LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20 | 03:36 AM
Lepsus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrapeDaddy
Hi Lepsus. It appears your ECU is very similar to my Japanese model. I wondered if you might be able to provide another photo?

The area in your photo looks identical to mine, pictured first. In my pictures, you can see the capacitor has leaked and caused damage to the traces on the board. Could you provide a couple pictures each of these areas on your ECU so that Lscowboyls might be able to repair mine?
Hey. Sadly i dont have any good photos and i already got my caps replaced.

Unfortunately ECU caps replace didnt fix stalling problem for my LS and also i haven't noticed any other improvements.
Old 07-03-20 | 04:06 PM
waywardwon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Capacitor change out frequency ECM

So has anyone ascertained when this cap leaking starts?
I've got a 98' with 185k on the clock and has shown no issues mentioned yet? I'm guessing this has nothing to do with mileage or hours on the clock, but corrosion over time.
Is there a suggested change interval after this has been done the first time assuming it will occur again, in case I want to go for the million mile? Are the suggested replacement caps better quality than the OEM?

Great post!
Thanks
Old 07-12-20 | 11:08 PM
refrigman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for enabling me to fix my problems also

Years after this thread began it has saved my 1995 LS400 which I was about to give up on. Repeated mystery occurrences of Error Code 300, 305, 306 led me to replace plugs, ignition wires, both distributor caps and rotors, clean the MAF, disconnect the EGR, reconnect the EGR and still frequently get horrid smells and smoke from the exhaust, plus rough idling when stopping for traffic lights, especially when the engine was cold. Nothing worked and I could not trust the car for even short drives. After reading this entire thread I removed the ECU (with help from the great diagrams) and noted it was a Cardone rebuild already- though of unknown date- and opened it up. At first it appeared visually good, but a 2nd examination with a magnifying glass revealed that at least 2 of the electrolytic capacitors had leaked. As my electronic skills are basically non-existent I found an ebay repair service and paid $130 plus one-way shipping to get mine repaired, rather than replacing it. While I chose not to separately order the recommended low ESR capacitors which would have complicated the transaction, they did replace all my capacitors within 24 hours of receiving my ECU with currently available ones that, upon installation, solved my problems completely. Runs now like new and hopefully will continue to do so for years. I do understand that the capacitors may fail again after some significant time but removing the ECU is pretty simple, as is reinstalling it. So, if and when this is a problem in the future, I'll deal with it, or, being 75 years old now, have a mechanic do so. Still a way better option than buying a scrapyard used ECU which would probably have old capacitors already and be a problem now or soon. Good news was the low cost and rapid turnaround. FYI: I used Module Mechanics which is located in Yulee, FL. They have a lifetime labor warranty and, if your ECU cannot be repaired, or tests good and does not need repair, they do not charge any diagnostic or bench test fee, unlike some of their competitors, who charge up to $89 in that situation. Thanks for all the great info posted over the years in this thread. I would not have known to take this approach, nor how to do so without all this info. Great help. Now I am looking forward to finally enjoying my 139K LS purchased last September on eBay in CA and driven back to my home in OR. Dave

The following users liked this post:
spuds (07-12-20)
Old 07-16-20 | 04:17 PM
jaymando
Driver School Candidate

There's no way I can do these capacitor replacements. Where can I send my computer for these repairs?

jay9leo9nard9@gmail.com
Old 07-16-20 | 04:20 PM
jaymando
Driver School Candidate

Dave: Can i have an address for Module Mechanics in Yulee, FL?
Thanks, J
Old 07-17-20 | 02:25 AM
refrigman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Contact info as requested for Module Mechanics

Originally Posted by jaymando
Dave: Can i have an address for Module Mechanics in Yulee, FL?
Thanks, J
Contact info as requested for Module Mechanics

ebay search for ECU repair Lexus or phone 904 778-5612 or email info@modulemechanics.com or website: ModuleMechanics.com
Old 07-17-20 | 06:26 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jaymando
There's no way I can do these capacitor replacements. Where can I send my computer for these repairs?

jay9leo9nard9@gmail.com
We can take care of it for you! We have actual test vehicles on site that we test your Lexus ECU/ECM in before and after repair to make sure we can eliminate any of your reported issues.

