okay folks, here is my plan:

Resonator delete for the exhaust
Bilstein HD struts
And these wheels http://www.netcarshow.com/lexus/2004...llpaper_12.htm

I have nothing but good things to say about owning a Lexus so far. I'm taking me car in on Saturday morning to have the transmission fluid changed and the brake fluid replaced since it was recommended. Out the door it should cost me about $300 which is dirt cheap compared to the $450 i was charged just for the tranny fluid on my BMW. The best thing is that, even though the service only takes about an hour, the dealer is giving me a free loaner so my partner and I don't have to delay our day trip to Bear Lake.

Quick Reply: It has FINALLY happened! I just became a Lexus owner - 99 LS400