LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 02:04 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by spuds
There is this guy in montclair,ca,with EXCELLENT ratings on his shop...I havent used him,nor am I affiliated.

http://www.driftmotion.com/1UZ-ECU-C.../dm1676.htm1UZ

ECU Capacitor Replacement Service

Additional Views:

Our Price: $89.99

Part Number: 1UZ ECU Cap Service

Availability:: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Weeks
Product Code: DM1676

Thanks! That’s not far from me since I’m in Yucaipa/Redlands. It’s literally down the 10 freeway.
Old 06-27-18, 02:56 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by DVL5WRK95
Thanks! That’s not far from me since I’m in Yucaipa/Redlands. It’s literally down the 10 freeway.
Me too,Im in the mtns above san berdo.
Old 06-27-18, 12:34 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spuds
Me too,Im in the mtns above san berdo.
Just contacted the company you referred me to. I will be driving out there Monday to drop off the ECU. They are only 37 miles away, straight shot down the 10. Figured I’d rather hand deliver it instead of worrying about shipping it.
Old 06-27-18, 03:11 PM
sootiercat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repaired ECU ready for install

Hello all! First time posting (kinda nervous). I've had numerous issues with my 97 Ls400, most notable issue being a horrible misfire and Plumes of smoke out of the tailpipe. I was told by my mechanic last year November that it had a “textbook” blown Headgasket. So I let my beloved sit in the garage for Months until found the guts to try to work on it myself. I was going to take the heads off the car and try to resurface them but I just couldn’t believe this car had a blown head gasket. I remember reading somewhere that you can tell a blown head gasket by the way it smells, a sweet smell would indicate coolant getting into the combustion chamber ( or something like, what do I know). My car smelled of raw gas, it was so bad in fact that you probably could of lit the exhaust on fire! Did some investigative work and found my spark plug wires were not corrected properly to the distributor cap, I guess you shouldn’t use Monroe’s tire and brake to look at an engine. Once I figured out how to connect them,the car ran so much better ( which explains why it ran worse after I picked it up from the shop). No more misfire! But my success was short lived once my car warms up it start to misfire very badly to the point it shuts off. Also I should add that I wasn’t able to really rev on the car when it was trying to reach operating temperature It would kind bog out. I ended up find this forum and decided to take out my ecu ( which I also asked the shop to do! They told me it was ok!!! I’m so dumb) what I found was green Corrosion on one of the cap legs. So what I ended up doing was using some pencil to kinda draw on the corrosion and on some of the traces to see if I could at least restore some of the lost Capacitance (or whatever) after install the car fired right up like normal!!!!!!!!!! I was literally crying with joy! I was able to rev the car and hear that v8. After about 40mins of letting it run it started to do the same thing again. Now I’m at the point where I’m going to put my new ecu in today. Anyone that has any pointers please give them to me and please keep your fingers crossed I need all the luck I can get!

Last edited by RA40; 07-05-18 at 05:37 PM. Reason: image adjust
Old 07-05-18, 12:11 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Well, I’m glad people referred me to other sources for the repair. As grateful as I am for LSCowboy discovering the issues and taking time to document the repair and give sources for the capacitors, it seems he’s taken to ripping people off on favebook to the tune of $700-$900 for doing this repair. Before anyone tries to vilify me for saying this, I made sure to have proof via FB messages to back this up. Claims he is the only person in the US doing this repair and the only person in the US using the correct capacitors and makes a bunch of other bull**** claims. Please don’t ban me over this, just want to throw a warning out for anyone looking to deal with him.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (07-18-18)
Old 07-05-18, 02:54 PM
Gazeebo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I’m glad people referred me to other sources for the repair. As grateful as I am for LSCowboy discovering the issues and taking time to document the repair and give sources for the capacitors, it seems he’s taken to ripping people off on favebook to the tune of $700-$900 for doing this repair. Before anyone tries to vilify me for saying this, I made sure to have proof via FB messages to back this up. Claims he is the only person in the US doing this repair and the only person in the US using the correct capacitors and makes a bunch of other bull**** claims. Please don’t ban me over this, just want to throw a warning out for anyone looking to deal with him.