Our rebuild service is $179.99 + shipping. ClubLexus members get 5% off with coupon code "clublexus5"
https://www.taninautoelectronix.com/...00-ecu-repair/

General turnaround is 7-10 business days, but we do have a same-day service available for an additional $200. This will get your item repaired and on its way back to you within 24 hours of receipt.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 07-23-20 | 06:19 PM
GenericUse
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Alright guys, here's a warning; NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ORDER ANYTHING FROM FLAGSHIP ONE. After taking my money, which they do at checkout and not when your item ships, I spent a month going back and forth trying to get any useful info about my order, when it would ship, etc. before I cancelled it. One entire month of waiting, and nothing. I can, however, heartily recommend seller ModuleMadness on Ebay. Got the ECU to me in three days and they give you a two-year warranty if you send in your broken one. Car's still down a lot of power, though - I think either the fuel pump is going out again (the old ECU liked to eat them), the fuel pump relay is fried (FP won't go into "high power" mode anymore), or the two and a half years of constant spark knock managed to blow a few compression rings apart. Either way, the A/C works now, even after sitting in the weather for close to a year, so that's all that really matters I guess.

Edit: I'd appreciate if someone could make a list of companies to NOT order stuff from. Seriously, FS1 is bad.
Old 07-26-20 | 12:16 PM
jaymando
Driver School Candidate

Hi: Useful info. I'll have to double-check my new fuel pump. I installed it before zeroing in on the ECU. Maybe my old ECU fried my new fuel pump...?

I'll check soon. I just received notice that Module Mechanics has shipped my repaired ECU. Fingers crossed, ya'all.

J
Old 07-26-20 | 08:46 PM
CrownClown
Driver School Candidate

Default Sourcing correct caps for Toyota Crown

I'd like to thank Cowboy and Yamae for their continued feedback on this excellent thread. Going strong for 8 years is surely a testament to the hundreds of Toyota/Lexus owners who have also found this thread to be filled with invaluable information.

I'm posting with a unique request: I am attempting to source the correct capacitors to use on ECU 89661-30820
This ECU is from a JDM 1995 Toyota Crown Wagon w/ a 1JZ-GE non VVT-i.
I'm currently importing this vehicle from Japan and am putting together a list of items that will need to be replaced once I take ownership of the vehicle. I was lucky enough to speak with the previous owner of a 1990 Crown Wagon with the same engine who informed me that they had an issue with leaking ECU caps that ultimately led them to sell the vehicle.
After hearing about their experience this led me to research this well-known issue in older Toyota/Lexus and coming across this incredible thread. I am hoping that someone might know of some resources that would allow me to source the correct caps for this ECU 89661-30820.
As far as I know, this part number was never used on domestic Toyota/Lexus and I am having difficulties locating wiring diagrams/schematics in English. I don't have possession of the vehicle yet otherwise I would remove the ECU and open it up to at least provide some pictures.
My hope is I can have the needed caps on hand before the car gets here, replacing them is top on my list of preventative maintenance.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Adam
Old 07-27-20 | 04:14 AM
Yamae

Received 903 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownClown
I'd like to thank Cowboy and Yamae for their continued feedback on this excellent thread. Going strong for 8 years is surely a testament to the hundreds of Toyota/Lexus owners who have also found this thread to be filled with invaluable information.

I'm posting with a unique request: I am attempting to source the correct capacitors to use on ECU 89661-30820
This ECU is from a JDM 1995 Toyota Crown Wagon w/ a 1JZ-GE non VVT-i.
I'm currently importing this vehicle from Japan and am putting together a list of items that will need to be replaced once I take ownership of the vehicle. I was lucky enough to speak with the previous owner of a 1990 Crown Wagon with the same engine who informed me that they had an issue with leaking ECU caps that ultimately led them to sell the vehicle.
After hearing about their experience this led me to research this well-known issue in older Toyota/Lexus and coming across this incredible thread. I am hoping that someone might know of some resources that would allow me to source the correct caps for this ECU 89661-30820.
As far as I know, this part number was never used on domestic Toyota/Lexus and I am having difficulties locating wiring diagrams/schematics in English. I don't have possession of the vehicle yet otherwise I would remove the ECU and open it up to at least provide some pictures.
My hope is I can have the needed caps on hand before the car gets here, replacing them is top on my list of preventative maintenance.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Adam
Sorry that I don't have any experience with the ECU 89661-30820 and the only thing I can suggest you is to read my post #1657.
Old 07-27-20 | 07:51 PM
CrownClown
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Sorry that I don't have any experience with the ECU 89661-30820 and the only thing I can suggest you is to read my post #1657.
Yamae,

