LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-21, 11:52 AM
N0b0dy
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
Thanks for the report.
Incidentally don't you have this problem in the video?
I just purchased the car a few weeks ago. The car doesn't show any of those symptoms. The only thing I noticed was that the car was starting to cut out after the long drive home from purchasing it.
The ECU showed no signs of any capacitors leaking.

After changing out the capacitors, the engine had a lot more power and so far it hasn't tried to cut out on me.
Old 04-25-21, 10:06 AM
MichaelPm
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This post is the best for Toyota /Lexus ECU'S online anywhere. I am about to mail my ECU out. After my battery died and then my alternator, it has a no start issue or sputters and dies when the gas pedal is pushed, Also no communication to scanner when it is running bad. But then it runs fine and it will communicate but no codes only a speed sensor. ECU has to be at fault. My mechanic who is my friend is a smart guy and he was stumped and agreed ECU is at fault. I am mailing mine to either Neat Computers or Sia electronics / named skboys found on Ebay .Flagship one is also a great company to get a new one but charges double to repair them here is an email from them for prices .We can offer you a replacement for 224.99. We offer a repair service for $399.99. This includes free shipping both ways and a lifetime warranty.
Here is some links to make it simple .The other two places only charge 125 to repair them, One is free to diagnose I think Neat Computers, UPDATE -After being stranded a few times and the mechanic stumped SIA electronics has replaced 6 capacitors and repaired some acid damage and cleaned it all up only 125 to be repaired they are out of Illinois and named zkboys in ebay .Thanks to the thread my 96 has been saved.!!!!! https://www.ebay.com/str/zkboys?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 https://www.ebay.com/str/neatautocomputers https://www.fs1inc.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQ...QaArV0EALw_wcB

Last edited by MichaelPm; 05-03-21 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-21-21, 09:49 PM
pedotto
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cannot Find 10uF caps in stock please can you list an alternative

Could you please help me find some alternatives to the 10uF caps as you say the stock is terrible in us on backorder to september

Toyota has started to use Nichicon's electrolytic capacitors that containing “quaternary ammonium salt / compounds" in the late 80s and has kept using them for a bit more than a decade. The reason why they used those capacitors was simply because the internal impedance was low enough and showed good performance in removing noise and ripples at DC lines.

A little before that many electronics industries in Japan started to use similar capacitors that were for non automobile use and faced serious leaking problems in the early 90s. The details are written below but all in Japanese.
http://ednjapan.com/edn/articles/1208/01/news006.html

I don't have the time nor the ability to translate all the contents so I will just translate the title.
“80年代末期の“亡霊”に注意” or “Watch out for the “phantom” in the late 80s”
The “phantom” here means the electrolytic capacitor which contains infamous “quaternary ammonium salt / compounds". Judging from the title, it is dangerous to use this type of capacitor without taking any special precautionary countermeasures.

Most of the electronics companies in Japan stopped using this type of capacitor in the early 90s or mid 90s for fear of leaking problems. But many automobile industries kept using them because they needed good performance. Another reason was that they have been used in high reliability type-capacitors. Nichicon has been manufacturing special versions of this type for the automobile industries using specially coated lead wires with special sealing rubbers. One of my colleagues evaluated them and found the automobile type much better than those types designed for home appliances applications but the lifespan was not as long as those electrolytic capacitors that use regular liquids. Also the high reliability types were very expensive. I cannot show you the details of the evaluation results but what I can say is that the lifespan is longer than roughly 10 years or so but you cannot expect a lot if used for longer than that.

As I fix different ECUs as a volunteer, I came across many failed Nichicon's PF(M) type capacitors these days, some 12 years old, some 15 years old. What I can say now is that my colleague has done a good job evaluating the capacitors using an oven in the accelerated mode. In accordance with that and from my own actual experience, ECUs older than 12 years are ready to fail someday soon or later, that I can say with confidence.

Below is a failed capacitor used in a 97 Celsior. You can see how the leg has corroded and the part on the board where liquid has leaked out.

Attachment 430229

Those who want to replace Nichicon's type PF(M) capacitors to avoid future problems, be sure to use low ESR type capacitors. Never select capacitors just seeing the voltage and the capacitance. I recommend you to use Rubycon's type ZLH or Nippon Chemicon's type KZH. These do not contain infamous "quaternary ammonium compounds" but their ESR is low enough. You also have to pay good attentions against electric static discharge when doing the replacing job. A wrist strap is definitely needed to use. Without it you might damage the ECU.

Regarding capacitors Rubycon's type ZLH and Nippon Chemicon's type KZH, the availability in USA is not so good. LScowboyLS was kind enough to try to find capacitors that were OK to use and he listed up at the post #1. Those capacitors are good enough.
The following users liked this post:
MichaelPm (05-22-21)
Old 05-21-21, 10:21 PM
pedotto
Driver School Candidate

Default alternative 10uF-50v

50ZL10MEFC5X7 will these work as an alternative to the 10uF-50v caps
i am having an extremely hard time finding the
EKZE500ELL100ME07D caps in stock anywhere
Old 05-22-21, 09:17 AM
MensaPE
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I would try digikey.com or mouser.com. They will never sell any of the many counterfeit caps one may find on eBay or Amazon.
The following users liked this post:
Dinocards (06-06-21)
Old 07-14-21, 08:09 AM
DRHaley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I've only just now signed up and am very new to these forums so please bear with me. I have a '92 LS400. The computer has failed in it as I can install one out of a friend's LS and mine will start. It won't run worth a crap but it will start. With my computer it will not even try to start. I opened up my computer and there is no signs of failed capacitors. None leaking, none swelled up, nothing. Would I be wasting my time and money replacing the capacitors in my computer? Would there be something else wrong with it aside from the capacitors? Thank you very much.

