LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Catalytic Converter Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 10:19 PM
Yamae

Received 886 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Thanks Yamae,

This information is very informative. When you say 100,000 hours or about 11.5 years you mean in general right? Not 11.5 years of operating hours. I guess my question is, if heat degrades the capacitors more quickly, like about everything in life, then cars with less mileage and hence exposure to less heat should theoretically mean that the caps would last longer? I'm a big preventive maintenance kind of guy and I like to take care of a problem before it starts. But I also don't want to waste my money. I only have 72,000 miles on my 99. Although, I do not have any of the electrical problems just wondering if it is worth looking at the cap and having them replaced for trouble free years to come.
It is operating hours + non operating hours. My suggestion is for the preventive maintenance and this is rather a safe side. The heat degrades the capacitor and you also should pay some attentions on this. On the other hand when you think about the ratio, the non operating hours are much longer.

Your car 99 has only 72,000 miles. Suppose your average speed was 36 miles/H, you have been driving only 2000 hours. If the average speed 20 miles/H, then 3600 hours. 99 means 13 years old and in hours, it is about 114,000 hours. The ratio of the driving hours is only a few percents. Suppose you car has 150,000 miles still the ratio is 5% or so. What I mean to say is that the running hours are not the major part of the total hours but partially it affects. At least it is affected in accordance with the "Arrhenius Equation".

I am still studying and I still do not get the conclusion yet, but there is another factor that Celsior 98-00 has a less risk of the ECU to fail as far as I investigate the inside. If your 99 LS400 has a similar design of the ECU, there would be a less risk too due to the safer design of the low voltage regulator circuits. The series regulators are used and they don't generate the ripples as well as they absorb ripples from the power source. I still don't have enough bad samples of ECUs for 98-00 and further study is needed more.

Regarding the judgment that you replace them or not, it is all up to you. Due to the facts that I wrote above, you don't need to replace them very quickly. But they say, "Prevention is better than cure or Look before you leap". Since you are a guy who prefers to do a preventive maintenance job, it would be better to replace them before they fail and you don't need to worry about the future problem. The replacement is easy for those who have experienced PC mother board caps.

The attached photo is part of 98 JDM's ECU where those “quaternaty ammonium salt / compounds" capacitors are mounted. I think yours is mostly the same. I have one more suggestion that you'd better to check within this area. The resistor indicated by an yellow arrow at upper right corner tends to increase the resistance after the long term use changing the color from light blue to yellowish or pinkish. You'd better to replace it too if the resistance is bigger than normal. Probably this is more important than capacitors in case of 98-00 according to my investigations so far. You can see more on this at my blog page writing for my good old American DIY friends.
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/mae_yas/3189638.html

Old 09-27-12, 06:14 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

i know several 1st gen Ls' and Sc's that have well over 300,000 miles that have never had the caps changed. the fact that lexgx had his car worked on..didnt have the issue before hand,and now has this issue..usually means whoever worked on this thing screwed it up.
i would jump off a ledge here and say the wires are crossed and/or the coil(s) have failed or the connectors are broke causing an issue. take the car to an exhaust shop to make sure the cats are working..u can check em by reving the car and making sure u have adequate exhaust coming out of the tail pipes. the ecu is a last resort type of diag..not the first place to start diagnosing a car. elimination of everything else..then maybe the ecu is to blame
Old 11-19-12, 12:02 PM
xXTACOXx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So was this problem ever solved.
Same scenario for me except I did the Tune up. I triple check my work. Hate too dig back into it to solve nothing.
Should I just replace the cats ? I just don't want too have them fail shortly down the road.
I've only driven maybe forty miles while they have been clogged.
Been driving the blazer.