LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 04:28 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by DVL5WRK95

As I said, I thank him for figuring out what the source of many issues actually was, which is the caps in the ECM. Yamae I can garauntee played a bigger hand in providing info for various ECM models by year, and probably for locating the correct capacitors, but I can’t do business with someone that would blatantly lie like that to a potential customer. First off, he is not the only person in the US that does the repair. Second, he is not the only person that can acquire the capacitors since the parts numbers are listed here and links to where you can order them from. So yes, thanks to him we know the source of the issues. Not forgetting that since he started this entire thread almost a decade ago, but I don’t trust anyone to work on anything of mine that will straight up make false claims about anything.
Capitalism at it's worst/best depending on who you talk to and their interest. This is why you always shop around.
Old 07-18-18, 04:31 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
Capitalism at it's worst/best depending on who you talk to and their interest. This is why you always shop around.

Yeah. Just can’t trust someone that would blatantly lie to ampotential customer though.
Old 07-19-18, 12:10 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sha4000
One thing for sure.We have an absolute treasure in Yamae.There is the man who has saved us so much time,trouble and money.

No self interest.EXTREME generosity.And total complete unimpeachable integrity. Kudos to you Mr Yamae.
Old 07-20-18, 09:56 AM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spuds
One thing for sure.We have an absolute treasure in Yamae.There is the man who has saved us so much time,trouble and money.

No self interest.EXTREME generosity.And total complete unimpeachable integrity. Kudos to you Mr Yamae.

Definitely. Yamae is a godsend.
Old 07-31-18, 04:47 PM
spuds
Racer

Cant wait to hear the repair ECU story when you get it back from Driftmotion in Montclair Calif.
Old 08-19-18, 11:56 AM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spuds
Cant wait to hear the repair ECU story when you get it back from Driftmotion in Montclair Calif.
So the ECU is performing amazingly. Some of my issues are stemming from trans solenoids, tune up. The great part is that the capacitor service only cost me $90.
Old 08-26-18, 07:35 PM
JimHull
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you (and the guru) for this information. My '93 LS400 just started many of those symptoms. Two questions:

1. If the problem is so common in early cars, why hasn't there been a recall?

2. Board fixing is beyond my skill set. Where/who can you recommend to replace the capacitors in my ECU?

Thanks, Jim
Old 08-27-18, 04:19 AM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by JimHull
Thank you (and the guru) for this information. My '93 LS400 just started many of those symptoms. Two questions:

1. If the problem is so common in early cars, why hasn't there been a recall?

2. Board fixing is beyond my skill set. Where/who can you recommend to replace the capacitors in my ECU?

Thanks, Jim
Uhhh? Read the posts above? You can pay 90 or so at driftmotion or multiple hundreds elsewhere,your dime.

Old 08-27-18, 06:11 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JimHull

Thanks, Jim
thelexpert@gmail.com
Old 08-31-18, 08:38 PM
Yamae

Received 893 Likes on 674 Posts
Default Another failed example

You can find another failed example of QAS (Quaternary Ammonium Salt) capacitors at the link here. Things are all written in Japanese but you might understand the problem just seeing photos and you'd worry about ECU capacitors if those were not replaced yet. The product is a temperature controller made by an American company Watlow based in St. Louis, MO USA. They had used Nichicon's P series capacitors that contain the liquid QAS and those products have been causing problems.
Old 09-07-18, 06:47 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this would explain the experience I had with my SC400 the months before I had sold the car.
It had been solid and stable as far as performance had been, but the lower rpm power had been lacking, oil wasn’t as clean.
Great writeup, thanks for sharing what you’ve done.
Old 09-08-18, 01:20 PM
dowoncha
Driver School Candidate

My 1996 LS400 completely died, so I figured it was time to replace the capacitors. I removed the capacitors and cleaned the ECU, but after the 91% isopropyl alcohol dried off, it left a white film substance on the pcb. Similar to dried glue. I don't know if the board is screwed or not, but I figure this project is out of my scope (should've taken the warning.) and would like to purchase a used ECU and have someone replace the capacitors for me. Does anyone know a reputable dealer and repairman who I can pay to order a ECU, replace with the required capacitors and send back to me? If anyone is open to this work please email or message me. Thanks!
Old 09-08-18, 02:18 PM
spuds
Racer

Go to pick a part,get an ecu from same year car. Send it to driftmotion in Montclair Ca,and 90 bucks later its rebuilt and your problem is solved.
The following 2 users liked this post by spuds:
dowoncha (09-08-18), JonnyO78 (10-14-18)
Old 09-12-18, 10:18 PM
Yonny
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to do this fix in the next few weeks.
I also have some symptoms like:
Transmission jerks Slightly from 1st to 2nd.
Speedometer not working reliably. In my case it reads 30kph less at any speed.
Tachometer not working sometimes.
Cruise control not working.

I knew all of this before the car was mine, and the previous owner suspected a transmission issue. He didn't told me that there was probably a AT issue. When I tested the car I felt this slight 1st to 2nd gear jerking but didn't mention anything about it to the owner. Because I already knew the instrument cluster and cruise control didn't work, I knew the ECU would likely be the problem here. Thanks to the forum and reading this post for weeks prior to purchasing the car, I didn't even had to negotiate a cheap price for it.

Next morning when the owner drove me towards the car registry office to transfer the ownership, he smashed the gas pedal coming out of every single intersection in order to make sure the AT didn't had to shift to 2nd gear before the next traffic light, just to make sure I didn't notice the jerks

That 5 minute drive was quite funny.
Got a good deal on a (hopefully) misdiagnosed 1999 European LS400, with everything electrical wise working properly except for the above mentioned and a radio antenna that I will probably remove entirely because I don't listen to the radio.

So thanks to LScowboyLS who isn't here anymore and Yamae for all the help provided during all these years.
Old 09-18-18, 07:12 PM
atheos
Driver School Candidate

I ordered these parts Friday to fix my 1993 ECU. Parts arrived on Monday, I soldered them in a couple of hours ago and now my car is working again. Thanks for this information, I love the Internet!

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)