LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 04:00 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLexi
Once again, thank you Cowboy. I will go back and re-read the thread. Based on my recollection from reading the first time, 98-00 where equipped mostly with different caps, as the older ones were being phased out with different types / manufacturers.

Well, I guess the most important step right now is to get a car first and then worry about the caps.
yes, and as great as the 95-97 generation is, the 98-00 cars are a lot better!

if it is any consolation, all cars from the 1990's need new ECU caps, not just Lexus's - this is a big reason that many cars are now in the junkyard, they have this problem, and yet it was never correctly diagnosed, and the car wasn't worth further investigation at $100/hour

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-04-13 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-05-13, 03:45 AM
Yamae

Received 887 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
yes, and as great as the 95-97 generation is, the 98-00 cars are a lot better!

if it is any consolation, all cars from the 1990's need new ECU caps, not just Lexus's - this is a big reason that many cars are now in the junkyard, they have this problem, and yet it was never correctly diagnosed, and the car wasn't worth further investigation at $100/hour
The 98-00 cars have newer engine and newer circuits. Those new processors used in the newer ECU consume less current. This reduces the stress to those electrolytic capacitors compared with cars before. But Toyota has kept using the same series of capacitors of Nichicon PF(M) or PR(M) that containing "quaternaty ammonium salt" and as the car ages, there still exists a high possibility of the corrosion or leaking problems as is written at the page 568 of this pdf file prepared by the JST (Japan Science and Technology Agency of Japanese Government) .

It says,
The high basicity of the R4N/GBL system caused a serious corrosion problem that resulted in liquid leakage through the rubber seal. This leakage was caused by the cathodic reaction generating a concentrated alkaline substance around the cathode tab, which has a nobler potential than the cathode foil.

You will find that one of R4N/GBL is "quaternaty ammonium salt" reading other part of pages and I must add that a LS400 after 98 also has a time bomb. The time is somewhat longer than that of before 98 though due to the less stress.
Old 09-05-13, 03:55 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

what years did Nichicon PF(M) and PR(M) go out of production?

I recently opened up a 1999 GS300 ECU and there are no Nichicon capacitors, only Chemi-con & Matsushiita

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-05-13 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-05-13, 04:17 AM
Yamae

Received 887 Likes on 669 Posts

what years did Nichicon PF(M) and PR(M) go out of production?

I just opened up a 1999 GS300 ECU and there are no Nichicon capacitors, only Chemi-con & Matsushiita
As far as I remember, they have been manufacturing those up to 1999. The end of the shipping was 2000 though.
Old 09-05-13, 08:39 PM
cali108
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 80% of these symptoms on my SC would it be smart to say my ECU is bad?

I looked inside and its perfectly clean, didn't see any leaking capacitors'

I experienced the following simultaneous yet intermittent issues on my 1992 Sc400
except the red highlighted ones

● problems in getting into diagnostic mode or scanner says "no communication"
● random dropping into "limp home" mode
● OBD port is unresponsive, seems dead
● throwing random fault codes
● engine won't rev out/rev limits at 4000 or so rpm
● engine runs like crap,then suddenly runs fine again
● random not starting or cutting out
low idle or erratic idle
● often very hard to start, requires starting fluid
● transmission will not automatically shift, only manual shift is possible
● no A/C compressor operation
● idle speed rolling up and down, or sometimes too low and sometimes too high
speedometer not working reliably
● speed (cruise) control not working *never tested in limp mode
tachometer not working sometimes
● air bag light flickering intermittently
● A/C going into reset with flashing front defog light
● check engine light on sometimes, but no codes stored, often in concert with ECT light
● ECU not communicating with scanners or not displaying codes with jumper installed
● bad sulfur exhaust smell in concert with not running right above

Name:  IMG_5663_zps646011f6.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  172.3 KB
Name:  IMG_5661_zps9c7e354d.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  168.2 KB
Name:  IMG_5662_zpse09ef420.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  168.9 KB
Name:  IMG_5660_zps2962a2b5.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  102.0 KB

Any Advice would be helpful, or even better anyone have a ECU I can test before I purchase one?

Last edited by cali108; 09-05-13 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-05-13, 09:04 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

I do see you are in FL as well, too bad the only spare ECU I have is another LS one or I would definitely let you use mine to test things out. It could be your ECU since I hear sometimes they don't always look bad.

Maybe somebody in the SC section could help you out testing things. I don't know where they are in an SC, but in an LS it is easy enough to remove.
Old 09-05-13, 11:16 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Two things:

I would say that 92 SC400 is even more commonly affected by ECU capacitors than perhaps any other single year or model of Lexus, and one of the 47uf caps is a real bear to do on this one! - even for me! - it is underneath the casing frame, and a real patience tester!