I talked to him a few days back and he has been pretty helpful in general stuff and ECU stuff. He does have an ECU for my ucf10 and it's nowhere near that price range. You sure you talked to lscowboy and not someone else?
Old 07-05-18, 03:02 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gazeebo
I talked to him a few days back and he has been pretty helpful in general stuff and ECU stuff. He does have an ECU for my ucf10 and it's nowhere near that price range. You sure you talked to lscowboy and not someone else?
Unless someone else is running his Facebook page, these are from him

Last edited by DVL5WRK95; 07-05-18 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added more screencaps of convo
Old 07-05-18, 03:25 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but there is zero difference from a NOS zero mile ECU and his “perfect core” that he squirreled away. He is also not the only person that has access to the capacitors since all the sources have been listed here. He is also not the only person doing the repairs in the US using those “Super capacitors”. What he is doing is taking advantage of someone that doesn’t know about this forum and bs’ing them in order to get a higher price. Two things I do know, business practices and sales tactics. What he’s doing is pure shady tactics. This is the same type of marketing that telemarketers use on cold calls to someone that hasn’t heard of their business. Like I said, glad he put up all the info, but I’ll go local for my repair.
spuds (07-05-18)
Old 07-05-18, 03:53 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Very interesting.Thanks for sharing that.What he purportedly claims in that f*c*b*o* story and what this thread has shown seem to be VERY different things,at least to me IMO.

Last edited by spuds; 07-05-18 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 02:35 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

There has always been a difference between his claims and reality. His behavior isn't a surprise to those who have been around.
sha4000 (07-18-18)
Old 07-10-18, 01:51 PM
Gazeebo900
Driver School Candidate

I re capped my ECU with the ones mentioned but apparently not much has been improved. Car is still not daily ready, Got speed sensor 1 code (changed but popped up again), solenoids 2 and 3 (getting solenoid 1 and 2 replaced today, going to buy solenoid 3...so expensive for a solenoid). Cluster is still all wonky, could bad capacitors in the cluster affect speedo/odometer/tachometer/lazy temp gauge and could bad cluster affect the transmission? I'm pretty much chipping options away and hoping one of the options fixes the car.
Old 07-10-18, 04:35 PM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gazeebo900
I re capped my ECU with the ones mentioned but apparently not much has been improved. Car is still not daily ready, Got speed sensor 1 code (changed but popped up again), solenoids 2 and 3 (getting solenoid 1 and 2 replaced today, going to buy solenoid 3...so expensive for a solenoid). Cluster is still all wonky, could bad capacitors in the cluster affect speedo/odometer/tachometer/lazy temp gauge and could bad cluster affect the transmission? I'm pretty much chipping options away and hoping one of the options fixes the car.
what did the board look like when you recapped the ECU?
Old 07-10-18, 04:56 PM
Gazeebo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what did the board look like when you recapped the ECU?

It looked in perfect condition, Will post pics soon for visual inspection. Mechanic changed shift solenoids 1 and 2 today, fixed SL solenoid wiring (apparently it was bad). He didn't check speed sensor but I replaced it and still popped up so probably could be wiring also. I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow to test it.

EDIT: here are the pics.

This pictures shows 3 10mf caps when there is 2 10mf and 1 100mf, shop fixed it after I told them. 100mf cap was supposed to go in between the black pieces.

Last edited by Gazeebo; 07-10-18 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-16-18, 06:05 AM
Mac2
Driver School Candidate

Default Still, many thanks to Lone Star Cowboy

Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but there is zero difference from a NOS zero mile ECU and his “perfect core” that he squirreled away. He is also not the only person that has access to the capacitors since all the sources have been listed here. He is also not the only person doing the repairs in the US using those “Super capacitors”. What he is doing is taking advantage of someone that doesn’t know about this forum and bs’ing them in order to get a higher price. Two things I do know, business practices and sales tactics. What he’s doing is pure shady tactics. This is the same type of marketing that telemarketers use on cold calls to someone that hasn’t heard of their business. Like I said, glad he put up all the info, but I’ll go local for my repair.
Even so, my hat goes off to the cowboy. He and Yamae helped scores if not hundreds of people and saved them tens of thousands of dollars. Lets not all forget tat!
Old 07-16-18, 06:18 AM
DVL5WRK95
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mac2
Even so, my hat goes off to the cowboy. He and Yamae helped scores if not hundreds of people and saved them tens of thousands of dollars. Lets not all forget tat!

As I said, I thank him for figuring out what the source of many issues actually was, which is the caps in the ECM. Yamae I can garauntee played a bigger hand in providing info for various ECM models by year, and probably for locating the correct capacitors, but I can’t do business with someone that would blatantly lie like that to a potential customer. First off, he is not the only person in the US that does the repair. Second, he is not the only person that can acquire the capacitors since the parts numbers are listed here and links to where you can order them from. So yes, thanks to him we know the source of the issues. Not forgetting that since he started this entire thread almost a decade ago, but I don’t trust anyone to work on anything of mine that will straight up make false claims about anything.

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)