Thank you for your quick response. I will wait until I have the ECU in hand and can open it up to verify the needed capacitors.
Just to confirm, as long as the replacement caps are a recommended model (Rubycon ZLH/ZLJ, Panasonic FC/FR/FM, Chemi-Con KZM/KZH/KZE and Nichicon EP/PW/HW) AND match the capacitance and voltage (up to 5x higher) of the existing capacitors there should be no issues replacing the stock capacitors? No other criteria to consider when selecting replacement parts?
Assuming my soldering skills are up to the task

As a side note: How are the 8th generation (S130) Crowns regarded in Japan? Are they generally seen as reliable or does it depend on the engine/trim level? I remember most of the taxis in Japan being Crowns but I doubt many taxis have 1JZ or 1UZs.

Thank you again for your assistance!

Old 07-27-20 | 10:03 PM
Yamae

Received 903 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownClown
Yamae,

Thank you for your quick response. I will wait until I have the ECU in hand and can open it up to verify the needed capacitors.
Just to confirm, as long as the replacement caps are a recommended model (Rubycon ZLH/ZLJ, Panasonic FC/FR/FM, Chemi-Con KZM/KZH/KZE and Nichicon EP/PW/HW) AND match the capacitance and voltage (up to 5x higher) of the existing capacitors there should be no issues replacing the stock capacitors? No other criteria to consider when selecting replacement parts?
Assuming my soldering skills are up to the task

As a side note: How are the 8th generation (S130) Crowns regarded in Japan? Are they generally seen as reliable or does it depend on the engine/trim level? I remember most of the taxis in Japan being Crowns but I doubt many taxis have 1JZ or 1UZs.

Thank you again for your assistance!
Regarding your questions about capacitors, as long as you select those recommended ones matching capacitances and voltages, you will be happy.

Regarding Toyota Crowns, they are super reliable but they are very old now. I don't see the 8th generation any more these days. Many of them were gone to somewhere. I seldom see them at junk yards. I bet many of them were exported especially to Asia and Africa. The other day I happened to talk to a buyer from Kenya Africa at my local shop. He was looking for old Toyota cars. He said, "Only Toyotas, Never Nissans".

There are 11 different types of engines used for the 8th generation of Crowns. You can find more here but everything is written in Japanese. Using some translation tool, read the page entitled "
8代目 S13#型(1987年 - 1999年)". I'm sure you will be knowing more about Crowns.
Old 08-22-20 | 10:11 AM
TheFlymo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Greetings all. My Soarer active ( UZZ32 ) has idle issues. I recapped my ECU today, hasn't fixed the issue but I guess it's one less thing to worry about in the future. I couldn't find a capacitor list for the UZZ32 ECU, but as this seems to be the top listed thread if you search for 1UZ ECU/idle problems I thought I'd post here in case it helps anyone else. Here's what came out of my ECU:

2x 100uF 10V
3x 10uF 50V
2x 15uF 35V
1x 220uF 16V
2x 47uF 63V

If anyone knows any decent Soarer-aware workshops in the London/South of England area, please shout!

Cheers!
Old 08-22-20 | 07:13 PM
cha0tik
5th Gear

Just changed my capacitors today (preventatively) on my '92 LS400. The car is fairly low mileage (at 81k miles or 132k km), and it was not exhibiting any problems. I've had a local shop do the repair, and they've even tested the old capacitors - all tested within 10% spec, which is pretty impressive given the car is 28 years old now.

If you're in Alberta, or anywhere in North America for that matter, highly, HIGHLY recommend VideoGameRepairs in Edmonton. They did an awesome job with my ECU.

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)