Old 07-14-21, 08:35 AM
gymguy79
Rookie

Yes, there could be something else wrong such as sensors, fuel filter, etc. Your original ECM could also be bad even though you don't see SURFACE evidence of bad caps. I went through all of my Shop manual tests for bad sensors, fuel filter, etc before finding a wrecked LS in a junk yard with an ECM that had been repaired with a warranty on it. This did the trick for my '93 LS400. I also was lucky to find other ECMs in junk yards that I replace the caps and one worked. I also replaced the caps in my '94 LS400 that had not failed yet and this has worked for 2 years. Unfortunately it is pretty much a crap shoot. Beware of vendors claiming to repair your old ECM if you send it in. In effect you are just doing the legwork for finding old ECMs; if they can't repair it they will just say it is beyond repair.
Old 07-26-21, 08:14 AM
mrmox
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It might be worth sharing more details...Does it crank? Any lights on the dash? Check Engine Light? Did you jumper to read codes?
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html (DON'T use stranded wire for gosh sakes if you have solid!)

There is a lot of wisdom available here I have enjoyed in the past!

You might take a chance on an ebay used ECM but read all the conditions.
Old 07-28-21, 08:15 AM
Einzelherz
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I would get the caps sorted out just because they're 30 years old and known to be faulty. It'll be a few hundred dollerydoos but it will also eliminate a lot of guesswork down the line.
Old 08-02-21, 05:20 PM
L8274Jones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Retired

I have a 1995LexusLS 400 I took my ecu out and Mailed it to CowboyLS to be repaired. This was about two yrs ago !!
When I got it back I reinstalled it ... WELL now it runs like a Different vehicle. There is another Ecu up in the dash somewhere
to control that stuff. I'm thinking about having ALL of the ecu's repaired as well as I plan on keeping this car running until the wheels won't roll anymore !!! What do you think CowboyLS ?? Redstingray.jones@gmail.com
Old 09-13-21, 01:50 AM
SamDyrak
Driver School Candidate

Hello.
I am having Exact same problem as the post # 1195. If I remove ground from battery and then reconnect car runs fine for little bit and then it start to dump fuel out of exhaust also sometimes on the freeway I get misfire codes. 1995 LS400 with 114K miles - California car. ECU hard to find because CA emissions. Already removed ECU and checked found couple caps leaking but just a little. I am trying to find injector Drivers and what I can do to fix the problem.
Please help.

(Moderator edit)
Post 1195 is here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9164956

Last edited by RA40; 09-13-21 at 11:14 AM. Reason: post reference added
Old 09-13-21, 03:46 AM
Yamae

Received 893 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by SamDyrak
Hello.
I am having Exact same problem as the post # 1195. If I remove ground from battery and then reconnect car runs fine for little bit and then it start to dump fuel out of exhaust also sometimes on the freeway I get misfire codes. 1995 LS400 with 114K miles - California car. ECU hard to find because CA emissions. Already removed ECU and checked found couple caps leaking but just a little. I am trying to find injector Drivers and what I can do to fix the problem.
Please help.
Leaking just a little simply means that it's getting late to fix. I'd replace all those QAS capacitors ASAP before worrying about injector drivers. If you are not comfortable to do the replacing job, why don't you ask
this girl to replace.
Old 09-13-21, 11:15 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Agree with Yamae, replace the capacitors first then verify any remaining error codes.
Old 09-13-21, 03:43 PM
SamDyrak
Driver School Candidate

Leaking just a little simply means that it's getting late to fix. I'd replace all those QAS capacitors ASAP before worrying about injector drivers. If you are not comfortable to do the replacing job, why don't you ask this girl this girl to replace.
I did some research today. Found re-manufactured / used ECU at local Junk Yard for $250 with no warranty. The Sales person told me over the phone $250 and if it does not work he does not care. but it is newer ECU then what I have 89661-50235-84. The one I have in my car is original 89661-5230 California emissions. I found place that I can send it out to to have my old one fixed same price $250. What should I do? Get a Used one from Car Scrap or Fix my old one? I Also called dealer they told me that 89661-50235-84 is the one they would put in if I had to order one from them and also it would be around $1500. I am trying to decide what to do. Please give me advise.
Thanks.
Old 09-13-21, 05:34 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

One of the key parts is that the capacitors were replaced with the correctly spec'd ones. I would suggest contacting Tanin Auto Electronix for any questions about this type of repair service. An ECU direct from Lexus may be old stock which may contain the failing capacitors. Best to match the correct part# though Yamae can advise more.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post11008254

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)