You may be in luck, I will be vacationing in Destin later this month if you want me to take a look, you can also test the ripples with a multimeter as Yamae described earlier in this thread, to verify that this is the problem (more reliable of a test than visual) but since you have the most common year and Lexus model for this issue, I have not a doubt that this is the source of all or most all of the issues you are having on the list!

a junkyard or ebay ECU will not really do any good, as it needs new capacitors as well, and I have never opened a "rebuilt" one that had the correct caps installed and a nice job done, so cannot recommend that route either.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-05-13 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-06-13, 07:49 AM
cali108
Rookie

Two things:

I would say that 92 SC400 is even more commonly affected by ECU capacitors than perhaps any other single year or model of Lexus, and one of the 47uf caps is a real bear to do on this one! - even for me! - it is underneath the casing frame, and a real patience tester!

You may be in luck, I will be vacationing in Destin later this month if you want me to take a look, you can also test the ripples with a multimeter as Yamae described earlier in this thread, to verify that this is the problem (more reliable of a test than visual) but since you have the most common year and Lexus model for this issue, I have not a doubt that this is the source of all or most all of the issues you are having on the list!

a junkyard or ebay ECU will not really do any good, as it needs new capacitors as well, and I have never opened a "rebuilt" one that had the correct caps installed and a nice job done, so cannot recommend that route either.
sounds great! please stop by....
Old 09-08-13, 07:14 AM
SC93
Rookie

Originally Posted by cali108
I have 80% of these symptoms on my SC would it be smart to say my ECU is bad?

I looked inside and its perfectly clean, didn't see any leaking capacitors'

I experienced the following simultaneous yet intermittent issues on my 1992 Sc400
except the red highlighted ones

● problems in getting into diagnostic mode or scanner says "no communication"
● random dropping into "limp home" mode
● OBD port is unresponsive, seems dead
● throwing random fault codes
● engine won't rev out/rev limits at 4000 or so rpm
● engine runs like crap,then suddenly runs fine again
● random not starting or cutting out
low idle or erratic idle
● often very hard to start, requires starting fluid
● transmission will not automatically shift, only manual shift is possible
● no A/C compressor operation
speedometer not working reliably
● speed (cruise) control not working *never tested in limp mode
tachometer not working sometimes
● air bag light flickering intermittently
● A/C going into reset with flashing front defog light
● check engine light on sometimes, but no codes stored, often in concert with ECT light
● ECU not communicating with scanners or not displaying codes with jumper installed
● bad sulfur exhaust smell in concert with not running right above

[

Any Advice would be helpful, or even better anyone have a ECU I can test before I purchase
one?
==================

Except for a few of the items listed above, I had the majority of these issues until I did the
cap replacement (10 new caps) job two weeks ago. Car now running like new and my latest
gas milage is 22.8 MPG in town with a/c on. Never been this good before.

My car is a 1993 sc400 and only has 90K miles but as cowboy says, almost an absolute given
that car of this age is due a rebuild.

My circuit board also looked pretty clean except for some micro leakage under a couple of the caps so general appearance can be deceiving.
Old 09-08-13, 12:37 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC93
My circuit board also looked pretty clean except for some micro leakage under a couple of the caps so general appearance can be deceiving.
This is all it takes to have many numbers of problems and very serious ones with how the car runs or shifts or A/C etc.
Old 09-08-13, 01:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

==================
Mine was equally same but noticing that slimy web just under the cap was the telltale sign of issues to come. Not having to clean up the mess makes the swap even smoother since the solder pad will be in good condition.
Old 09-08-13, 01:57 PM
cali108
Rookie

==================

Except for a few of the items listed above, I had the majority of these issues until I did the
cap replacement (10 new caps) job two weeks ago. Car now running like new and my latest
gas milage is 22.8 MPG in town with a/c on. Never been this good before.

My car is a 1993 sc400 and only has 90K miles but as cowboy says, almost an absolute given
that car of this age is due a rebuild.

I'm feeling better that this could definitely be my problem, especially the shifting and A/C issues.. now, I just need to test it or replace/repair I really wish I had a friend to swap ECU with, to test.
Old 09-08-13, 09:21 PM
simrx3
Driver

Originally Posted by simrx3
well ive purchased the caps you recomended for the 93 model..

this is the short term fix till i get to get the haltech and suprastick ecu..

this is what mines doing occasionally

● engine running bad - poor power/acceleration - can be difficult to reach much speed or RPM
● transmission will not automatically shift, only manual shift is possible (mine sometimes wont down shift when you flatten the accelerator pedal as well)
● speedometer not working reliably (sometimes sticks on 0)
● tachometer not working sometimes (sometimes sticks on 0)

so will be interesting to see if it fixes them all..

im an industrial and domestic and automotive electrician.. so know my way around a soldering iron quite well..
anyone know how long these caps take to show up? mine still haven't showed up yet..
Old 09-08-13, 09:23 PM
simrx3
Driver

Originally Posted by cali108
I'm feeling better that this could definitely be my problem, especially the shifting and A/C issues.. now, I just need to test it or replace/repair I really wish I had a friend to swap ECU with, to test.
just do the mod man.. cost is low and low hours to do it.. and you safe guard from any future issues even if it isnt the problem.. just sayin..
Old 09-09-13, 05:54 AM
SC93
Rookie

Originally Posted by simrx3
anyone know how long these caps take to show up? mine still haven't showed up yet..

My caps from digi-key arrived 4 days after placing order. I live in Florida.

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)