LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20 | 08:46 PM
Yamae

Received 903 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by winnieowne
Hi Guys, I wanted to chime in regarding by 1992 winnebago warrior built on a 1992 pickup chassis. I found this thread researching capacitor leaks on toyota cars. Of the list on the first page, my RV is experiencing the following issues:

● problems in getting into diagnostic mode or scanner says "no communication" - When shorting the TE1 and E1 terminals, the CE light does not flash rapidly like it's supposed to with no code stored. It only does so when it's cold.
● engine runs like crap, then suddenly runs fine again - The engine runs fine for the first few minutes, then runs rough and misfires after warmed up.
● low idle or erratic idle

The timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is also dancing around and not consistent. When looking at spark from the distributor, it seems there are always 1 or 2 ports not giving spark. The engine is misfiring when warmed up.

We took apart the ECU with my mechanic, and discovered the following capacitor faulted and leaked. I just wanted to get your opinion on if this is what's causing the issue. We have already replaced the distributor, ignition control module, and igniter assembly. I am waiting for a replacement ECU from Flagship One.
Did you find only one capacitor leaking?
What about others?
The capacitor in the photo doen't look like a Nichicon P( ) series capacitor which contains the Q.A.S.
Old 09-16-20 | 09:01 AM
winnieowne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
Did you find only one capacitor leaking?
What about others?
The capacitor in the photo doen't look like a Nichicon P( ) series capacitor which contains the Q.A.S.
this is the only capacitor leaking. What if it’s not the type you stated? Could it still be the cause for the issues my car is having? Let me know. Thanks.
Old 09-18-20 | 08:29 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by winnieowne
this is the only capacitor leaking. What if it’s not the type you stated? Could it still be the cause for the issues my car is having? Let me know. Thanks.
There is no way anyone on here can honestly answer your question. They would have to have a schematic of the ecu you are working on and still might not be able to answer you. But, there is clearly damage and needs to be repaired regardless of whether its the cause of your problem.
The following users liked this post:
Soarer59 (01-22-24)
Old 09-21-20 | 11:37 AM
robivy64
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Hey all! I wanted to share my success story with the JDM cousin to the Lexus, my recently imported 1991 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon with 1JZ-GE engine.

I have had the car for a little over a week, but immediately noticed a few gremlins which I couldn't seem to track down:
  • Speedometer and odometer issues: digital speedometer, would work intermittently, occasionally just sat at "0"
  • Warning lights: intermittent check engine, ABS, O/D Off warning lights would come and go
  • Reverse "beeping" worked intermittently (It's a Japanese car thing)
I discovered this thread which lead me to pull the ECU. Sure enough, the capacitors had emptied their contents on the PCB. Fortunately, there wasn't any corrosion which cleaned up easily. I replaced all of the capacitors and it has cleared up ALL of these issues!

Here's the ECU model and capacitor list, for all of you JZS131 Crown owners.

ECU model: 89661-30480 (1JZ-G A/T)

1 x 100μF 10V
1 x 47μF 63V
1 x 15μF 35V
1 x 220μF 16v
1 x 33μF
35V

Last edited by robivy64; 09-21-20 at 01:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by robivy64:
jaaa (09-21-20), RA40 (09-22-20), spuds (09-21-20), Yamae (09-22-20)
Old 09-30-20 | 05:47 PM
GenericUse
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Yamae - Were the same faulty capacitors used in the main ECUs from Toyota, also used in the Fuel Pump ECUs in the 1993 and 1994 LS400s? And when crossing Fp and B+ terminals in the engine diagnostic port, do you know if that completely bypasses said fuel pump ECU, or does it just "trick" it into constantly giving high power mode?
Old 10-01-20 | 12:41 AM
Yamae

Received 903 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by GenericUse
Hey Yamae - Were the same faulty capacitors used in the main ECUs from Toyota, also used in the Fuel Pump ECUs in the 1993 and 1994 LS400s? And when crossing Fp and B+ terminals in the engine diagnostic port, do you know if that completely bypasses said fuel pump ECU, or does it just "trick" it into constantly giving high power mode?
Some people call it a fuel pump ECU but as far as I know it only has a current limiting resistor inside. Those Nichicon's QAS capacitors are not used there. Some export models don't have the Fp terminal there and I don't know your car has it or not. If equipped, short circuiting those 2 bypass the fuel pump resistor but be careful for the big current and heat. A thin wire or a paper clip often dissipate some big heat and your fingers will be burnt as well as the connector will be thermally damaged.
Old 10-01-20 | 01:17 AM
GenericUse
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
Some people call it a fuel pump ECU but as far as I know it only has a current limiting resistor inside. Those Nichicon's QAS capacitors are not used there. Some export models don't have the Fp terminal there and I don't know your car has it or not. If equipped, short circuiting those 2 bypass the fuel pump resistor but be careful for the big current and heat. A thin wire or a paper clip often dissipate some big heat and your fingers will be burnt as well as the connector will be thermally damaged.
It's a miniature board with more than a few different components on it. The 1993 and 1994 only have this mini-ECU, and no resistor. I crossed Fp and B+ for about ten minutes and it made no difference, which is why I was asking - it looks like further testing is required on my part.
Old 11-18-20 | 11:12 AM
rvaddict
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need advice! I have spent hours reading about this. I bought a 1993 Lexus SC400 for my son's first car (120,000 original miles, from Arizona). He is in boot camp (Army) and is coming home for Christmas and this will be a surprise. The car runs and drives fine but won't pass smog because the engine light is on. It keeps saying it needs a MAF sensor, but I've purchased 5 different ones and they do not solve the issue. The speedometer light is also out on the instrument cluster. Everything else seems fine.

I would like to get the ECU rebuilt, but who uses the high quality parts defined in this thread? I tried TANIN but the lady said based on my description they did not think my ECU was repairable and they could not offer an exchange either. PLEASE I could use some advice on the best place to fix the ECU. Does anyone have recent, good experience? Thank you!!! Adam
Old 11-18-20 | 04:23 PM
rvaddict
Driver School Candidate

Dear LScowboy,
Your thread is many years old but still gets daily traffic. Thank you for this. I have to get my ECU repaired or buy a refurbished one. Do you know a place that actually uses the good capacitors that you and Yamae specify? I've spent hours reading.... Thank you! Adam
Old 11-18-20 | 04:36 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts

The person to talk to is Yamae.LScowboy is kind of a dead issue here for various reasons.I wouldnt buy anything from him after reading his social media posts.Yamae is as knowledgable and credible and honest as you can find,we trust him here.

Start at last post and read back maybe 5-10 pages you will find sources that repair them and various pricing schemes.No,they wont be with Yamae recommendations on parts unless you can find an independent person with a shop to take on the job or do it yourself.You can read why the caps failed and we are beyond those brands from back in the day.

There are also places on ebay that repair and dont charge an arm and a leg,something you could consider and if you do post back your results please.

Last edited by spuds; 11-18-20 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-18-20 | 04:43 PM
rvaddict
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! Ebay is full of places that will repair them for between $90 and $150, but I want someone who specializes in Lexus since these capacitor replacements are such a big issue. I sure wish I had a good recommendation. I will do what you said and read backwards :-)
Adam
The following users liked this post:
spuds (11-18-20)
Old 11-18-20 | 05:00 PM
spuds
Racer

Just a thought...I reckon the ebay places that have done a ton of em would be the equivalent of a surgeon.The more you do the procedure the more competent you become.
Old 11-18-20 | 05:18 PM
rvaddict
Driver School Candidate

Yes that's a good thought. I read back to 2017 and only found Tannin as an option. I was disappointed in that they would only let me speak to the receptionist and she said the technician did not think mine was repairable based on my description. Very weird.

I'm surprised there aren't a bazillion remarks in this thread about experiences getting the capacitors replaced at various vendors. I will just have to pick one I guess...]
Old 11-18-20 | 05:34 PM
spuds
Racer

Originally Posted by rvaddict
Yes that's a good thought. I read back to 2017 and only found Tannin as an option. I was disappointed in that they would only let me speak to the receptionist and she said the technician did not think mine was repairable based on my description. Very weird.

I'm surprised there aren't a bazillion remarks in this thread about experiences getting the capacitors replaced at various vendors. I will just have to pick one I guess...]
Give it a couple days,I think Bylan? might have used driftmotion in montclair calf.Give some folks a few days,this thread doesnt seem to answer as fast as most.
Edit,start at post 1475 and it will help.Also has a plug for driftmotion

Last edited by spuds; 11-18-20 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-18-20 | 06:08 PM
rvaddict
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I just called Driftmotion and spoke with him. Nice guy. He said he no longer offers the service to replace the capacitors for Lexus/Toyota. He said that as time went on the computers were more and more corroded and irreparable and he did not feel like it was a successful service to offer. Mine looks really good (not corroded) but he does not do it anymore.

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)